Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Force Squad - The Discussion

Champion
    vCash
    Well with 21 signed including Longbottom yesterday, that leaves 10 spots.

From this years list, the obvious ones we would want are Thrush, Stander and Tessman. (3)

Then we need at least one more prop and a scrumhalf (O'Sullivan?). (2)

That leaves only 5 spots for the six playing at the moment, in Ralston, Strachan, Feke, Tuatara-morrison, , Feka, and Ions

And 2 development spots - extra scrumhalf and also another young prop ?

Does not look like any space for new surprise star signings after the world cup?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post

Does not look like any space for new surprise star signings after the world cup?
    I think you will find that they will be in teams other than us

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I didn't realise squad sizes are fixed

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    I didn't realise squad sizes are fixed
    I am just using last years number as a guide.

I dont think the Force have a limit in GRR yet, but the Super sides, other than the Rebels, have a limit on numbers.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I think you will find that they will be in teams other than us
    We are doing fine without any "stars""

Player
    vCash
    Ralston is a fantastic prospect. Playing great rugby at the moment. Hope they lock him in

Senior Player
    vCash
    Harris rises to professional stage
    October 18, 2019
    Joondalup Brothers’ Victor Harris has penned his first senior contract with Western Force for the 2020 Global Rapid Rugby Season.

The 20-year-old prop joins Palmyra’s Jackson Pugh and Wanneroo’s Ollie Callan as graduates of the RugbyWA Senior Academy to have signed contracts with the Force in the past month.

Harris says it was an “honour” to be given the opportunity to represent the Force.

“I’ve wanted to be a Force player since I was a young boy – I’ve been playing all my junior rugby in Western Australia and came through the state representative teams and luckily made it into the Future Force Foundation,” Harris said.

“It’s very exciting coming through and joining a team that is successful and have their processes in place. I can’t wait to get stuck into it!”

Having worked tirelessly at Joondalup Brothers and having been a part of the U20 Wallabies training camps, Harris was swift to heap praise on the development pathway in WA.

“They’ve prepared me really well, especially at RugbyWA Senior Academy and Coach Steve Anderson. He taught me how to act as a rugby player both on and off the field and all the duties that come with it, so I think that has helped me with my preparation,” Harris said.

“Steve has helped me with my mentality and skills, while Jamie Papa and his strength and conditioning has helped me as well.

“They taught me to stay humble, going through the process and above all working hard. Things don’t come naturally, so you have to work for what you want. It’s the same on the field, you have to work to improve.”

Being a part of the forward setup at Joondalup Brothers, Harris is relishing the chance to work alongside a number of experienced and talented players in the Force side.

“Kieran Longbottom would definitely be the top person. He is experienced in the front row and just knows what to do, I’m excited to learn from him. I’m also excited to learn from Heath Tessmann, he is experienced as well, and above all, I am looking forward to playing with them in Rapid Rugby next year and becoming better.”

“I’ll have to work hard and stick to those processes. I have trained with them and doing what you know again and again is important.”

Force forward’s coach Van Humphries is delighted to have the young prop on board for 2020 after showing so much promise this season.

“Victor has been in and around the group on and off the last year and we’ve been really pleased with his development,” Humphries said.

“Obviously being in the Future Force setup has given us a good vision as to what he can offer the squad, he is a multi-dimensional player. I’m looking forward to getting him in the front row group and advancing his understanding and skillset, but also very excited by what he can offer outside of the set-piece. If you have seen him play any club rugby at Joondalup Brothers, you’d be well aware that he isn’t a one-trick pony.”

Harris is certainly eager for the opportunities and challenges ahead when donning the Force jersey.

“I’m looking forward to running out in front of the fans, the Sea of Blue and seeing and hearing their chants."

https://www.westernforce.com.au/harr...ssional-stage/

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Such a lovely young man. Well done Victor and well done Joondalup Brothers.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Ready and Abel
    November 4, 2019

Promising new scrumhalf Jacob Abel will look to Force captain Ian Prior to help take his game to the next level.

The 22-year-old impressed during the NRC competition for Sydney this year and the Canberra Vikings in 2018, but says his best is yet to come.

“This is the biggest step I have had in my career so far. I’ve spent a couple of years around the NRC and that was the pinnacle until now,” Abel said.

“This is my first time in a professional program and I am very excited to see where training every day can take me.

“I’m definitely looking to learn from Ian. He has a lot of years of knowledge under his belt, so I’ve got a lot of things to learn from him and maybe some tricks I can learn off him too.”

Abel’s older brother Robbie had a short stint with the Force and Perth Spirit in 2014 before going on to play for the Maori All Blacks. The youngster is looking forward to making his mark on the professional rugby world and explore the Rapid Rugby style of play.

“I remember visiting Perth when my brother was here and saying ‘I could live in Perth’ and look at how the tables have turned, here I am,” Abel said.

“Global Rapid Rugby is a pretty fast brand of footy, I’m keen for that. It has a bit of a different feel to it and I am excited for that too.

“I’m pretty keen to show what I can do personally, and play some good footy for the Force.”

The scrumhalf, who enjoyed a fruitful spell with Shute Shield side Easts, earnt himself the joint-best player in Canberra’s premier club competition in 2018 by taking out the MacDougall Medal and almost leading them to their first playoffs campaign since 2008.
    https://www.westernforce.com.au/ready-and-abel/

vCash
    Disappointing to not see Rod Davies in the Aussie 7s squad playing in the Oceania Olympic qualifier in Fiji.
    He hasn't been mentioned in dispatches since he suffered an ankle injury in his debut match in Canada mid year.
    Does anybody have any news about how he's traveling??

Last edited by andrewg; 08-11-19 at 15:02.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Disappointing to not see Rod Davies in the Aussie 7s squad playing in the Oceania Olympic qualifier in Fiji.
    He hasn't been mentioned in dispatches since he suffered an ankle injury in his debut match in Canada mid year.
    Does anybody have any news about how he's traveling??
    Looks like him on the right of the Fiji photo?

Name:  191109 Aussie sevens men Olmypics qualification lead.png.jpg
Views: 3734
Size:  87.8 KB

Other than that, dunno what he's up to.

But over the course of ten rounds in a World Sevens Series, something like 25 players will get a run. So he'll be in the mix.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Has Brynard Stander qualified for Wallabies selection?

Does he want to?

For TheInnFORCEr - can we highlight the players that are qualified/available for national selection whatever the nation?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Has Brynard Stander qualified for Wallabies selection?

Does he want to?

For TheInnFORCEr - can we highlight the players that are qualified/available for national selection whatever the nation?
    Stander came in 2014, his 3 year residency finished in 2017 so he is definitely qualified to play for the wallabies.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Stander came in 2014, his 3 year residency finished in 2017 so he is definitely qualified to play for the wallabies.
    However, I suspect he'll never get a call-up. He plays anywhere along the back-row, but is up against the likes of: Hooper, Dempsey, Holloway, Wright, Naisirani, Wells, Jones, Samu, Miller, Cusack & Valentini. I'd have Stander ahead of half of them, but he's "playing for a side in a lesser competition" so they're more likely to look at Tizzano (signed for the Waratahs) before Stander even gets invited to the Wallaby training camp.

Remember that all Super Rugby players will have contracts written/underwritten by Rugby Australia, so of course they'd rather pick from their pool of players rather than investigate a player contracted to the 'other' Australian professional side.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Stander hs shown up all of the incumbents you've named with the exception of Hooper and Wright who he hasn't played against.

I don't think he can be compared to Carlo, they play different roles, for value to the force I'd rank Stander first, but if the game plan calls for it. Carlo would be of more value.

It's a moot point anyway, Carlo playing for the tahds with captain overrated there for eleventy billion year will never see a blade of grass

C'mon the

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast