Thread: Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines

vCash

Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines

Perth will host the club-based NRL nines competition when the pre-season event returns to the calendar next year.

While the contract hasn’t officially been inked, the city will pip Newcastle and Melbourne’s bids to stage the return of the abbreviated version of the game. The matches will be staged at the 20,000-seat HBF Stadium, the home of A-League side Perth Glory. The development is a huge coup for Perth, which is pushing to introduce an NRL franchise should Rugby League Central opt to expand the game. The governing body is in the process of formulating a blueprint for the game’s future, a piece of work that will be delivered after the conclusion of the season.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/per...18-p52i8z.html

P.S. While we're here; This makes me smile.

Name:  Quaddie.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  18.8 KB

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Great news for Perth, soo they'll be sayin' "gee they love their sport in Perth" hey Burgs

I can't see the top 4 on that table

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post

P.S. While we're here; This makes me smile.

Name:  Quaddie.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  18.8 KB
    It's ok, we'll beat the Titans in 2 weeks, finish 3rd from bottom and reward Mary with a 5 year contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I can't see the top 4 on that table
    I'm sure a man of your talents can look it up.

Great that its at "Home" rather than the Craypot.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'm sure a man of your talents can look it up.

Great that its at "Home" rather than the Craypot.
    NRL holds the record crowd for HBF since it's redevelopment (well, record sports crowd - Ed Sheeran holds the absolute record crowd!)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    If it's a quick sell-out, I wonder if they'll consider a move to Optus?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    9/7s could work OK at Optus. I'd be interested to hear what any punters thought of Optus for the Bled. Apart from the occasion. I mean actual viewing. Went there for the occasion of the NRL double header. The experience moved me to watch Origin2 at home and fly to Sydney for #3.

vCash
    I watched the Glory grand final there, sat in the top (3rd) tier behind the goals, in front of the big screens. I enjoyed it, certainly wasn't the worst view I've experienced, was much better then 2nd tier at Subiaco. I think the only thing that annoyed me about the whole experience, besides the Glory's insipid performance, was trying to get home afterwards. I would go back.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    I was at the Glory grand final too. I was lower down in the first tier about in-line with the 18 yd line (which allowed me to see that Sydney was indeed offside, irrespective of where Foxtel placed the line). It's a great stadium, no doubt about it. But for "rectangular field" sports the best I can say is "better than Subi".

vCash
    I don't think there's as much of a dome to the pitch as Subi had, so the very low seats don't suffer from players disappearing from view.

I've seen a couple of cricket and soccer matches there and although you do sit quite a way from the action, I enjoyed the experience. I'd prefer to watch at the WACA and HBF for the view, but lets face it the facilities at the WACA were pretty run-down.

If they could get sufficient interest to hold the NRL Nines at Optus, of course you'd want to do that, but the cost of hiring Optus means that to make the same money as getting 20,000 at HBF you might need 30,000+ at Optus.

The February time for the Nines means that you might be running into the finals of the Big Bash (which could be at Optus) and maybe the start of the GRR (at HBF). Perth Glory have a gap between home games from 7th Feb to 8th March anyway.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    9/7s could work OK at Optus. I'd be interested to hear what any punters thought of Optus for the Bled. Apart from the occasion. I mean actual viewing. Went there for the occasion of the NRL double header. The experience moved me to watch Origin2 at home and fly to Sydney for #3.
    went to the glory final and bledisloe(free ticket)
    i think it's a magnificent stadium but still think it's shoite for watching any rectangular game.
    way too far from the pitch.
    probably would not pay to go again.

as for transport,
    glory final- train in ok, from bar in town to ground, 1.5hrs to get out to stirling station after game.
    bledisloe- free bus from outside JBs direct to ground, quick free bus back to JBs after game.

NB#1 when the crowd is leaving, the escalators can get interesting, if the stewards aren't watching.
    NB#2 JBs is the last stop of the Karinyup shops bus before optus stadium, which can result in the bus being full.
    however, if you check the timetable, about every 3rd bus just goes from Selby Street, happy daze.

cider my arse