Thread: Beattie branches out to entice Twiggy to NRL

Senior Player
    vCash

Beattie branches out to entice Twiggy to NRL

Business interests will prevent Andrew “Twiggy’’ Forrest attending Sunday night’s State of Origin game at Optus Stadium but ARL Commission chair Peter Beattie has publicly reached out to the mining billionaire in a move that could have ramifications for Perth’s bid to enter the NRL.

Forrest was invited to Origin II by NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg but it is understood he is unable to attend due to a previous commitment.

Regardless, Beattie made it clear that he would relish the opportunity to speak to Forrest and bring him into the rugby league family.

READ NEXT

WORTHLESS INSURANCE
    Will you get a refund?
    SAMANTHA BAILEY
    “Always happy to talk to Twiggy,” Beattie said.

“He is a great Australian. Love him to be involved in rugby league.”

Forrest has been the driving force behind the Global Rapid Rugby competition, a concept that was born out of the demise of the Western Force in Super Rugby.

He has ploughed millions into the ambitious project, which will involve teams from Japan, Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong and Hawaii. It is understood rugby union is his current priority and he has no immediate plans to become involved in rugby league.

That won’t stop Beattie or the NRL trying to change his mind. Money is clearly not an issue for the West Australian, who is believed to be worth upwards of $7 billion. That sort of support would do wonders for rugby league in the state at a critical juncture in the code’s history.

Sunday night’s Origin game at Optus Stadium is edging towards a sellout and the West Australian government is believed to be keen to have an NRL side back in Perth.

The West Australian Rugby League has also been pushing hard, a final decision on whether Perth could join an expanded premiership likely to be made at the end of the year, when Greenberg completes his review into plans for the game’s future footprint.

A second Brisbane team is believed to be favoured by the broadcasters — Redcliffe is the leading candidate — prompting speculation in recent weeks that the premiership could expand to 17 teams as part of the next cycle from 2023.

However, Perth would heap pressure on the NRL should they entice the likes of Forrest to support the game, easing some of the concerns over the financial cost of bringing two teams into the premiership.

The issue is likely to be coaxing him to cross the rugby divide given his well-documented history with rugby union.

Without the support of some heavy hitters, Perth’s bid would appear to be well behind that of a second Brisbane team.

Some believe Perth represents a better outcome for the game, Queensland centre Will Chambers among them. Chambers, part of the Maroons side looking to wrap up the series at Optus Stadium, suggested if the game was looking at expanding a 17th team, they should start with Perth.

“I was talking to a guy in the coffee shop about that,” Chambers said.

“You would love to see it. The NRL is at a point now where I think it is ready to expand.

“I think a team in Perth would be good. You have the Western Force that was wiped out.

“Bring the right people and the right administration, and you could kick start something over here that was pretty special. I would put my hand up to come over here. I like the state, the place is pretty cool. It is chilled out.’’
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...751705e3f6ad64

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Seems the only sport organisation who don't want a billionaire is RA.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Seems the only sport organisation who don't want a billionaire is RA.
    And it would not be his first sponsorship involvement with league. He was reported to have helped The Gladiator and Peter Holmes a Court get Greg Inglis over the line to Souths.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/...997299ddfb2db7

I'd be surprised if he wanted to get involved with a potential rival for WA talent though.

Isn't it galling how many of these hack journos think it's fair game to comment on how they think Andrew Forrest should spend his money? Tossers.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Isn't it galling how many of these hack journos think it's fair game to comment on how they think Andrew Forrest should spend his money? Tossers.
    to be fair mate - there have been some members of TWF that have been more than willing to spend Andrew Forrests money for him.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    to be fair mate - there have been some members of TWF that have been more than willing to spend Andrew Forrests money for him.
    We'll just say "The Usual Suspect(s)" eh? Seems pretty ungrateful and a little ignorant of what he has done outside of business successes.

Speaking of Mungos seemed a little strange seeing the Blues training at Hale School. And Tiana Panetani lining up for the Blues in Ladies Origin on Friday.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    If Twiggy's keen I need a new shed

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!