Thread: Youngsters called-up for World Cup challenge

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Youngsters called-up for World Cup challenge

August 23, 2019

The Western Force will unveil a first time Captain as well as five potential debutants on Saturday as the West Australian’s test themselves against a tough Tongan outfit intent on putting the final polish on their World Cup preparations.

The last time a full-strength Tongan team played on home soil was two years ago during the 2017 South Pacific Championships. Saturday’s match will be the final time local supporters will see their side in Tonga before they head to
    Japan and Force Head Coach Tim Sampson said he expected the ‘Ikale Tahi will be hungry for a victory.

“It has been some time since they have played at home so they will certainly enjoy playing in front of their passionate supporters,” Sampson said.

“They are a well-balanced team and being only a month out from the World Cup they will no doubt be wanting to put in a performance that they will be proud of,” Sampson added.

With regular Force skipper Ian Prior coming off the bench, Andrew Deegan will captain the team for the first time.

“Andrew is one of our key game managers, the players are used to hearing his voice so I am sure he will handle the captaincy well. He is an intelligent player and has been instrumental in our performances so far this year,” Sampson said.

First-year recruit Ben Grant will run on for the first time in the starting XV in a reflection of his hard work and progress made throughout the year.

“Ben has been training really well and I am sure he is excited to get a start against a National Team in the ‘Ikale Tahi,” Sampson said.

With Rodney Iona opting to play for Melbourne Rising in the NRC, Wanneroo Rugby Club’s star centre, Grason Makara, received a call-up having been on the radar of Force coaching staff for some time.

“Grason has had a great year at Wanneroo and has thrived in the RugbyWA Senior Academy. He has been with us in a training capacity over the last few months and I look forward to seeing his performance against Tonga,” Sampson said.

After making an impact off the bench against Malaysia Valke in his first game for the Force a fortnight ago, Tongan national Haluafa Lavaka will start in the number 14 jersey in front of family and friends.

“This is an important game for ‘Big H’ with it being in his home-land. He has been training really well with us and is looking forward to the opportunity to start in this game,” Sampson said.

The Force will also see two fresh faces in Kitione Ratu and Bryon Ralston, who will both be looking to impress and push for selection coming off the bench.

“Kiti in recent years has played for the Fiji Warriors as well as the Melbourne Rebels and Rising. He is a very skilful player and is naturally gifted. Bryon, like Kiti, has a lot of potential. He’s young and was impressive in the Queensland Premier competition as the leading try scorer,” Sampson said.

“It’s a great opportunity for the younger players to play a game like this against a quality national team.”

Changes to the team that played against Malaysia Valke in the final match of the Global Rapid Rugby Showcase Series on Friday 9 August are;

In: Andrew Ready, Grason Makara, Johan Bardoul, Chris Alcock, Kitione Ratu, Bryon Ralston, Markus Vanzati.
    Out: Feleti Kaitu’u, Jeremy Thrush, Rod Davies, Rodney Iona, Chris Miller, Leon Feke, Ollie Callan.

https://www.westernforce.com.au/youn...cup-challenge/

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I take the decision to make Deegan captain as a positive one. I may be reading too much into this but I don't think you would make a player leaving at the end of the year captain. I take it as though he is hopefully staying on. Great to see all the youngsters getting a shot including Tizzano and Grant. Will be interesting to see how this new center from Wanneroo goes and also how Lavaka goes.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    From Force Facebook:

Want to watch the Force v Tonga game tomorrow?

Thanks to Tonga Rugby Union and Television Tonga the game will be streamed live on Facebook!
    Link: https://www.facebook.com/Television-...Gm0aCejL4j-Bns

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    You beauty!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    You beauty!
    I don't understand Tongan, but the picture and stream is good quality

Name:  Tonga Baabaas.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  96.8 KB

Wet weather rugby in the first match

Boys arriving

Name:  arrival.jpg
Views: 366