Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2020 GRR Confirmed..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    nothing will be announced while the WRC is on.
    During the RWC would be a perfect time to announce something as a lot of the world already have their eyes on the game.

If not during immediately after but that won't leave a lot of time to sell memberships etc as Alison has indicated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes and I'm sure WR will just stand aside from their marquee event held every four years and just give free run and media exposure to Twiggy for GRR.

I'll be surprised to see anything until after RWC.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Yes and I'm sure WR will just stand aside from their marquee event held every four years and just give free run and media exposure to Twiggy for GRR.

I'll be surprised to see anything until after RWC.
    Global Rugby Rapid is a new World Rugby officially approved competition to assist of with the growth of rugby in Asia and the Pacific islands.
    WR would be shortsighted to knock back permission for Twiggy to have a launch of GRR during the World Cup, especially after SANZAAR were so short sighted in dropping Japan from Super rugby only a few months ago.
    Bill Beaumont, the chairman of WR should be on the stage with Twiggy trumpeting GRR with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    And Twiggy's main GRR man Hodgo is in Japan at the moment. I hope he took a pile of blank player contracts with him. Sign up those Sunwolves for GRR 2021 while you are there as well!!

Maybe Twiggy will turn up in Japan as well, and do a GRR launch there, while all the worlds rugby journalists and TV are there?
    Well, Hodgo (and Jo) was working while on the tour, but he does have Australian companies of his own (his F45 franchises) and I couldn't tell you if he was working on these or GRR work. He did mention Forrest may be heading to Japan for the semis/final, in which case he'd be taking his rugby expert with him, so I wouldn't be surprised if 'discussions' occurred.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Well, Hodgo (and Jo) was working while on the tour, but he does have Australian companies of his own (his F45 franchises) and I couldn't tell you if he was working on these or GRR work. He did mention Forrest may be heading to Japan for the semis/final, in which case he'd be taking his rugby expert with him, so I wouldn't be surprised if 'discussions' occurred.
    Come on Sheikh, you must know more than letting out there! Spill the beans mate!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I just cant see the IRB being impressed if anyone trys to steal the thunder of the Rugby World Cup.

The last thing that Mindaroo will want to do is get IRB offside.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    Doesn’t it matter? The refs can’t work out if someone is offside anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Come on Sheikh, you must know more than letting out there! Spill the beans mate!
    What goes on tour, stays on tour!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Oh look, another Force player has signed for the Rebels - Cameron Orr.

When do the Force start charging the Rebels commission or a finder’s fee?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    TBH, we can probably get on our high horse if and when there are a steady stream of WA players being developed into a predominantly WA NRC team and then being poached over east. It is what the NRC should be structured to do, but until then we are really all just playing the same game. So no harm, no foul...of course he went, if GRR can't offer him something better.

vCash
    All GRR can offer any player at the present time is a one-year contract for 2020. If players are offered more than that elsewhere then they owe it to themselves to go elsewhere. And if it’s to a team over east, then they get the added bonus of being more likely to come into Wallaby contention too as Cheika doesn’t seem disposed to looking west for squad members.

I’m just well and truly over reading about Melbourne picking the eyes out of rugby in WA.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    All GRR can offer any player at the present time is a one-year contract for 2020.
    What and who is the cause of that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    What and who is the cause of that?
    The announcement that Andrew Forrest made recently was about there being a GRR competition in 2020. No mention was made of anything beyond 2020. Presumably because the future of Super Rugby beyond 2020 is yet to be confirmed. But that’s just me speculating.

Player
    vCash
    Was told an interesting tidbit over on PlanetRugby from a bloke who lives in Singapore about the future of the AP Dragons. Apparently, they won't be based out of Singapore if his bit about the SRFU and the ownership feuding over really ridiculous things like the lack of social media penetration of the Dragons (considering they only played what 4 games. Come on.) And the possibility of a team out of Taiwan being involved.

The bloke seems pretty disappointed by the turn of events as he had been quite open in his support of the concept and having a team in Singapore.

He also made mention of some rumours that one or more SR franchises may be looking to either partner with GRR in the form of farming out talent or even look to set up their own GRR squads in order to provide extended squad/up and comers with higher quality competition. While I've certainly thought that this would be a reasonable idea in the past. Upon thinking about it I'm kind of hoping its a case of mixed messages. And might be hinting at something much more significant planned for 2021 and beyond in regards to Rugby in the AP region.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Was told an interesting tidbit over on PlanetRugby from a bloke who lives in Singapore about the future of the AP Dragons. Apparently, they won't be based out of Singapore if his bit about the SRFU and the ownership feuding over really ridiculous things like the lack of social media penetration of the Dragons (considering they only played what 4 games. Come on.) And the possibility of a team out of Taiwan being involved.

The bloke seems pretty disappointed by the turn of events as he had been quite open in his support of the concept and having a team in Singapore.

He also made mention of some rumours that one or more SR franchises may be looking to either partner with GRR in the form of farming out talent or even look to set up their own GRR squads in order to provide extended squad/up and comers with higher quality competition. While I've certainly thought that this would be a reasonable idea in the past. Upon thinking about it I'm kind of hoping its a case of mixed messages. And might be hinting at something much more significant planned for 2021 and beyond in regards to Rugby in the AP region.
    Regarding Taiwan, the rumour of a side there has surfaced before. Then GRR gets dragged into the whole China and Taiwan political thing.
    GRR head office is in Hong Kong (China) and China is probably Twiggy's biggest customer. So I would be surprised if Taiwan gets a GRR team.

The rumour of a NZ team have been around for a while as well. Twiggy seems to be pretty close to the NZRU chairman and also their ceo.
    Could be say the Crusaders run a Super side and a GRR side?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast