https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-...force/11103338

"A 'golden generation' of Wallabies emerges in the wake of the the Western Force axing

Less than two years ago, rugby union in Western Australia appeared doomed. The Western Force had been cut from the Super Rugby competition, the sport's governing body, RugbyWA, entered voluntary administration, and the state's best players headed elsewhere as they sought to continue their careers.

For those making their way through the ranks of WA rugby, the Force's axing appeared to slam shut the door on their chances of becoming professional rugby players. Carlo Tizzano grew up watching the Force and when his team was dismantled he was left wondering what his future in the sport would be.

"I remember seeing Nick Cummins play, and I had long hair, I played like him and I thought, 'wow, I want to be like this guy'," he said. "I'd go down to the stands after every game and try and get a photo." Tizzano had just made the Australian schoolboys team, and was on track to become yet another West Australian in the Force team when the franchise was axed.

"I hurt my knee a week before I was supposed to tour [with the schoolboys side], so with the Force getting cut, all my opportunities went out the window," Tizzano recalled. "It was quite devastating at the time to not only do my knee and miss out on that, but the Force got cut. But luckily we got Twiggy."

Mining magnate Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest has been hailed as the saviour of the sport in Western Australia, taking control of the Western Force and launching his own Global Rapid Rugby competition, investing substantial amounts of time and money to keep the club alive. It has given hope to aspiring players that they can reach the top level by playing in WA. And the dream appears closer to reality, with Tizzano and fellow Force academy product Michael McDonald named in the Junior Wallabies squad to play at the Under 20 World Championships in Argentina later this month.

Up-and-coming 'golden generation'

The achievement is made more remarkable given the strength of the side, who have been hailed the next "golden generation" of Australian rugby. It is a big label to attach to a group of young players, but their recent achievements suggest they could help bring about the return of the sport's glory days. The team made history by beating the All Blacks under 20s side 24–0 at the recent Oceania championships — the first time New Zealand had failed to win the age-based tournament.

"Speechless. That's the one word," Tizzano said. "I went on for that one scrum, and we kicked it out, and we won, and I was just like, 'what just happened? We just beat the under 20s All Blacks!'"

Nationality decision still on the table

McDonald has been a fixture at half-back for the Junior Wallabies, captaining the side during the tournament. His rugby future appears bright, but where he will ply his trade remains a mystery. The 19-year-old is Irish, but moved to Australia six years ago with his family. While he was content to play for Australia as a junior, he is still unsure where his loyalties would lie down the track.

"For now, my main goal is just to compete with Australia at this Rugby World Cup, and who knows after that," he said. "I'd love to stay in Australia, it's my adopted country, lucky enough I have my citizenship and passport. I love the country."

Whatever he decides, the future looks good for rugby in Western Australia, just when the sport appeared to have entered its darkest days."