Thread: State government sues BGC Construction over 'building defects' at nib Stadium

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

State government sues BGC Construction over 'building defects' at nib Stadium

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/...10-p525zn.html

The state government is suing BGC Construction over what it claims are major building defects at nib Stadium, now known as HBF Park.

The builder won a $95 million contract to redevelop the stadium in 2012, when the ground was home to Perth Glory and the Western Force.

The project included a covered two-tiered eastern grandstand with food, beverage and toilet facilities, a 250-seat barbecue terrace, open corporate boxes, a new southern stand, and a new playing surface.

Then-minister for sport Terry Waldron described the redevelopment at the time the contract was awarded as "a fantastic result for our rectangular sporting codes".

BGC Construction announced on its website it had completed construction and handed the project over in 2013.

However, on July 3, the Minister for Works filed a civil lawsuit with the Supreme Court of Western Australia, against BGC Construction.

The state government alleged BGC had failed to "redesign, reconstruct, replace, correct or rectify" defective works relating to the eastern stand canopy and roof skylight; and raking glass and remaining glass elements.

It alleged BGC had failed to achieve final completion of work under the contract and that the company's negligence had caused loss and damages.

A Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries spokeswoman said the agency was unable to comment.

"As this is a matter of dispute between the state and BGC Construction, the state government is not in a position to comment at this point in time," she said.

She would not say what amount was being sought in respect to damages, or whether the building defects at the stadium had been rectified by another means.

The stadium was renamed HBF Park in early 2019.

BGC Construction was contacted for comment.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    The glass used at HBF was from the same supplier for Perth Arena which was also a BGC/Government job and all of that glass has just been replaced.

The glass at HBF was removed from grandstand canopy when the faults at Arena were uncovered but has never been replaced.

Another classic example of the government screwing the life out of contractors at the tender stage and expecting to get a quality job and pay shillings for it, the list goes on Perth Children's Hospital, Fiona Stanley, Airport Tunnel...…..

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Another classic example of the government screwing the life out of contractors at the tender stage and expecting to get a quality job and pay shillings for it, the list goes on Perth Children's Hospital, Fiona Stanley, Airport Tunnel...…..
    Reminds me when I was working on Binningup Desal plant and I questioned a certain way of doing things. The foreman's response was "You dont get Big Macs when you only pay for cheeseburgers"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Although the truth of it is that on projects in Australia, especially when managed by government, we tend to pay for fillet mignon and are lucky if we even get cheeseburgers.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Were there any websites with the design proposals from the other tenders? Would love to see what the renders looked like

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    There is a bridge from Mandurah Station across the main road to...well nowhere really. Been up about 3-4 years now but the proposed developments it is to service have not looked like starting so far. It was built in modules somewhere in Asia. When they were being erected the welds were found faulty. A $3000-a-day crane stood idle for a couple of months while the welds were redone.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David