Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: "Warning homosexuals, hell awaits you, repent" - Israel Folau

Champion
    vCash
    Just had to share the joy from ABC!! Lost your credibility a long time ago mate!!

The chairman of Rugby Australia says the game has suffered reputational damage from the Israel Folau affair, but had they not axed the player for his controversial social media posts it would have been worse.

Key points:

Rugby union in Australia has made headlines for all the wrong reasons over the Israel Folau affair
    The Wallabies and Waratahs star had his contract torn up after breaching the code of conduct over his social media posts
    Rugby Australia chairman Cameron Clyne acknowledges the saga has damaged the game, but denies players' religious beliefs are being silenced
    Cameron Clyne has been criticised for being silent through the month-long ordeal but has spoken to The Ticket from the sports headquarters in Dublin where the game's powerbrokers are gathered for their 2019 world meeting.

"Yes, the game has suffered reputationally through this, but had we not dealt with this in a clear and decisive way the game would have suffered way more, there is no question of that," he said.

"We would have suffered tremendous backlash from a lot of people
    A code of conduct tribunal found Folau guilty of a high-level breach after social media posts saying "sinners" — including homosexuals — would go to hell unless they repented.

With his contract terminated, Folau decided against appealing against the decision through the tribunal but says he was taking legal advice on whether to take Rugby Australia to court.

When Clyne was asked to describe the impact the saga has had on the game in Australia, he said: "It's still too difficult to tell."

"But I think one of the pleasing things is the reaction we've had from other sports in Australia and overseas … they've all recognised it's been a very difficult issue but they've all been incredibly supportive because they understand the sorts of challenges we've been grappling with."

Critics have suggested the career-ending penalty is over-reach. Clyne dismissed that view.

"If they can point out an organisation where posting this would be acceptable we'd be interested to hear [from them] and also a sponsor that'd be happy to be associated with that," he said.

A man in a suit poses in front of a large wall photo of two rugby union players.
    RA chairman Cameron Clyne says other sports in Australia and overseas have been supportive of their decision. (AAP: Chris Pavlich)
    "The reality is that the overwhelming number of companies and the overwhelming number of sponsors would not want to be associated with a post that generated harm."

When asked to determine how much of the decision to terminate the playing contract was commercial, and how much of it was moral, Clyne said "the game doesn't exist without sponsors".

"The overwhelming response we hear around the world is that organisations want to be involved with sports that are inclusive … I think you have to take a stand."

RA denies players being silenced over beliefs

There have been reports that some players of Pasifika heritage, and others who share strong religious beliefs inside the Wallabies playing group, feel as though they are being silenced.

Israel Folau (left) and Taniela Tupou take their place in the Wallabies' team photograph ahead of the Test against South Africa.
    Taniela Tupou (R) is one of a number of Wallabies with Pasifika heritage to speak out about their beliefs. (AAP: Darren England)
    "I don't really want to comment on what's going on inside the Wallaby camp … but we've made it very clear to the players they are not being silenced, they are absolutely free to express their views on their faith and other matters, but the threshold is those views, or views on any matter, cannot cause offense," Clyne said.

Rugby Australia's chief executive officer, Raelene Castle, suggested she had heard from many, "even hundreds" of concerned people, including parents of children struggling with their sexuality, who took offense from Folau's recent posts.

The Australian Christian Lobby has started a petition of support for Folau, claiming his religious freedom is under threat. By Friday afternoon it had almost 48,000 signatures.

Clyne was asked how many supporters he had heard from who believed Folau should still be able to play the game.

"Oh look, I don't have those stats. I mean, I would say I also received hundreds of comments from people who'd indicated they received harm, but I go back to this point, I understand that people may feel the player has been dealt with harshly," he said.

"I take a lot of notice of people and athletes who've come out, and others who've come out publicly, and spoken about the fact that they have experienced real harm from this.

"And I've not had any company come to me and indicate they have an employment contract that would actually have allowed this to occur, nor has any sponsor come to me to say they would be happy to be associated with a game that would permit these comments.

"So, I do accept that some people are not happy that this is the case but … in almost every company in Australia he would have been dealt with in the same way."

With the strong possibility of a court case challenging the termination, the Rugby Australia chairman said the board remained "unified" and "confident we have taken the right action".

"It would not be something that would be helpful to the game, but it's a situation we'd have to deal with when it came," Clyne said.

"Obviously we hope it doesn't come to that, but we'll deal with that as it emerges."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Clyne on another of his junkets.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Folau's law': Coalition MPs push for bolder action in a 'new dawn' for religious freedom
    By Michael Koziol
    May 29, 2019 — 11.55pm

Conservative Coalition MPs emboldened by strong support from religious voters at the election are pushing the Morrison government for more radical and far-reaching religious freedom provisions in forthcoming laws.

Former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce wants laws to exempt religious beliefs from employment contracts - in effect giving legal protection to views such as those expressed on social media by rugby star Israel Folau that gay people and fornicators will go to hell.

Liberal senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells and former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce want bolder changes.

Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
    "You can't bring people's faith beliefs into a contract," Mr Joyce said. "Your own views on who god is, where god is or whether there's a god should remain your own personal views and not part of any contractual obligation."

Attorney-General Christian Porter is expected to present a Religious Discrimination Act to the Parliament as soon as July, acting on a pre-election commitment to boost protections for people of faith against discrimination and vilification.

But some Coalition MPs believe the election results - including significant swings away from Labor in highly religious seats - underline the case for bolder reforms to enshrine freedoms other than freedom from discrimination.

Liberal senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells - who worked extensively with faith leaders to galvanise the support of religious voters before and during the campaign - said the election marked a "new dawn" on religious freedom.

Rugby star Israel Folau was sacked for saying on Instagram that gays, drunks and adulterers would go to hell.

Photo: AP
    She called for a standalone Religious Freedom Act that would give greater legal heft to the demands set out by church leaders, Christian schools and other faith-based institutions.

Senator Fierravanti-Wells also said the government need not await the findings of a review being undertaken by the Australian Law Reform Commission into exemptions to anti-discrimination laws currently enjoyed by religious schools.

"Whilst the ALRC is not due to report until [April] 2020, given its diverse and broad terms of reference, I believe that the recent election has reinforced the need for more immediate legislative action," she told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

"This is vitally important to not only address our concerns but afford protection against these constant incursions from Labor, the Greens and their acolytes. It's a new dawn on this issue."

Senators including Concetta Fierravanti-Wells and Eric Abetz voting against marriage equality in November 2017.

Senator Fierravanti-Wells - who voted against marriage equality when it was legalised in 2017 - said the election results "had their antecedents in the same-sex marriage debate", noting large swings to the government in culturally diverse seats around western Sydney.

Banks, Blaxland, Fowler and McMahon, which voted "no" to same-sex marriage, all posted swings to the Coalition above 3 per cent - although so did many electorates that voted "yes".

RELATED ARTICLE
    FOLAU CONTROVERSY
    Gone but not forgotten: Folau exit reverberates through Wallabies
    Mr Joyce, a former Nationals leader, said Folau's sacking "got a lot of people annoyed" during the election campaign.

"People were a little bit shocked that someone could lose their job because of what they believe," he said. "It made everyone feel a bit awkward and uneasy."

Mr Joyce said he would argue within the Coalition that any religious freedom law should include clauses to prevent employers crafting contracts that could penalise people for their religious beliefs.

"That would be my input - but whether it's what other people's views are, I don't know," he said.

Such a law should not necessarily be nicknamed "Folau's Law" because it would give the sacked rugby player credit for a law that "should be designed for everybody", Mr Joyce said.

Folau has said he is considering his legal options in response to his termination.

Attorney-General Christian Porter was sworn in on Wednesday. He also takes up the industrial relations portfolio.

Late last year, in response to former attorney-general Philip Ruddock's review, Mr Porter pledged to introduce a Religious Discrimination Act and appoint a religious freedom commissioner to the Australian Human Rights Commission.

On Wednesday he said religious freedom was a "key issue" in the election campaign due to "enormous concern" about Labor's plans on the issue, and indicated legislation would be a priority when Parliament resumes at the start of July.

New Labor leader Anthony Albanese acknowledged his party needed to show greater "respect" to religious views after frontbenchers Chris Bowen and Tony Burke publicly lamented that people of faith had lost trust in Labor and progressive politics.

Liberal senator Eric Abetz said the Coalition owed Rugby Australia "a bit of gratitude ... because their ham-fisted approach to Israel Folau clearly elevated the issue and concerned many, many people".

He agreed with Senator Fierravanti-Wells on the need for positively-framed legislation to establish religious freedoms but said it should be broader and encompass free speech.

"Freedom of religion is a subset of freedom of speech, and freedom of speech is the more important and overarching issue," he said.
    https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...29-p51s9m.html

vCash
    Fine, my religion is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and I claim that it's within my religious beliefs to eat other people's food in the fridge at work, while having a beer.

Now they can't fire me for stealing food or being drunk at work. After all, Barnaby Joyce wouldn't be trying to get freedom of religion only for his religion, would he?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    I wonder what Barnaby's thoughts might be if an extreme Muslim Cleric got on his soapbox to denounce Australian society and say that we should all pledge our loyalty to Allah etc etc.

I bet he's not as tolerant of that side of the coin as he is of conservative/conventional religious beliefs in Australia.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Go Izzy

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Bleed them dry Izzy

vCash
    Israel Folau willing to make a deal with NRL for return

Israel Folau is reportedly making moves to save his professional sporting career by offering concessions to potential employers, namely the NRL.

The sacked former rugby star is reportedly considering a return to rugby league and would allow any religious social media posts to be vetted prior to going online.

According to the Daily Telegraph's Jamie Pandaram, Folau made the same offer to Rugby Australia, but he wasn't able to save his Wallabies and Waratahs career.

That was in part due to the fact that he wouldn't delete the controversial post that stirred up the storm in the first place.

Folau was reportedly told by his father, a Christian pastor, that he would go to hell if he removed the photo on Instagram.

The 30-year-old has been seeking advice from religious leaders as for his next course of action, attempting to tread a path that remains faithful to his beliefs without impacting his employers' interests.

ARL chairman Peter Beattie has already said that Folau would not be welcome back in the game, though perhaps deleting the offending post and agreeing to have any potential posts vetted may turn the tide.

There is reportedly warm interest in the talented code-hopper, though any signing would come with a huge amount of scrutiny and pressure.

Folau's worth on the field is undeniable - just prior to his sacked he became Super Rugby's all-time leading try scorer.

Before switching to Aussie rules and then rugby, Folau made his name in the 13-man game, bursting onto the scene in 2007 and scoring 73 tries in 91 matches with the Storm and Broncos.

He also represented Queensland and Australia along the way.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...cid=spartandhp

vCash
    No chance

vCash
    if the reports of those concession offers are true, then all he ever needed to do was tell his old man to STFU and run his own life. Dickhead.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Folau was reportedly told by his father, a Christian pastor, that he would go to hell if he removed the photo on Instagram.
    Great advice from his idiotic father.. Not only did he use his position of authority or power to manipulate his sons decision when all logic suggested he simply delete the post, cop it on the chin and move on with his contract border line intact but instead he was subjected to border line psychological bullying from his own father when it cost his son $5million [there is a story in this alone]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    if the reports of those concession offers are true, then all he ever needed to do was tell his old man to STFU and run his own life. Dickhead.
    He wouldn't be the first father to ruin his sons/daughters sporting career...

vCash
    Former Federal Opposition leader and current NSW One Nation leader Mark Latham has launched a scathing attack on Rugby Australia, its CEO Raelene Castle and Qantas boss Alan Joyce over the sacking of Israel Folau.

Latham declared under NSW parliamentary privilege that “there’s no doubt Israel Folau was sacked by Qantas”.

That was just part of an astonishing attack on the administration in the wake of Folau’s termination for multiple social media posts that had a homophobic narrative among other things and resulted in what was deemed a breach of his RA contract.

The last of those posts was when Folau warned on Instagram that Hell awaited “drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters.”

At a Code of Conduct hearing he requested, the Wallabies star subsequently had his employment terminated, sparking debate on whether he could be dismissed for expressing fundamental religious views.

On that very point Mr Latham took RA and Qantas to task in his trademark fiery fashion.

Quoting Ms Castle, Mr Latham said: “I calculated — at least $10 million of annual sponsorship revenue — was at significantly greater risk as a result of Mr Folau’s conduct.”

He then accused RA of acting at the behest of Qantas in firing Folau.

“The head of Rugby Australia is putting a commercial value on the religious freedom of Israel Folau,” Mr Latham said.

“That just shows the fix was in. Qantas knew Folau was going to get punted.

“Ms Castle was acting as the slave of (Alan) Joyce within her organisation. She knew what he wanted without even a direct conversation with him.”

It came as Folau formally filed a Fair Work Commission dispute over unlawful termination because of his religion.

More here: https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...dc5cd05b2e44c7

vCash
    Mark Latham attacks Raelene Castle, Rugby Australia, Alan Joyce over Israel Folau sacking
    June 6, 2019 10:58am

Former Federal Opposition leader and current NSW One Nation leader Mark Latham has launched a scathing attack on Rugby Australia, its CEO Raelene Castle and Qantas boss Alan Joyce over the sacking of Israel Folau.

Latham declared under NSW parliamentary privilege that “there’s no doubt Israel Folau was sacked by Qantas”.

That was just part of an astonishing attack on the administration in the wake of Folau’s termination for multiple social media posts that had a homophobic narrative among other things and resulted in what was deemed a breach of his RA contract.

The last of those posts was when Folau warned on Instagram that Hell awaited “drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters.”

At a Code of Conduct hearing he requested, the Wallabies star subsequently had his employment terminated, sparking debate on whether he could be dismissed for expressing fundamental religious views.

On that very point Mr Latham took RA and Qantas to task in his trademark fiery fashion.

Quoting Ms Castle, Mr Latham said: “I calculated — at least $10 million of annual sponsorship revenue — was at significantly greater risk as a result of Mr Folau’s conduct.”

He then accused RA of acting at the behest of Qantas in firing Folau.

“The head of Rugby Australia is putting a commercial value on the religious freedom of Israel Folau,” Mr Latham said.

“That just shows the fix was in. Qantas knew Folau was going to get punted.

“Ms Castle was acting as the slave of (Alan) Joyce within her organisation.

“She knew what he wanted without even a direct conversation with him.”

Mr Latham said: “75 years ago today young men from across the free world stormed the beaches of Normandy … to fight for the freedom of all mankind”.

“How in 2019 are so many Australians worried about the loss of religious freedom?” Mr Latham said.

“How in 2019 do we look at Israel Folau and wonder how a football player and resident of NSW has lost his job?

“We’re fighting dictatorial corporations who purchase … control of sporting codes.

“These big corporate chiefs preach diversity . . but they’re trying to impose uniformity.”

Mr Latham quoted Ms Castle’s written evidence which said days before Folau’s post Rugby Australia had commenced new commercial negotiations with Qantas on further sponsorship and that corporate partners had approached her to “express their concerns”.

Qantas provided a comment from Mr Joyce on the issue last month where he said: “We don’t sponsor something to get involved in controversy. That’s not part of the deal. We expect our partners to take the appropriate action. It’s their issue, they have to deal with it.”

FAMILY MATTER: FOLAU’S BROTHER GETS RELEASE

That news comes as Israel Folau’s brother John was granted his release from the NSW Waratahs.

John Folau, who played a handful of games for the Parramatta Eels from 2015-17, has been a fringe player for the Super Rugby franchise
    Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson confirmed on Thursday the 24-year-old had been granted a release for personal reasons.

“We gave John some time off for leave and he has come back to us recently and asked for a release, which we’re happy to grant,” Gibson told reporters.

“John has been in a difficult position for the last wee while. He has got really divided loyalties to his family and his brother and then also to the team. He wanted to stress how much he enjoyed being with the team and what a difficult decision it was for him.”

“We can all understand the loyalty he has to his family and to his brother and totally respect that position,” Gibson added.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...6f17f1b4dd1dc0

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast