Thread: Rugby World Cup 2019: Royal Australian Mint releases $2 Wallabies coin

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rugby World Cup 2019: Royal Australian Mint releases $2 Wallabies coin

Maria Bervanakis
    News Corp Australia Network
    September 18, 2019 4:00AM

Rugby fans are in for a treat with the release today of a limited-edition coin to mark the Wallabies’ bid at the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

The Royal Australian Mint has created a $2 Wallabies coin with touches of green and gold to honour the spirit of Australia.
    Royal Australian Mint CEO Ross MacDiarmid said the Wallabies coin continues the tradition of capturing Australia’s nation’s participation in iconic sporting events.

“Capturing the spirit of the Wallabies, this limited-edition coin honours the determination of the team as they compete on the world stage.”

Fox Sports presenter Megan Barnard said the Wallabies have a strong chance in this year’s Rugby World Cup and “can go all the way”.

But Wales and New Zealand will be tough to beat.

“I think Australia has a fighting chance and what Michael Cheika has done with the team has been good,” she said.

“I think South Africa will also be a dark horse.”

Woolworths programs manager Sarah De La Mare said she hoped the Wallabies coin “inspires and unites” all Australians to support the national team.

“Reinforcing our commitment to supporting Australian sport, the coin also aims to inspire the next generation of sporting stars,” she said.

Two million special edition coins will be available to pocket at Woolworths supermarket registers across Australia.

A limited-edition Wallabies collectors’ album is also being released, which includes the Wallabies coin for just $3 available exclusively at Woolworths.

Australia played its first Rugby international in 1899 and twice they have soared to the game’s greatest heights, crowned World Champions in 1991 and 1999.

Australia will take on Fiji in their Pool D opener in Sapporo this weekend.

Foxtel will stream the Rugby World Cup on its dedicated 4K Ultra HD channel, which will arrive today.

For all other Foxtel subscribers, every match will be available live in HD, ad-break free, on FOX SPORTS 503.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...8923695d9e87ea

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Poor old Megan (whoever she is) is whistling in the dark ...

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Or, being a Fox presenter, is it just plain old fake news?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder if this is a subtle hint from the Australian government, that this is the highest denomination that anyone should use betting on the Wallabies...?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Meanwhile in other news; Melbourne's privately run Frankly-Shonko Mint has released a Rebels commemorative coin set priced at $30 million AUD. They feature Danny Cipriani standing in an empty stadium on one side and a blank cheque on the other. The set comes with a payment plan of $5 million a year (plus sundry incremental payments). After the payment period there is a a guaranteed buy-back value of one dollar.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David