Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Edwards joins the campaign for bums on seats

Champion
    vCash

Edwards joins the campaign for bums on seats

I don't like the headline but he is spot on.
    Do we want a side or not. It's up to us.

Rugby WA boss sees ‘worrying trends’ in Western Force support
    Nick Taylor The West Australian
    Tuesday, 9 April 2019 5:10PM

WA's most senior rugby executive has challenged fans to embrace the resurrected Western Force and Global Rapid Rugby or risk losing their side for a second time.
    RugbyWA chairman John Edwards said fans need to lift their support to prevent history repeating itself.
    "My questions to the rugby community are: 'Do you want a professional team and are you passionate enough to ensure its future?'" Edwards said ahead of Friday night's Force clash with the Singapore-based Asia Pacific Dragons at HBF Park.

More here

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881163728z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Or do they just want to watch Bledisloe's instead?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Or do they just want to watch Bledisloe's instead?
    Who is 'they'
    C'Mon let's get there

vCash
    It is disappointing on the drop in numbers. When I recall the crowd that turned up in protest that Sunday morning at short notice, I don’t buy the excuse if it’s only an exhibition game then why bother. Bums on seats are what’s needed to make sure the Force survive or we’re back to square one. But I really think there needs to be more marketing.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    It is disappointing on the drop in numbers. When I recall the crowd that turned up in protest that Sunday morning at short notice, I don’t buy the excuse if it’s only an exhibition game then why bother. Bums on seats are what’s needed to make sure the Force survive or we’re back to square one. But I really think there needs to be more marketing.
    Yes. A established team in an established competition can rely on habit or past success to keep the numbers up; a 'new' team in a new competition, especially one which has a short season and doesn't play at home approximately every other weekend, needs a marketting drive for every game.

I've heard an advert for the Force game on Friday every day on the radio, but it's delivered with the advert-style "lets get this over with quickly and get onto the real news" gabble which makes it almost unrecognisable.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    This was always to be a very difficult period to garner support for GRR.

Parts of our community are still hurting from the Western Force assassination, parts of our community are also struggling to reconcile the GRR laws, razza matazz etc with traditional rugby, parts of community are also focussed only on club rugby.

Sadly though, Twiggy's patience and purse will only go so far. If he decides to "pull the pin" then there is absolutely no doubt we head back to the 80's and 90's. People are bemoaning the quality and numbers in our local club rugby - one reason for that may be a lack of an aspirational road - there are several other reasons as well, I am sure.

Personally when I went to a few games last year, I cringed at the "entertainment" the interview after tries being scored and really did not think the ball was in play for much longer than Super Rugby - that was on face value.

But now... Geez, there's some great offloading, great open play and the painted faces of smiling kids, the fireworks and interviews are really growing on me.

I would appeal to the traditionalists to give it go from another angle, head to the game to be entertained, and buy into the fact that the is no more kicking from inside the 22, there are some huge hits and the boys are blowing after 20 minutes.

Those in club rugby who don't give a rats about a pro team in Perth - get used to lesser skill levels, fewer teams and lots more time in the club to reminisce about the good old days and blame all our woes on everybody else.

To those of us hurt by the nefarious actions of RA, I say... the best way to stick it up them... is to grow GRR.

If we lose Twiggy's support Clyne and Pulver will smile at our demise and our young talent will have to head East for higher honours.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    This was always to be a very difficult period to garner support for GRR.

Parts of our community are still hurting from the Western Force assassination, parts of our community are also struggling to reconcile the GRR laws, razza matazz etc with traditional rugby, parts of community are also focussed only on club rugby.

Sadly though, Twiggy's patience and purse will only go so far. If he decides to "pull the pin" then there is absolutely no doubt we head back to the 80's and 90's. People are bemoaning the quality and numbers in our local club rugby - one reason for that may be a lack of an aspirational road - there are several other reasons as well, I am sure.

Personally when I went to a few games last year, I cringed at the "entertainment" the interview after tries being scored and really did not think the ball was in play for much longer than Super Rugby - that was on face value.

But now... Geez, there's some great offloading, great open play and the painted faces of smiling kids, the fireworks and interviews are really growing on me.

I would appeal to the traditionalists to give it go from another angle, head to the game to be entertained, and buy into the fact that the is no more kicking from inside the 22, there are some huge hits and the boys are blowing after 20 minutes.

Those in club rugby who don't give a rats about a pro team in Perth - get used to lesser skill levels, fewer teams and lots more time in the club to reminisce about the good old days and blame all our woes on everybody else.

To those of us hurt by the nefarious actions of RA, I say... the best way to stick it up them... is to grow GRR.

If we lose Twiggy's support Clyne and Pulver will smile at our demise and our young talent will have to head East for higher honours.
    What is your thoughts on the timing of the games. These have had a huge impact on juniors and families attendances. Maybe some actual consideration for people with young kids would have gone along way to avoiding sub 10k crowds. Its a real shame that there is talk of the GRR concept falling over without any real attempt to appeal to juniors or young families. Its like GRR are saying, hey everyone, if yoi dont turn up you may lose professional rugby, but dont worry, we will arrogantly play these games at times that do not appeal to junior players/ young kids or young families. But we will look at pulling the pin anyway without doing anything for them. By trying to appeal to club rugby seniors by putting it on Fridays at a ridiculous time you have alienated a huge sizable chunk of your supporter base but rather than fix it, we at GRR and RugbyWA say F%#k em... if the GRR concept falls over RugbyWA and Rapid rugby have nothing but themselves to blame for it.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "Twiggy's patience and purse will only go so far", but I would hope it would at least run as far as delivering on the promised competition. It is taking longer than expected, but that is not the fault of supporters. Most are interested to see what it will be, but surely it is understood that the lack of definition and stop-gap nature of the current situation is taking a toll.

It worries me that there seems to be a loss of focus creeping into all this. Is the plan to develop rugby in the Asia-Pacific region with a commensurate level of commitment to all those organisations/people, or just to give Perth a place to play as long as folk show up? Is it rugby for those that love rugby, or entertainment for people who didn't know rugby existed? Is it looking forward at something new, or backward at what is past? Will it be a sustainable structured competition, or whatever teams can be pulled together from wherever? It is becoming hard to tell, because there doesn't seem to be a clearly enunciated mission any more.

But the ultimatums being thrown around will most certainly be music to the ears of RA, because it sends a very clear message about it all just being a flash in the pan rich man's toy. I certainly hope it is more...that is the reason I keep showing up.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    What is your thoughts on the timing of the games. These have had a huge impact on juniors and families attendances. Maybe some actual consideration for people with young kids would have gone along way to avoiding sub 10k crowds. Its a real shame that there is talk of the GRR concept falling over without any real attempt to appeal to juniors or young families. Its like GRR are saying, hey everyone, if yoi dont turn up you may lose professional rugby, but dont worry, we will arrogantly play these games at times that do not appeal to junior players/ young kids or young families. But we will look at pulling the pin anyway without doing anything for them. By trying to appeal to club rugby seniors by putting it on Fridays at a ridiculous time you have alienated a huge sizable chunk of your supporter base but rather than fix it, we at GRR and RugbyWA say F%#k em... if the GRR concept falls over RugbyWA and Rapid rugby have nothing but themselves to blame for it.
    They had to work within some considerable constraints from other parties. Also wanted to respect the fact that club rugby is played on Saturday afternoons, and respect the religious beliefs of those cultures who set Sundays aside for religious activities.

I can absolutely assure you that they gave this very very careful consideration and were not in any way ignorant or arrogant. They are not running a rebel organisation. They operate properly and professionally.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    By your quoting Spatman Ali I can see he's on about the same old crap and claiming large numbers of people agree. Bullshit.

I think along the same line as AndyS. Lack of certainty re the "real" GRR and its make up for next year plus lower profile marketing budget will have an effect. Just accept it. I doubt Minderoo will not make allowances for those.
    Having said that; the attendance's so far have been 1100-odd and 8,000-odd; right? A few SR franchises would not be disappointed with those. Pretty sure the Rabble had 5000-odd, maybe less for the Sunwolves. Their attendance was listed as TBA - again.

The sky is not falling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    They had to work within some considerable constraints from other parties. Also wanted to respect the fact that club rugby is played on Saturday afternoons, and respect the religious beliefs of those cultures who set Sundays aside for religious activities.

I can absolutely assure you that they gave this very very careful consideration and were not in any way ignorant or arrogant. They are not running a rebel organisation. They operate properly and professionally.
    Yes but those constraints do not change the fact the games are at very unfriendly times for juniors and families. Almost no consideration went into this. Instead they have tried to cater for seniors playong club rugby which is all well and good but maybe do that for 4 of the 6 games and throw 2 of the 6 games on at 4 or 6pm saturday or better yet, A sunday afternoon.

The whole religious sunday thing is a total load of bollox. Laat year during World Series Rugby the sunday game against Tonga (a PI nation) had the second highest attendance and did not have a fancy band or any fancy advertising in the leadup. If we are going to cater for religious beleifs at the expense of catering for juniors and families then the GRR concept is doomed and missing its original intention which promoted itself as being for families. Lets be honest, the PI players are paid professionals and get told when to play, if they wanna dictate their terms then dont have them in the competition, it will serve them right. Considering the amount of Tongans that turned up on the Sunday last year I highly doubt any of them put their religion in front of a game of Live rugby, if they did they wouldnt have turned out in such force!

Remmeber Alison, these junior players start playing from 8am onwards from the 4th May. That means they will be on the field training from 730am, which means most will be up at 6am to make it to the grounds they are playing at. To expect kids to stay up till 10-11pm on a school night and then get up at 6am to make junior rugby is too much to ask. I would really love to know how many seniors actually bother with the Force the night before they are due to play premier grade. I reckon its significantly less than the amount of juniors willing and wanting to watch GRR.

Right now the concept is deeply flawed and there seems to be a real siege "lets put our heads in the sand' mentality instead of doing somethibg about it.

You are on the sea of blue Alison, just look at the comments after the South China Tigers game, loads of people complaining that they couldnt bring their young kids or other half because they had to stay at home. Heaps of complaints from farmers unable to attend Fridays etc.

This is the crossroads. Either listen to the fans or in a few years sit there regretting and asking yourself why it all went pearshaped. I can safely tell you right now that not a single junior in our club in our year is going except my son, all saying its on too late for their kids, but I shouldnt have to tell anyone this, a GRR representative should be down there asking these questions themselves.

Rookie
    vCash
    Most on here have some valid points and all are contributing factors but at the very core of it the standard of rugby is poor and not at a preofessional level .

Punters will go for a look but won’t return week after week as standard is poor and these are exhibition games with no purpose . The lack of competition leads to a lack of tribalism and such no regular bums on seats.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post

Alison, if you google ""Western Force tickets"" the first site that comes up is Viagogo.com,who trumpet each week that there only a few tickets left. I have brought this last week up on Sea of Blue facebook and suggested GRR must get in their ear. That message is still there for this weeks game and also for Ballymore. Try it.
    I know there are plenty of tickets in Ticketmaster, but Viagogo are obviously paying Google so they come up first, so the new punter thinks that must be the most used and popular site, and does not look further. It nearly happened to me for the first game, but my friend said bullshit, try Ticketmaster.
    This might costing us thousands of bums on seats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Yes but those constraints do not change the fact the games are at very unfriendly times for juniors and families. Almost no consideration went into this. Instead they have tried to cater for seniors playong club rugby which is all well and good but maybe do that for 4 of the 6 games and throw 2 of the 6 games on at 4 or 6pm saturday or better yet, A sunday afternoon.

The whole religious sunday thing is a total load of bollox. Laat year during World Series Rugby the sunday game against Tonga (a PI nation) had the second highest attendance and did not have a fancy band or any fancy advertising in the leadup. If we are going to cater for religious beleifs at the expense of catering for juniors and families then the GRR concept is doomed and missing its original intention which promoted itself as being for families. Lets be honest, the PI players are paid professionals and get told when to play, if they wanna dictate their terms then dont have them in the competition, it will serve them right. Considering the amount of Tongans that turned up on the Sunday last year I highly doubt any of them put their religion in front of a game of Live rugby, if they did they wouldnt have turned out in such force!

Remmeber Alison, these junior players start playing from 8am onwards from the 4th May. That means they will be on the field training from 730am, which means most will be up at 6am to make it to the grounds they are playing at. To expect kids to stay up till 10-11pm on a school night and then get up at 6am to make junior rugby is too much to ask. I would really love to know how many seniors actually bother with the Force the night before they are due to play premier grade. I reckon its significantly less than the amount of juniors willing and wanting to watch GRR.

Right now the concept is deeply flawed and there seems to be a real siege "lets put our heads in the sand' mentality instead of doing somethibg about it.

You are on the sea of blue Alison, just look at the comments after the South China Tigers game, loads of people complaining that they couldnt bring their young kids or other half because they had to stay at home. Heaps of complaints from farmers unable to attend Fridays etc.

This is the crossroads. Either listen to the fans or in a few years sit there regretting and asking yourself why it all went pearshaped. I can safely tell you right now that not a single junior in our club in our year is going except my son, all saying its on too late for their kids, but I shouldnt have to tell anyone this, a GRR representative should be down there asking these questions themselves.
    Dude, again, you have your opinion and have stated it.

Im not religious nor will pretend to actually know. But I dont think the Sunday games is an effect on the fans attending but on those players who are paid. Its their faith. so be it. World rugby gave approval on the fact GRR is trying to include those areas ignored so "if they wanna dictate their terms then dont have them in the competition" is burying your head in the sand.

This was a series of exhibition games thrown together quickly. Hence GRR delayed to next year. without going completely over the top get in contact with GRR raise it, ask them to put into consideration next year, not all teams will be against Sundays.

Take this year as it is, put together the best they could with what they had available.

I get kids need their sleep but shit when I was growing up and there was an Eagles game to watch late at night before I played the next day, we were there. Back in standing only areas, amongst the riff raff and loved every second of it. Its not the kids that need to harden up but their parents it seems.

N.B. Spoken by a father of 2

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    Its not the kids that need to harden up but their parents it seems.
    Anyone have any stone tablets to engrave this into. This right here.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast