Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: That other rugby competition

  1. #1
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    478
    vCash
    5048000

    That other rugby competition

    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...04-p51aw2.html

    Various Illuminati in the Moore Park bunker are showing an increased interest in attendance numbers at Shute Shield and Hospital Cup matches this year, while sipping thoughtfully on their Moet (as befits their station in life). Perhaps the ARU/RA is thinking about a Plan B in case the Nations Championship doesn't get up (it sounds like they may have given up any hope of getting their hands on some of Mr Forrest's money).

    To be honest, if I was back in Roseville, then I'd probably be parking my backside at Chatswood Oval every other Saturday afternoon - but I'd be quaffing Old (as befits my station in life).

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by FingerTips; 05-04-19 at 08:55.

  2. #2
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,603
    vCash
    5348000
    So in a state of about 8million they are expecting to get a few thousand to a regular game for a change*

    *meanwhile in the west 5000 turn out to watch the Force play in the NRC, whoch equates to about 2/5ths of what they get for the shute shield grand final in rugby obsessed Sydney..

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    543
    vCash
    5228000
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...04-p51aw2.html

    Various Illuminati in the Moore Park bunker are expected to show an increased interest in attendance numbers at Shute Shield and Hospital Cup matches this year, while sipping thoughtfully on their Moet (as befits their station in life). Perhaps the ARU/RA is thinking about a Plan B in case the Nations Championship doesn't get up (it sounds like they may have given up getting their hands on any of Mr Forrest's money).

    To be honest, if I was back in Roseville, then I'd probably be parking my backside at Chatswood Oval every other Saturday afternoon - but I'd be quaffing Old (as befits my station in life).
    You mean Twiggy will grow tired of taking out his wallet to buy a round and then getting snubbed again. $50-$70 million to the rugby in Australia. ARU turn their back.
    $4 million package to Western Sydney to get a GRR side. NSWRU turn their back. I reminded TWAS and others on ROAR of this one. He argued that no money was on the table, until I referred him to an article in the SMG. Silence.

    (A $4 million funding boost for rugby in western Sydney is a step closer to reality after Rugby Australia gave a conditional green light to Andrew ''Twiggy'' Forrest's bid to put a World Series Rugby team in the city's west.

    A high-level meeting between Rugby Australia chief Raelene Castle and her counterparts at NSW Rugby and the Sydney Rugby Union on Monday agreed to move to the next step of discussions with Forrest and his World Series team, who are proposing to fund a team in the region as part of their eight-team vision for the international rebel league.
    It is understood correspondence has been sent from RA offices making the development official, but that one of many conditions of further engagement is that Shute Shield players be off limits.)


    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...13-p503md.html

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,603
    vCash
    5348000
    I didnt even realise the $4million that got offered. Really does confirm how ridiculously stupid those governing bodies are. They do more harm to the sport than good. Money like that doesnt come around very often and both deals only positively enhanced the sport in both areas, Western Sydney and nationally with the $70million Twiggy offered Clyne in what became another moment that negatively tained Clynes career. The man has becomr basically unemployable, he has become a diesease, and his toxicity infects everyone around him whether it be at NAB or just running RA and the former ARU.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Veteran BLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,733
    vCash
    5090000
    I missed the $4 million aspect as well. At what point are the ruling body clearly working against the interest of those they supposedly represent and need to be forced out?

    This is why when posters on other websites and forums talk about Super Rugby and GRR merging I comment to leave us out of their sinking bloody ship, holy hell. I think we need to build a wall.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Veteran sittingbison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Freo
    Posts
    2,757
    vCash
    5230000
    Rabbit proof fence

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

  7. #7
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    231
    vCash
    5260000
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...04-p51aw2.html

    Various Illuminati in the Moore Park bunker are expected to show an increased interest in attendance numbers at Shute Shield and Hospital Cup matches this year, while sipping thoughtfully on their Moet (as befits their station in life). Perhaps the ARU/RA is thinking about a Plan B in case the Nations Championship doesn't get up (it sounds like they may have given up getting their hands on any of Mr Forrest's money).

    To be honest, if I was back in Roseville, then I'd probably be parking my backside at Chatswood Oval every other Saturday afternoon - but I'd be quaffing Old (as befits my station in life).
    Here's the issue I have with the extremely rose tinted glasses view Growden and Co. have adopted. Outside of the 'Battle of the Beaches' and the Grand Final the crowds aren't exactly flocking to games. Nor are they tuning in en masse on 7. I've watched the competition since I was 12 (this will be my 21st year watching)as well as played for one of the Shute Shield clubs and the crowds are no better now than they were then. This whole point of view is agenda driven.

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    543
    vCash
    5228000
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I missed the $4 million aspect as well. At what point are the ruling body clearly working against the interest of those they supposedly represent and need to be forced out?

    This is why when posters on other websites and forums talk about Super Rugby and GRR merging I comment to leave us out of their sinking bloody ship, holy hell. I think we need to build a wall.
    Well the article was written by Georgina who one of our TWF members often accuses of being untruthful. Who knows where she got $4million from. Might be her estimate. Anyway it silenced TWAS.
    I am pretty sure Twiggy would have funded his RugbyRoos campaign to introduce young kids to rugby in Western Sydney if GRR had a team there. Georgina has probably not heard of RugbyRoos.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Legend Contributor Alison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    6,697
    vCash
    5364000
    TWF Contributor!
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Here's the issue I have with the extremely rose tinted glasses view Growden and Co. have adopted. Outside of the 'Battle of the Beaches' and the Grand Final the crowds aren't exactly flocking to games. Nor are they tuning in en masse on 7. I've watched the competition since I was 12 (this will be my 21st year watching)as well as played for one of the Shute Shield clubs and the crowds are no better now than they were then. This whole point of view is agenda driven.
    And try asking rugby diehards in, say, Newcastle how rosy rugby union is up there.....

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

  10. #10
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    478
    vCash
    5048000
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    And try asking rugby diehards in, say, Newcastle how rosy rugby union is up there.....
    It seems that dummy spits are happening more frequently in the Moore Park bunker.

    Two recent triggers:
    1. Only 12,621 showed up at the Newcastle stadium last Friday night to watch the Sunwolves humiliate NSW. I think this was the first time that the Tahs had played a Super Rugby home match outside of the Sydney metro area.
    2. A pitiful 10,745 were in attendance last Saturday when the Rebels walloped the Reds at Suncorp. FFS, only 10,745 at a Reds home game at Lang Park, and a derby at that?

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Rookie cedric rainwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    139
    vCash
    5162000
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    So in a state of about 8million they are expecting to get a few thousand to a regular game for a change*

    *meanwhile in the west 5000 turn out to watch the Force play in the NRC, whoch equates to about 2/5ths of what they get for the shute shield grand final in rugby obsessed Sydney..
    the 5000 on the hill was achieved while feelings were still pretty high over our axing.
    a great turnout indeed for NRC, but i would be surprised if that crowd was ever repeated under 'normal' circumstances.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cider my arse

  12. #12
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    18,302
    vCash
    5360000
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by cedric rainwater View Post
    the 5000 on the hill was achieved while feelings were still pretty high over our axing.
    a great turnout indeed for NRC, but i would be surprised if that crowd was ever repeated under 'normal' circumstances.
    Yeah,but I'd say we'd regularly get 3500 - 4000

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  13. #13
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,603
    vCash
    5348000
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    It seems that dummy spits are happening more frequently in the Moore Park bunker.

    Two recent triggers:
    1. Only 12,621 showed up at the Newcastle stadium last Friday night to watch the Sunwolves humiliate NSW. I think this was the first time that the Tahs had played a Super Rugby home match outside of the Sydney metro area.
    2. A pitiful 10,745 were in attendance last Saturday when the Rebels walloped the Reds at Suncorp. FFS, only 10,745 at a Reds home game at Lang Park, and a derby at that?
    Those really are some horrible figures. Especially the Australian derby in Queensland. I think we can safely say Rugby is dead on the East Coast.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Immortal jargan83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Earth Capital
    Posts
    19,727
    vCash
    5312000
    141 Club Award The Bronze Star of Faith
    If only the people of Broken Hill could be arsed going to Waratahs games

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Legend Contributor .X.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,244
    vCash
    5348000
    Dry July! Ex-Staff MO-vember Donator TWF Contributor!
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Those really are some horrible figures. Especially the Australian derby in Queensland. I think we can safely say Rugby is dead on the East Coast.
    Spend much time on the East Coast watching Rugby do you?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Exile
    Sydney


    “I stopped waiting for the light at the end of tunnel and lit that bitch up myself!”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rugby Australia launch women’s competition
    By beige in forum National Competitions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 15-12-17, 23:26
  2. RugbyWA Senior Rugby Competition Round 1
    By theforceguy in forum Western Australian Metro Rugby
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 23-04-12, 21:29
  3. Global rugby competition touted
    By Flamethrower in forum Rugby
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-02-08, 23:37
  4. Rugby Workshop agrees to a new eight-team National Rugby Competition
    By Burgs in forum National Rugby Championship (NRC)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-07-06, 15:25
  5. WA Rugby Cup Competition Required
    By no.8 in forum Western Australian Metro Rugby
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-12-05, 14:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •