Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Foxtel signals price hike, cuts to 'non marquee' sports after $417m loss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2404 View Post
    Pretty sure they were advised to keep their digital rights but decided to bundle it all together in the then traditional way! Leather patches brigade vs the progressives!
    Not sure if you are referring to NRL there. But anyway, they have retained digital rights thru 2 broadcast deals now, the AFL for the current 1. Both $99 a year. They have both on-sold streaming rights in the current deals while maintaining the rights to sell their own digital packages IIRC.

For the past 2 years Foxtel is only costing me around $480 a year. I like the convenience of a single platform with a DVR off the roof dish. If they bring in significant price increases I'll punt them in a flash.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I;ve just read that the AFL met with a couple of people from Amazon Prime last week.
    Interesting. I know SFA about who's infrastructure they use for those platforms currently, but likely 7/9/Fox have some kind of contra deals in place to provide pics. Going away from that could be pretty costly. Unless they employ SPaRTAN and his trusty I phone of course.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    I will be cutting foxtel as soon as game of thrones finishes next Monday. There will probably be a lot of others.
    I got the Telsta TV box with free Foxtel Basics which incl GOT for 2 years...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I wonder by how much Kayo will go up in cost now.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I wonder by how much Kayo will go up in cost now.
    Given it's a new product you wouldn't think a price rise is going to affect Kayo. Having said that Kayo is owned by a company that thinks a price rise when subscribers are ditching their product is a smart move.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Maybe they shouldnt have bid so much for AFL and NRL, what was it, a billion on each? Now they are realising not everyone watches those two sports, people are leaving the service, and the slippery slope just got slipperier. How many kiwis will keep their foxtel subscriptions without super rugby? A League is also affected so how many 1st or 2nd generation european families will keep Foxtel without soccer? If Foxtel cant bid and win those sports their service will continue to lose more subscribers..

Thats what happens when Foxtel sells itself to the Devil

I buying myself a truckload of popcorn!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Maybe they shouldnt have bid so much for AFL and NRL, what was it, a billion on each? Now they are realising not everyone watches those two sports, people are leaving the service, and the slippery slope just got slipperier. How many kiwis will keep their foxtel subscriptions without super rugby? A League is also affected so how many 1st or 2nd generation european families will keep Foxtel without soccer? If Foxtel cant bid and win those sports their service will continue to lose more subscribers..

Thats what happens when Foxtel sells itself to the Devil

I buying myself a truckload of popcorn!
    $1.8 billion over 5 years for NRL
    $2.5 billion over 7 years for AFL
    $1.2 billion over 5 years for Cricket

Foxtel didn't stump up the cash by themselves as all 3 deals have FTA components. From memory the CA deal was $650m over 5 years comes from Fox.

These are easily the 3 most popular sports in Australia.

A large percentage of Foxtel subscribers are sport subscribers and there are risks of Kayo cannibalising the traditional satellite and cable subscriber base

https://www.afr.com/business/media-a...0190315-h1cepa
    For the record and it's purely anecdotal, Most Europeans I know packed in their Foxtel subscriptions when they lost the EPL to Optus.

And lastly, Who cares about Super Rugby.

Last edited by jargan83; 15-05-19 at 11:25.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    $1.8 billion over 5 years for NRL
    $2.5 billion over 7 years for AFL
    $1.2 billion over 5 years for Cricket

Foxtel didn't stump up the cash by themselves as all 3 deals have FTA components. From memory the CA deal was $650m over 5 years comes from Fox.

These are easily the 3 most popular sports in Australia.

For the record and it's purely anecdotal, Most Europeans I know packed in their Foxtel subscriptions when they lost the EPL to Optus.

And lastly, Who cares about Super Rugby.
    It is still stupid money to be throwing away considering that the viewing population is not large in Australia. It will affect the bottom line of the FTA networks who have thrown ridiculous sums at sports rights. Cricket actually costed Channel 9 large amounts of money. That’s why they got outbid.

Rupert is not prepared to throw money away at rights for Sky willy nilly in the UK. He is astounded at the money that BT have overpaid for rights.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Football and rugby's second-tier domestic competitions, the FFA Cup and the National Rugby Championship, are in the firing line amid the first wave of budget cuts at embattled subscription television provider Foxtel.

The Herald understands Rugby Australia is in negotiations to shoulder a portion of the NRC's production costs while rights for the FFA Cup could be on-sold to another network as Fox Sports looks to reduce costs under the weight of a $417 million financial loss in 2018.

The pay-TV broadcaster's controlling shareholder, News Corp, indicated last month it would cut costs to "non-marquee sporting content".

Rugby is the most immediately vulnerable, with just one more year left on the current broadcast deal. But where Super Rugby ratings grew by about 10 per cent this season, A-League ratings continued their downward spiral.

Fox Sports' waning appetite for the round-ball code is clear - it tried to wriggle out of a $5 million annual increase in its contract with FFA as part of the A-League's expansion, and is considering selling off two of the five weekly games to a free-to-air partner.

RELATED ARTICLE
    Addo-Carr, Cronk
    MEDIA & MARKETING
    Facebook signs Australian content deals with AFL, NRL and cricket
    Add to shortlist
    The FFA Cup, a sentimental favourite on the football calendar, is wrapped up in the current $346 million arrangement with FFA, which does not expire until 2023.

Organisers at FFA and Fox production staff are continuing to press ahead with normal planning ahead of next month's opening fixtures in the round of 32.

But after recent redundancies - in which some of football's strongest in-house advocates were shown the door - there are growing fears the cup could be next to go. Fox would need FFA's permission to on-sell the rights to the knockout tournament.

long with the Seven and Ten networks, it is believed SBS has been involved in preliminary talks over the A-League's free-to-air rights and may yet emerge as the cup's saviour.
    I
    Asked on Monday about the FFA Cup's future on the pay-TV provider, Fox Sports head of television Steve Crawley said he was "unaware of any discussions" around the tournament.

FFA chief executive David Gallop said: "We continue to work with Fox to create value and next season with the return of the Western Sydney Wanderers to a world-class stadium and the introduction of Western United we expect improvements to our A-League ratings.

"The FFA Cup is unique in Australian sport. It unites the entire football community from the grassroots to the Hyundai A-League and Fox’s coverage has always been an important way of showing the local stories and the special moments of the cup."

Fox's financial woes have led to the departures of key personnel in the past month including well-known rugby commentator Sean Maloney, long-serving executive producer of rugby Simon Gee, veteran director Matthew Heaton and football department executive producer Murray Shaw. Geoff Bullock, another high-ranking football producer, resigned prior to the cuts.

Fox Sports' rugby department did not respond to requests for comment.

RA chief Raelene Castle said she believed Fox Sports saw the value in the 15-man game.

"We’re at that stage where we can’t talk about any detail because of commercial in confidence but certainly we’ve had some very positive conversations with Fox to date," Castle said.

"All I'd say is that from our initial conversations with Fox is that they recognise the value of rugby to them, both at a domestic level but certainly at an international level.

"They recognise that what we have in our competitions are the best players in the world playing in Super Rugby, if not at least 50 per cent of them. That gives content that is the best rugby content in the world. So we’re confident that we’ll have some really positive conversations."

While there is no suggestion the NRC will not go ahead this year or next, the funding re-jig between RA and Fox Sports adds further fuel to speculation the competition will be dumped in the next broadcast deal, which starts in 2021.

Castle was equivocal when quizzed about the competition's future.

"We have a conversation with our broadcasters about all of the opportunities that we have to promote rugby," Castle said.

"For us it’s a balancing act of how do we best use all of those properties we’ve got to get the best outcomes for fans, making sure there’s always access to content as well as having the best commercial returns.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...17-p51ymd.html

vCash
    Among all those facts and a bit of spin; one has me stunned................
    ..............."Super Rugby ratings grew by about 10 per cent this season". Not calling BS as I don't have facts. But if true, that's astounding. Certainly has no correlation to attendances. They had better get the deal stitched up ASAP because I can only see ratings getting worse after this season's performances, leaving out the ever-performing Ponies.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Lol, agreed shasta. I call bs on viewership increasing by 10%, while they are $450 in the red (disregarding Newscorp support). If that were true there would be no talk at all of cutting Rugby content, and no talk that Rugby was losing marketshare or public interest. Next thing will attendance in Melbourne is UP to 10500 per game, rather than the almost 5000 that actually turned up.

#pRAvda

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Hypothetically it wouldn't be hard to increase the Super Rugby viewing numbers by 10% but that's because they're already pathetically low.

A Qld game rated 41,000 earlier in the year.

Test Pattern > Super Rugby

vCash
    Lies. Damned lies and statistics comes to mind.

vCash
    It could raise by 10%, especially with crowds falling. It is more than likely because the people who used to attend the games have recently either started watching games at home on Foxtel or subscribed recently to the service, hence boosting the viewership numbers whilst crowds fall off a cliff.

And remember that the ratings do not include Fox GO/Now & Kayo subscriptions, hence those ratings could be alot higher giving RA more negotiating power with Foxtel during their next negotiations.

I would say these days there would be a fairly even split on streaming viewers vs standard foxtel viewers watching super rugby especially when you consider the bulk of people who stream using Kayo and Fox GO/Now are usually sports fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Among all those facts and a bit of spin; one has me stunned................
    ..............."Super Rugby ratings grew by about 10 per cent this season". Not calling BS as I don't have facts. But if true, that's astounding. Certainly has no correlation to attendances. They had better get the deal stitched up ASAP because I can only see ratings getting worse after this season's performances, leaving out the ever-performing Ponies.

10% of fuck all = fuck all (Pythagoras)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cider my arse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast