Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2020 GRR Confirmed..

Player
    vCash
    His he referring to the Tigers or a new team?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    His he referring to the Tigers or a new team?
    My guess is that he means the tigers.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Kiwis join Rapid Rugby to take on Western Force

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Monday, 21 October 2019 2:00AM

Western Force look set to face a major New Zealand side when Global Rapid Rugby kicks off next year.

It is understood Bay of Plenty will join teams from Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong, and a Malaysian-based side, backed by South African Currie Cup club Valke, taking on the Force for the $1 million prize.

And in another move it is understood talks are being held about staging games in China.

More here
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...ng-b881358149z

Champion
    vCash
    Wow great news!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Kiwis join Rapid Rugby to take on Western Force

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Monday, 21 October 2019 2:00AM

Western Force look set to face a major New Zealand side when Global Rapid Rugby kicks off next year.

It is understood Bay of Plenty will join teams from Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong, and a Malaysian-based side, backed by South African Currie Cup club Valke, taking on the Force for the $1 million prize.

And in another move it is understood talks are being held about staging games in China.

More here
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...ng-b881358149z
    So that's the 'partnering with China' bit from the tweet.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Some more common sense from Mark Evans:

Israel Folau talk 'premature' for Andrew Forrest's Global Rapid Rugby debut season, new CEO says
    BY CLINT THOMAS
    UPDATED YESTERDAY AT 9:42AM

Mining billionaire Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest has gone all-in to launch his breakaway rugby competition, but establishing the fundamentals of the start-up league is more important than securing high profile talent, according to its new chief.

Key points:
    Global Rapid Rugby was set up after the Western Force's axing from Super Rugby
    It will include rugby teams from across the Indo-Pacific region
    Mark Evans was recruited from Europe to kick off the new league next year
    Global Rapid Rugby chief executive Mark Evans would not rule out snapping up controversial star Israel Folau, who is currently suing Rugby Australia and Rugby NSW for unlawful termination of his contract, to headline the new Indo-Pacific competition, but played down expectations.

"I think that is premature, let's see how that plays out," Evans said when asked if Folau could play in the first season of Global Rapid Rugby.

"I have been watching [the Folau story] from a long, long way away. I wouldn't claim to be all over the detail but clearly that is something that is a big issue for Rugby Australia that is going to have to come to some sort of resolution.

"I think it is a shame. It is a shame it has come to this."

Israel Folau's sacking isn't the end of this tricky story
    Israel Folau's sacking isn't the end of this tricky story
    Sport is to be commended for striving to uphold the best values of a modern society, but what happens when those values clash — the human right of sexual orientation versus the human right to freedom of religion?
    Rather than boosting interest by recruiting big-name players like Folau, Evans said he wanted to focus on establishing the DNA of the clubs, the correct schedule, stadiums and an experience that would engage rugby fans in Asia.

"I have seen an awful lot of sports that go 'alright, we are going to go and get a really high-profile [players]'," he said.

"And it is smoke and mirrors and really there is nothing underpinning it.

"High-profile players are important in growing a league [but] I don't think it is key right at the beginning, and we are right at the beginning."

'Rugby nerd' chasing new rugby markets
    Evans was appointed to the Global Rapid Rugby role in October and has had a long, accomplished career in sport administration.

He was appointed CEO of Melbourne Storm after its salary cap scandal and helped re-establish the NRL club as a powerhouse.

A tight head shot of a middle-aged man wearing spectacles talking during an interview indoors and looking off camera.
    PHOTO Global Rapid Rugby CEO Mark Evans says the reach of rugby has grown, but not enough.
    ABC NEWS: JON SAMBELL
    Originally from Cardiff in Wales, Evans was also chief executive of London-based rugby club Harlequins FC for 11 years and director of rugby at Saracens FC.

Most recently Evans has worked with several organisations in the UK, including European Rugby, Rugby League World Cup 2021 and Netball Super League.

A self-confessed "rugby nerd", Evans has written a book about the sport and his passion for the game was why he moved back to Australia from the United Kingdom, for what he described as an interesting opportunity to help rugby reach new markets.

"The reason I am here is growing the footprint of the sport," he said.

"The reach of rugby has grown but not grown enough.

"Just the sheer demographics of Asia and Asia-Pacific plus the huge talent pool within the Pacific Islands — I am not sure how that pans out, but it has got a lot of component parts that you would want to have."

Japanese club unlikely in debut season
    The first teams for Global Rapid Rugby are expected to be announced before Christmas, with the Western Force due to be one of them.

Andrew Forrest stands on Perth Oval talking to Western Force players with some of them behind him with their arms linked.
    PHOTO Andrew Forrest came up with plans for the rebel rugby competition after the Western Force was axed from Super Rugby.
    AAP: RICHARD WAINWRIGHT
    But we are unlikely to see a club from Japan during the first home-and-away season — a setback considering the success of the World Cup and the ascension of the national team to number eight in the world.

Mr Forrest is the main financial backer of the new competition, and with his vision, business acumen and track record of achievement, Evans was confident it could be a success.

"I have been in this business a long time and alignment between the executive and the owners is critical. If you haven't got that it is tough," he said.

"If you are going to go into this disruptive, ambitious project — it doesn't matter whether it is World Series Cricket, various iterations of soccer in America, a number of European sports — it requires a level of funding and, just importantly, emotional commitment from backers.

"I think that is a huge advantage for Rapid Rugby and without it would not have got off the ground."

Carlo Tizzano hugging his team mates on the field in celebration.
    PHOTO The Western Force took part in a shortened Global Rapid Rugby showcase series last year.
    SUPPLIED: STUART WALMSLEY
    Global Rapid Rugby is sanctioned by World Rugby and Rugby Australia.

The first season will run with a full home and away fixture from early next year with $1 million in prize money for the winner.
    https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-...66?pfmredir=sm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Evans
    "I have seen an awful lot of sports that go 'alright, we are going to go and get a really high-profile [players]'," he said.

"And it is smoke and mirrors and really there is nothing underpinning it.

"High-profile players are important in growing a league [but] I don't think it is key right at the beginning, and we are right at the beginning."
    I seem to recall that approach being tried here in Perth early on. We barely got through that and it took almost a decade to right the ship. However the "wise" men from the East had never really accepted the western upstarts, seemed hell-bent on obstructing them at every turn and finally torpedoed them - because they could.

Tried again in Melbourne about 2006. Result?........tried, failed, broke, bailed,sold for a buck. Failed again, broke again, bailed again, sold for a buck a again. Failed again, broke again. Seems to be a pattern there. What's next? How long until the "masterminds" behind all this are also broke and need to be bailed out? They have well and truly "managed" the failure part but are still too stubbornly full of self interest to go with a very small bit of dignity intact.

Thankfully we have some men here in The West who seem to actually be wise and who have the vision and readies to carry this forward.

Roll on 2020.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Mark Evans has the credentials to be CEO of RA (therefore not eligible!)! He talks sense ..... Get those memberships going .... exciting times for the Force !! and GRR

vCash
    Onya Twiggy - great opportunity to get the boot in!

Twiggy' Forrest blames Rugby Australia for Wallabies' World Cup flop
    By Justin Chadwick
    October 25, 2019 — 3.38pm
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Send via Email

Billionaire mining magnate Andrew Forrest has blamed the leadership of Rugby Australia for the Wallabies' failings at the recent World Cup, saying he will barrack hard for "other people" to take over.

The Wallabies were thumped 40-16 by England in the quarter-finals, continuing a bleak period for rugby in Australia both on and off the field.

Forrest has been scathing of Rugby Australia's management team, lead by chairman Cameron Clyne, ever since the Western Force were booted out of Super Rugby's ranks in 2017.

Calls are growing louder for Clyne and chief executive Raelene Castle to quit immediately in the wake of the disastrous World Cup campaign.
    Advertisement

Forrest will launch a new competition called Global Rapid Rugby in March next year, and he's confident it will breathe new life into rugby in Australia.

The six-team competition will feature experimental rule changes designed to promote attractive rugby.

Andrew Forrest is not interested in a leadership role at Rugby Australia.
    Andrew Forrest is not interested in a leadership role at Rugby Australia.CREDIT:RICHARD WAINWRIGHT
    The Force is set to be joined by a team from New Zealand, Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong, and Malaysia for the first season, with expansion planned for later years.

Forrest is excited about the ways Global Rapid Rugby can change the landscape, but he was scathing of the negative influence the RA board has had on the Wallabies.

"I put everything down to leadership," Forrest replied when asked about the Wallabies' failings at the World Cup.

"I'm surprised they did as well as they had with the decisions that the Rugby Australia chairman and board have made.

"I was really sad, I was hoping for a miracle of course but life is like that."

Forrest is still filthy about the decision to axe the Force from Super Rugby.

"It's just completely ridiculous, unfair, un-Australian. But who cares - Global Rapid Rugby is here and it's going to be super strong," he said.

"Without us it (Australian rugby) would be really on its tail. We are the brightest good news story on Australian rugby in the southern hemisphere."

When asked whether he would be interested in taking over as chairman from Clyne, Forrest replied: "I'm a busy bloke, but I'm a passionate supporter of rugby and WA.

"I'll be barracking for other people."

Senior Player
    vCash
    https://omny.fm/shows/sportsday-wa/sd6pr-nov-6

Mark Evans on 6pr: from about 41:45
    >Next week will be the announcement of the schedule and teams.
    >Early Mid-March to Early-June
    >Rapid rugby rules pretty much to remain the same, a few minor changes

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by volvo; 06-11-19 at 22:14.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    https://omny.fm/shows/sportsday-wa/sd6pr-nov-6

Mark Evans on 6pr: from about 41:45
    >Next week will be the announcement of the schedule and teams.
    >Early Mid-March to Early-June
    >Rapid rugby rules pretty much to remain the same, a few minor changes
    Great interview. Starts a bit slowly, but he really warms up as it goes on. Seems to be a deep thinker and very experienced in sports administration. I liked his comments about not rushing out and signing big name players, before the competition was established. That was I think the mistake the Force made 13-14 years ago with Giteau, Drew Mitchell etc on big dollars. Force team is looking great now.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Great interview. Starts a bit slowly, but he really warms up as it goes on. Seems to be a deep thinker and very experienced in sports administration. I liked his comments about not rushing out and signing big name players, before the competition was established. That was I think the mistake the Force made 13-14 years ago with Giteau, Drew Mitchell etc on big dollars. Force team is looking great now.
    Better to spend the money on promoting and marketing the damn thing. That will have just as much of impact of not more than marquee signings to start. I firmly believe the NRC would be a different beast if RA knew what they were doing on the promotional side of the equation.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Better to spend the money on promoting and marketing the damn thing. That will have just as much of impact of not more than marquee signings to start. I firmly believe the NRC would be a different beast if RA knew what they were doing on the promotional side of the equation.
    Conversation overheard in Moore Park on Sunday, 28 October:

RA Exec 1: What can we do to save rugby in this country? Nothing we do seems to work, we're 7th in the world, we have no coach and so one turns up to watch Super Rugby anymore!

RA Exec 2: Everywhere I go people keep telling me they want to see some smart, running rugby. Our last coach tried that the only problem was he just seemed a bit... well, dumb!

RA Exec 1: Running rugby! That's it, its The Australian Way (TM)!! Now where the hell can we find some?

RA Exec 2: Well I hear there is this competition that we set up a little while ago where games average something like 10 tries, almost 20 offloads, and over 900m run per game! And to top it off there are only about 26 kicks from hand and hardly any penalty kicks for goal at all!! That sounds exactly like what the punters are calling for doesn't it? Maybe we could put some ads on TV and do some promotion to get bums on seats?

RA Exec 1: So what you are telling me is we only set it up a few years ago? Well its got no history, it will never work!

RA Exec 2: I guess you're right...

RA Exec 1: How about last night though? That was an absolutely cracking game between the Boks and Wales hey!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    The exact fixtures for the SCT have been released. The ones concerning us......

vCash
    Hoping they announce all the fixtures soon!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast