Thread: Genia, Cooper to join Japanese club Kintetsu

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Genia, Cooper to join Japanese club Kintetsu

Yesterday at 5:10 PM Super Rugby
    by Beth Newman

Rebels duo Will Genia and Quade Cooper are set to head to Japan after the World Cup, with Japanese Top Challenge League club Kintetsu announcing the pair's acquisition on Thursday .

The confirmation comes after heavy speculation that the pair were on the verge of committing to the Liners after this year's Rugby World Cup.

Both posted cryptic images about their futures in the wake of the Super Rugby season but had made not formal indications about their plans for next season.

Melbourne were believed to be keen to keep both players at least for next season but ultimately the rich and lengthy contracts the Japanese club were willing to offer won out.

Genia and Cooper's departures will provide some handy salary cap relief for the Rebels as well, after a swathe of high-profile signings in recent seasons.

The Rebels only paid a portion of Cooper's salary in 2019 in a deal with the Reds, who had initially contracted him through to the end of 2019 before coach Brad Thorn told Cooper he was not required, but would have had to stump up the full amount had the 10 committed.

The Liners, coached by former Reds mentor Nick Stiles, currently play in the Japanese Challenge League, which is the second domestic Japanese division.

Japan's Top League has a promotion-relegation system and the Kintetsu side will be looking to push its way back into the top echelon in the coming years.

While the Top League doesn't kick off until January 2020, due to the World Cup, the Top Challenge League plays its first round just two weeks after the World Cup final, on November 15.

The Liners announced their new additions on their website on Thursday afternoon with translated quotes from both players.
    Genia said in the announcement that he was looking forward to linking up with the team.

"I am very much looking forward to joining Kintetsu Liners," he said.

"I want to play right away as part of a team with a long history and tradition. I am looking forward to meeting Japanese people and getting in touch with Japanese culture.

"My goal is to do my best for the club and to help Kintetsu Liners become the best rugby team in Japan through my own play. It is a great honor to be able to contribute to this team."

Cooper said he wanted to try and help the team return to the Japanese Top League once more.

"I am very much looking forward to joining the historic team, Kintetsu Liners," he said.

"I am confident that I can contribute at Kintetsu Liners through my career.

"I will work hard to develop my team and teammates, and I will firmly incorporate them to achieve the goal of returning to the top league, which is the club goal.

"In addition, I will do my best to be able to play an active part with the whole team on the stage of the top league."
    Melbourne have already shown signs of planning for the future, recently signing Fiji scrumhalf Frank Lomani for 2020 while

Matt To'omua would most likely take Cooper's regular flyhalf spot, with the Wallaby playmaker signed on for next season.

Returned halfback Nic White will also be on the Rebels' radar, with the Exeter nine yet to commit to a Super Rugby club despite being signed to a Rugby Australia deal.

White would not be available to play Super Rugby until the tail end of 2020 at the earliest, but most likely the start of the 2021 season, and the Rebels shape as a potential home for the 28-year-old with well-established halfbacks already committed at every other Australian franchise.

Both Genia and Cooper would still be eligible for Tests, having notched more than 60 Tests, but neither have declared their international plans moving forward.

Cooper has not been picked in a national squad since 2017, though he has been training with the wider squad this season, while Genia is still the regular starting halfback for the Wallabies.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/0...a-cooper-japan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    What an astute use of money by RA, the return on investment they got from that pair has been immeasurable, that's right, sweet FA.

Next move is for them to develop a scrumhalf for Fiji in RWC 2023, and to provide some passive income for To'omua & White until they get an offer they can't refuse from O/S.

Way to grow the game RA you bloody muppets…..

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Didn't I read that Ruru's off as well (France?), so the Rebels are back to no recognised scrum-halves?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Time to rush Stirzacker into the Wallabies squad so he signs for next year. Seems to be how it works now, not the other way around. Taste of things to come...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Didn't I read that Ruru's off as well (France?), so the Rebels are back to no recognised scrum-halves?
    He is going to France.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    What an astute use of money by RA, the return on investment they got from that pair has been immeasurable, that's right, sweet FA.

Next move is for them to develop a scrumhalf for Fiji in RWC 2023, and to provide some passive income for To'omua & White until they get an offer they can't refuse from O/S.

Way to grow the game RA you bloody muppets…..
    Genia has decided to retire from test Rugby after the RWC at just 31. That won’t last long.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    Foley got the fever .... he’s out of here for Japan as well .

Player
    vCash
    Mc Donald and Deegan the combo of next year ?

vCash
    Has Deegan gone to the Tahs as well?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby