Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NRC vs GRR

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

NRC vs GRR

Had a thought.

I am very interested in your opinion.

With the law changes that are a great part of Global Rapid Rugby, are the Western Force players at a disadvantage having to convert their midset to play NRC at this time of the year?

In the future, would it be worth having 2 squads? A GRR squad capable of playing the Law variations and a squad of more traditional players who are capable of NRC laws.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I'm no expert, so don't think I'm speaking any great wisdom, but I haven't noticed a lot of difference in the style of grr due to law variations.

The game appears to be a faster, running-oriented deal, but it doesn't look vastly different or hybridised.

The only thing I'd point to is the potential for fitness levels to be inadequate, since there's rolling subs and 10 less minutes of play, but that wasn't evident on saturday

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Had a thought.

I am very interested in your opinion.

With the law changes that are a great part of Global Rapid Rugby, are the Western Force players at a disadvantage having to convert their midset to play NRC at this time of the year?

In the future, would it be worth having 2 squads? A GRR squad capable of playing the Law variations and a squad of more traditional players who are capable of NRC laws.
    I think the Force had the advantage of fitness against Qld Country. The Force players are used to playing "Rapid"" rugby and train accordingly. NRC is closer to the pace of GRR, than NRC is to normal rugby. Watching the game live with my friends, we noticed that a number of the Qld players were struggling to keep up in the last 15 minutes. The Green and Gold reporter also picked up on that in "Turning Point""
    http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wes...r-qld-country/

But hats off to Qld Country, their backs were great in the first 75% of the game and they deserved their lead.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    My personal opinion is that they should be two different squads, because they should be two separate teams playing in two very different competitions. They could leverage off the same administrative structures, but they should have two very different objectives.

The GRR team should be the best team that can be put on the field, with players from anywhere. The NRC should be at its core a team based on players developing out of the Pindan Cup (in essence a scaled up Future Force), just as the teams in other locations should be the best players picked out of their local comps for professional development. Those players might then play anywhere if picked at higher level, be that GRR or SR, but should then return to their NRC team if not in the Test team.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm no expert, so don't think I'm speaking any great wisdom, but I haven't noticed a lot of difference in the style of grr due to law variations.

The game appears to be a faster, running-oriented deal, but it doesn't look vastly different or hybridised.

The only thing I'd point to is the potential for fitness levels to be inadequate, since there's rolling subs and 10 less minutes of play, but that wasn't evident on saturday
    From watching the RA stream didnt Brynard Stander have some problems with cramping in the last 15 minutes of the match?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    From watching the RA stream didnt Brynard Stander have some problems with cramping in the last 15 minutes of the match?
    Yes, massive problems, but you could tell, on balance, that the force coped better collectively than qld. Perhaps it was all about a higher percentage of professionals, or something else

C'mon the

vCash

Absolutely not. Players should be able adapt to very minor variations like GRR.

The problem is the Force are a NRC level team, its as simple as that, we can all wish they were Super Rugby standard but they arent. Pretty much none of the Force current players stand out, even ex All Black Jeremy Thrush was a bit of a nothing All Black, you couldnt think of a less exciting signing, he was basically a reserve that got a handful of caps off the bench at a time the All Blacks ran some pretty expansive squads. Yet he is marketted as an All Blacl legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    My personal opinion is that they should be two different squads, because they should be two separate teams playing in two very different competitions. They could leverage off the same administrative structures, but they should have two very different objectives.

The GRR team should be the best team that can be put on the field, with players from anywhere. The NRC should be at its core a team based on players developing out of the Pindan Cup (in essence a scaled up Future Force), just as the teams in other locations should be the best players picked out of their local comps for professional development. Those players might then play anywhere if picked at higher level, be that GRR or SR, but should then return to their NRC team if not in the Test team.
    Isnt that what basically happens now with the Force in GRR and the NRC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I think the Force had the advantage of fitness against Qld Country. The Force players are used to playing "Rapid"" rugby and train accordingly. NRC is closer to the pace of GRR, than NRC is to normal rugby. Watching the game live with my friends, we noticed that a number of the Qld players were struggling to keep up in the last 15 minutes. The Green and Gold reporter also picked up on that in "Turning Point""
    http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wes...r-qld-country/

But hats off to Qld Country, their backs were great in the first 75% of the game and they deserved their lead.
    There was a point just before half time that Qld boys looked pretty blown, and the Force could have used that moment to put the pressure on before the siren.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Isnt that what basically happens now with the Force in GRR and the NRC?
    Not really. Last weekend would have only really seen three or four players you'd call local. Which isn't to say that if it were how it worked a few of the others might not have come to WA as a way to break into the NRC, but if the NRC were doing a proper job across the country they would more likely have been playing closer to where they came from. Hard to fight a lone hand though, when the comp is treated like SR lite.

That said, the Force might be the only one that could show what ought to be. With the Force first and foremost, but maybe also if they eventually wanted to develop the basis for a team over East without treading on the ever so delicate toes of the establishment. It would take a bit of committment on the part of GRR, but maybe underwrite a couple of 'future' squads in Adelaide and Newcastle, players having to play locally, competing in the NRC and the only way into the GRR...

vCash
    Stander put in a massive amount of work from the first minute. I'm guessing that if the Force had any tactics of rotating the work load through the forwards (carries, tackles, etc) that went out of the window in the first couple of minutes when Ready had to go off and Tessman played nearly the full 80.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Hats off to Hannes for remaining calm when dealing with this Max Graham flog over the past couple of days on the Green and Gold daily news.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Max Graham has shades of TWAS about him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Max Graham has shades of TWAS about him.
    Apparently he played for a club in WA.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Apparently he played for a club in WA.
    Which one, Box Hill?

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast