Thread: Western Force’s Rod Davies takes big step toward Olympic glory

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Western Force’s Rod Davies takes big step toward Olympic glory

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Tuesday, 30 July 2019 2:00AM

Western Force speedster Rod Davies is on the path to making his Olympic dream a reality after being called-up to the Australian 7s squad.

The winger, who played in last season’s World Series Rugby and this year’s Global Rapid Rugby showcase series, says it would not have happened if the Force had not brought him back to Australia after four years playing overseas.

Davies, 30, made one Wallabies Test appearance in 2011 and became a dual international this year when he played in the Canadian leg of the World Rugby 7s series.

His last game for the Force will be the final game of the Showcase series against a Malaysia-based side backed by South African Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup club Valke on Friday August 9 at HBF Park, 24 hours before the Bledisloe Cup clash at Optus Stadium.

Davies, who won the 2011 Super Rugby title with the Queensland Reds played for Biarritz in France and Japan Top League side Mitsubishi Dynaboars before moving to the Force.

“Getting into the 7s squad was too great an opportunity to ignore. Playing in the Olympics would be a dream come true. I’m not guaranteed anything but I’m in with a shot,” Davies said.

“It definitely wouldn’t have happened if it wasn’t for the Force. Being here got me on the radar and reinvigorated me after four seasons overseas.

“I can’t thank the Force enough for giving me the chance. I found I had something to prove again, that I still have the ability at this level.”

Davies will join a 21-strong squad to play in the Olympic Oceania qualifying series and the 10-leg international World Rugby series.

Australian coach Tim Walsh said Davies was a marquee signing who would be a massive attribute to the team.

“Having Rod, with his speed and experience as a professional athlete, getting exposure to 7s for a full season, is going to be a huge bonus. It will be priceless,” Walsh said.

“He is going to have a huge impact.

“Our squad is full of talent but a lot of youth and bringing in someone like Rod provides a maturity and a cutting edge professionalism.

“Without the Force Rod might not have come to our notice.

“We have a really good relationship with them through (coach) Tim Sampson and (head of rugby) Matt Hodgson.

“They gave Rod the opportunity to represent his country again and hopefully we might see more representing Australian come through the Force.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...fNmrYXoA5hALu4

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    so Full time 7s therefore no Force next year?

C'mon the

vCash
    Getting a bit depressed with all the players leaving - hope we get some news on new signings soon, or do we have to wait till after the WC with the plethora of players becoming available?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Why would players suddenly become available after the RWC? The Euro comps would have already started, and the SH comps long finished...anyone making plans for the following will already be playing or be long since gone.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Why would players suddenly become available after the RWC? The Euro comps would have already started, and the SH comps long finished...anyone making plans for the following will already be playing or be long since gone.
    Firstly, I think the Force, Twiggy and Hodgo will and should stick with their prime mission of giving emerging young players from WA a rugby goal and a career to aspire to.
    Secondly, the Force and Perth should become a home for young Australians players who may have been overlooked by NSW or Qld. Like Hodgo himself.

I dont want to see the return to the days the Force days of signing highly paid already made stars like Giteau, Mitchell etc, who piss off as soon as somebody offers something else.

As for non-Australians, again it is the loyal lower profile hard workers like Brache and Stander that want to build a life in Perth, who we want to attract to the Force.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Which I have no problem with. I'd just like to think they would have someone to play against that might push them though, otherwise they won't be learning much. I'd also like to think they might be able to sell the product, which in a whole bunch of new markets might need a bit of name recognition. Otherwise, how really would it be any different from an obscure and more expensive NRC?