Thread: 'You won't get a single cent': Labor stands firm on stadium cash

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

'You won't get a single cent': Labor stands firm on stadium cash

By Lisa Visentin & Jacob Saulwick
    26 November 2018 — 5:46pm

The NSW Labor party will not rebuild either the Sydney Football Stadium at Moore Park or proceed with an $800 million upgrade to ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park if it wins government at the March election.

Labor leader Michael Daley said that, as premier, he would scrap the entirety of the $1.5 billion earmarked for the stadiums by the Berejiklian government, and instead invest it in schools and hospitals.

Planning approval for the demolition of Allianz Stadium at Moore Park is expected within days, and is likely to be followed by the signing of a contract to demolish the stadium.

Mr Daley's policy is clearer in its intention than that offered by his predecessor as Labor leader, Luke Foley. In March, Mr Foley indicated Labor might support the refurbishment of ANZ, while always opposing the proposal for a new stadium at Moore Park.

Mr Foley resigned last month amid sexual harassment allegations, which he denied.

Announcing the policy on Monday, Mr Daley reserved his sternest words for the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust, which manages the Sydney Football Stadium, also known as Allianz Stadium. Mr Daley warned that the SCG Trust "will not get a single cent of free public money" to rebuild the stadium under his government.

"I'm saying very clearly to the SCG Trust today: do not sign contracts for the demolition of this stadium. Do not demolish this stadium. If you do, you will not get a single cent of free public money from me if I am elected premier in March of next year," Mr Daley said.

"They can get a loan from the banks or talk about possibly a concessional loan from the government, but they will have to pay it back. If they get a loan from the Daley government, it won't be free."

A spokesman for Infrastructure NSW, the government agency responsible for building and upgrading the stadiums, said the demolition contract would not be awarded until planning approval was received.

The SCG Trust declined to comment.

Plans for the new stadium are well underway, with Sports Minister Stuart Ayres last month unveiling the winning design for the stadium's facade by architecture firm Cox Richardson – the same firm that designed the existing Sydney Football Stadium.

The state government has released an animated flyover of their vision of the new Sydney Football Stadium.

A spokesman for the NRL said its memorandum of Understanding with the NSW Government, which requires a new stadium at Moore Park and a major upgrade at Olympic Park, would be at risk if the stadium at Moore Park was not rebuilt.

In return, the NRL has agreed to play the grand final and a State of Origin match in Sydney for the next 25 years.

The spokesman said that if Allianz Stadium was not rebuilt, the agreement would be void and the NRL would have to consider its options for major matches.

“That is not what we want to do … we want to see new world-class sporting facilities built in Sydney,” the spokesman said.
    Mr Daley rejected assertions that his position would require Labor to break existing contracts, or that it could lead to the demolition of the stadium with no assurance as to whether a replacement stadium would be built.

"I'm not going to break contracts. I will not put the taxpayers of NSW up for hundreds of millions of dollars of sovereign risk," Mr Daley said.

But he added he would not be "blackmailed" into funding the project should the Trust "knock it down, and leave a hole".

With the election less than four months away, Mr Daley framed his position as one that would give NSW voters a "very clear distinction" between the two major parties. "The people of NSW have a very clear choice now: if you want billions of dollars spent knocking down and rebuilding perfectly good stadiums, vote for the Liberals and Nationals," he said.

"If you want billions of dollars put into schools and hospitals, vote for me."

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/...26-p50ien.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    No wonder they didn't want a GRR team in Western Sydney, the Waratahs are going to be calling Western Sydney home when Labor win the NSW Election in March.

Good thing for them is that the new Parramatta Stadium only has a 30,000 capacity, so it will look at least a little bit full (if they sit everyone opposite the cameras) when they play. It will just be a long drive from the flash new Moore Park HQ to the corporate boxes.

Grab the popcorn, this is going to be a cracker as the election campaign continues.

Western Sydney Waratahs has a nice ring to it and they claim they want to invest into this area. Careful what you wish for

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Maybe Perth will get more Bledisloe games after all! Go Mr Davey!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Just reaching out to get votes. The stadium has been closed and apparently it wasn’t built to code. It also poor facilities for female and disabled patrons. It is just a symbol of the 1980s where there was no money and sense.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    No wonder they didn't want a GRR team in Western Sydney, the Waratahs are going to be calling Western Sydney home when Labor win the NSW Election in March.

Good thing for them is that the new Parramatta Stadium only has a 30,000 capacity, so it will look at least a little bit full (if they sit everyone opposite the cameras) when they play. It will just be a long drive from the flash new Moore Park HQ to the corporate boxes.

Grab the popcorn, this is going to be a cracker as the election campaign continues.

Western Sydney Waratahs has a nice ring to it and they claim they want to invest into this area. Careful what you wish for

Parramatta is actually more or less the geographical centre of Sydney these days as opposed to be 'Western Sydney'.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Parramatta is actually more or less the geographical centre of Sydney these days as opposed to be 'Western Sydney'.
    Yes, although in practical terms the public transport system is focussed much closer to the city and unlikely to change in a hurry. I considered going to the Socceroos game last week but decided not to because I didn't want to drive and didn't want to transit Central.

vCash
    It might be the geographical centre, it's certainly not the social or cultural centre for Tahrds suits and "supporters"

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Just reaching out to get votes. The stadium has been closed and apparently it wasn’t built to code. It also poor facilities for female and disabled patrons. It is just a symbol of the 1980s where there was no money and sense.
    It probably was up to code back in the 80's when it was built but it would violate several codes these days not to mention parts of the WHS Act not to mention would be a disaster in case of an emergency evacuation.

SFS will get a rebuild and this is just a new state Labor leader trying to get people to remember his name.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    It might be the geographical centre, it's certainly not the social or cultural centre for Tahrds suits and "supporters"
    True. But neither is Moore Park to be honest. At least in a supporters sense. If they were truly looking to base themselves in the stronghold of the game in Sydney they'd be playing all their games out of Brookvale Oval.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    It probably was up to code back in the 80's when it was built but it would violate several codes these days not to mention parts of the WHS Act not to mention would be a disaster in case of an emergency evacuation.

SFS will get a rebuild and this is just a new state Labor leader trying to get people to remember his name.
    Pretty sure the SFS is beyond the point of no return in its redevelopment. Most certainly will be by March next year. Smart bit of politicking by Daley as the redevelopment of both Allianz and ANZ are hugely unpopular. People seems to think the $2 billion odd that will be spent on the projects would be better spent on silly things like schools and hospitals.

vCash
    I always think when a pollie says "not a cent will be spent" the next sentence should be "and here's some of your taxes back"

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

It was a poorly designed stadium. The roof covers half the seats and you get the afternoon glare from the sun which makes it tough to see a white ball as a viewer. The big obnoxious screen serves no real purpose.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board