Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: "Warning homosexuals, hell awaits you, repent" - Israel Folau

vCash
    Also to add RUPA have the RA over a barrel. The RA couldn’t even sack Beale who sexually harassed Di Patston. Papers said the RA wanted to sack Beale so why didn’t Pulver resign as he couldn’t make an executive decision? Throw in the settlement that led to Patston walking away with a sum rumoured to be around 800k.

In typical fashion the RA have gone quiet over a number of days in regards to Folau’s punishment. Shows how confident they are in Folau’s appeal and a highly likely court case. Folau can’t appeal until the punishment is handed down. The RA’s lawyers will be loving the delays.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    How close is Cheika and Genia etc to breaching the contract by stating their views publicly ( Folau will not be picked again ) Unwelcome in the dressing room .... and so on .

vCash
    Someone get this man some real help, he is hearing voices..

'God spoke to me': Folau's explanation to tribunal revealed

Georgina Robinson
    By Georgina Robinson
    May 12, 2019 — 8.00pm
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Share on Whatsapp
    Send via Email
    Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
    View all comments

"God spoke to me". That was the explanation Israel Folau gave for his second round of inflammatory social media posts when he fronted a Rugby Australia disciplinary hearing.

As Folau told his church congregation on Sunday he had resisted a number of chances to smooth things over with RA because he believed that path was "Satan's work", it emerged he told the three-person panel determining his fate that a message from God had led to his April 10 posts.

Play Video

Israel Folau speaks out at church congregation
    Play video
    5:17

Israel Folau speaks out at church congregation

Folau tells his church congregation on Sunday he had resisted a number of chances to smooth things over with RA because he believes that path was 'Satan's work'.

He spoke at his church on Sunday, saying: "There have been many opportunities to potentially make the situation a little bit easier. I could go back and play the game, get everything back to the way it used to be.

"The way Satan works is he offers you stuff that could look good to the eye and makes you feel comfortable, and if you follow that path all the worries and troubles will go away. [But] it is always the will of God that comes first."

Advertisement

The Herald has also confirmed that Folau rejected overtures from RA that the parties enter into settlement talks before the code of conduct hearing started on May 4.

RELATED ARTICLE
    Digging in: the Waratahs celebrate captain Michael Hooper's try in South Africa.
    SUPER RUGBY
    It's not quite over yet for this gutsy Waratahs outfit
    Add to shortlist
    He then later told the tribunal, through his legal representatives, that he was willing to admit to a low-level breach of the code because, while he was motivated by love, it was clear his posts had hurt the game and some of its fans and players.

A low-level breach would have resulted in a fine of one week's salary, a one-match suspension, a written warning, community work, counselling, or any combination of those.

It is not clear whether that was offered up purely for the tribunal panel to note, or whether it was an explicit attempt to broker a compromise, given RA is intent on termination.

Advertisement

The explanation of direct communication with God was the first time Folau had offered a rationale for his actions of a month ago, which came after an identical scenario last year and the following 10 months of sensitive negotiations to sign off on a four-year, multi-million dollar deal.

As has been reported, he expressed no remorse, refused to take down the posts and acknowledged he might take the same action again.

On the outer: Wallabies star Israel Folau admitted his actions had caused problems for Rugby Australia.
    On the outer: Wallabies star Israel Folau admitted his actions had caused problems for Rugby Australia. CREDIT:AAP

While the Waratahs travel home from South Africa having slumped to their seventh loss of the season, Folau and rugby administrators are bracing for the panel's decision, expected on Tuesday or Wednesday, regarding the penalty on what they found was a high-level breach of the code of conduct.

Kate Eastman SC, John West QC and veteran sports administrator John Boultbee will consider RA's request to terminate Folau's contract but are also able to apply a lesser sanction, including a suspension, fine or both.

Advertisement

RA believes its case for termination is strong, given his lack of remorse, refusal to remove the post and concession that he could well make more comments of a similar nature.

The Herald understands that while the organisation was not able to insert a social media clause into his new contract, RA felt sufficiently covered by the standard player contract and code of conduct. Chief executive Raelene Castle also discussed the matter and her expectations during three separate meetings with Folau, two further meetings with Folau's manager Isaac Moses and a support letter sent to them.

"It's very disappointing from my perspective because I had a very direct and specific conversation with him about the expectations that I had," Castle said last month.

"He accepted that conversation, he said that he understood that conversation, he shook my hand at the end of that conversation, said that he was very clear of it, and yet he has gone off and done what he's done."

But an appeal from Folau is a realistic scenario, dragging the matter out further if a second panel has to be convened.

Advertisement

It would be a development the game can ill afford in Australia, with the World Cup now little more than four months away.

In the next period, Wallabies coach Michael Cheika and new director of rugby Scott Johnson must unite a playing group indelibly impacted by the Folau controversy.

The month-long saga, triggered by Folau's Instagram post listing homosexuals among a group of so-called sinners destined for hell, has been hugely destabilising.

Where once Australia's professional players, roughly 45 per cent of whom are of Pacific Islands heritage, respected and celebrated their differences under the banner of Australia or their state and territory Super Rugby teams, the furore has put that harmonious coexistence in jeopardy.

Post-match prayer huddles, once a commonplace feature in Test, Super, club rugby and the NRC Pasifika Cup, have taken on a loaded symbolism.

Advertisement

RA's strong stance against Folau, which came after Castle made every effort to find common ground the first time he brought an international storm upon the game a year ago, has been construed by some as a denouncement of their Christian beliefs.

The Wallabies meet in Brisbane for their first World Cup camp this week

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    What a debacle, Old Cam has been very quiet throughout all of this, do you think he would be bold enough once this is all over to say "it was all Raelene's fault, she has to go"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    What a debacle, Old Cam has been very quiet throughout all of this, do you think he would be bold enough once this is all over to say "it was all Raelene's fault, she has to go"
    Classic Uncle Cam throw his CEO under the bus, this is the axing fiasco all over again. Raelene goes which will be another payout. Then you have the headhunting costs.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    I'm a huge fan of anything that puts Rugby Australia within range of the financial abyss.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It’s already well in range, Jargan. This would be the bullseye shot.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Does anyone know how well Cheika has taken to the arrival of Scott Johnson as his boss? Cheika seems to me like the sort of person who isn’t suited to having bosses.

If the two of them are to have the job of uniting the team, they’ll need to get themselves united first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    It’s already well in range, Jargan. This would be the bullseye shot.
    Pile on the misery.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Johnson's latest claim is that Australian Rugby does not need centralisation like NZ and Ireland, we just need to stick to the four pole approach, you know NSW, QLD, ACT & VIC basically more of the same shrinking to greatness, seems to have worked really well over the past two seasons.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Johnson's latest claim is that Australian Rugby does not need centralisation like NZ and Ireland, we just need to stick to the four pole approach, you know NSW, QLD, ACT & VIC basically more of the same shrinking to greatness, seems to have worked really well over the past two seasons.

vCash
    FFS!!!!!!!

vCash
    Shrinking to greatness.
    4 Australian teams winning 64% of games in the SR Aussie Conference (impacted by playing the Sunwolves) while winning only 35% of games against teams in the NZ & SA conferences (with half of those by the RA least preferred Brumbies).
    RA and their new appointments haven't a clue!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    These clowns are clueless. Just spin and telling each other how good they are until they actually believe they’re doing the job. More of the same to come I fear.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It's a moot point anyway. He's gone regardless. If RA don't sack him, there have been a few Wallabies state they're not sure they would want to play alongside him. It could be that his position is untenable. It's a team game which is reliant on teamwork, trust, belief in one another. His employer doesn't want him, his coaches don't want him and some of his teammates don't want him. He is no longer a good fit for the team.

Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast