Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: That other rugby competition

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Spend much time on the East Coast watching Rugby do you?
    X is your club in what is regarded as Western Sydney?
    If so I wondered if you had seen or heard lately of a possible GRR team in 2020 or extra NSWRU activity as per their statement below, when they blocked GRR this year.

as per ROAR on 11th Oct 2018:

“”NSW Rugby Union boss Andrew Hore says there won’t be a World Series Rugby team in western Sydney in 2019, but he hasn’t ruled out his organisation backing one for future years.””
    “”Hore outlined plans to develop new school and club competitions in the region””

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Spend much time on the East Coast watching Rugby do you?
    Lived in Sydney for 2 years. Australia ave in Olympic park in one of the towers overlooking ANZ stadium. Was a bit of a shithole really but managed to watch a heap of rugby, altho I had to travel out of olympic park to see a couple of fixtures at SFS. Parramatta was up the road but didnt bother with the Shute Shield. I have a soft spot for Western Sydney as I lived in Parramatta for a few months but the majority of my time was in Olympic Park

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    big crowd at suncorp(yeah,right)tonight by the look of it

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    X is your club in what is regarded as Western Sydney?
    If so I wondered if you had seen or heard lately of a possible GRR team in 2020 or extra NSWRU activity as per their statement below, when they blocked GRR this year.

as per ROAR on 11th Oct 2018:

“”NSW Rugby Union boss Andrew Hore says there won’t be a World Series Rugby team in western Sydney in 2019, but he hasn’t ruled out his organisation backing one for future years.””
    “”Hore outlined plans to develop new school and club competitions in the region””
    Yes. I am about a 20-minute drive from where the Penrith Emu's had their home ground.

No, nothing. Not even when the Penrith Emus were allegedly in talks with Minderoo. Which is really surprising because the former boss of the Emu's is not very good at keeping secrets, and a good friend of mine is the President of Penrith Juniors Rugby Union.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Lived in Sydney for 2 years. Australia ave in Olympic park in one of the towers overlooking ANZ stadium. Was a bit of a shithole really but managed to watch a heap of rugby, altho I had to travel out of olympic park to see a couple of fixtures at SFS. Parramatta was up the road but didnt bother with the Shute Shield. I have a soft spot for Western Sydney as I lived in Parramatta for a few months but the majority of my time was in Olympic Park
    Well I have lived in Sydney for 20 years now.

The last 8 years I have been participating in Club Rugby Supervising the Canteen and the Bar for the Hawkesbury Agricultural College Rugby Union Football Club. (The Club is a part of the Western Sydney University Richmond Campus). The Club participates in Third Division Suburban Rugby Competition. Last year we won both 2nd and First Grades.

Its disappointing how quickly the majority of members of TWF discount or belittle the role the Shute Shield has in Rugby Union in this Country.

Whilst I get on average to 100 people attending HAC Rugby home matches. Shute Shield is getting anything upward of 8000 to a match during the season and the Grand Final for the last 3 years has sold out the North Sydney Oval. (about 20k)

The Shute Shield Clubs receive no financial assistance from NSW Rugby or Rugby Australia for that matter. They provide their own funding for their broadcasting on FTA Television as well as providing the majority of players to the Australian Super Rugby Sides including the Western Force.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

Player
    vCash
    They provide their own funding for their broadcasting on FTA Television as well as providing the majority of players to the Australian Super Rugby Sides including the Western Force.
    Ssshhhh...don't point out the facts.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Ssshhhh...don't point out the facts.
    Sorry - its frustrating

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Its disappointing how quickly the majority of members of TWF discount or belittle the role the Shute Shield has in Rugby Union in this Country.
    To be fair X, I don't think you can credibly claim a "majority" belittle The Shute Shield. Even if I myself have taken to calling it the Shite Shield. Nor do many disrespect its place in the Rugby landscape. Many of us are NSW expats and do get that.

Our disrespect is directed at those who want the (fairly unconditional) granting of TV and sponsorship dollars under the bullshit assertion that the senior grades of the premier clubs are the "grass roots". In short if/when/whether or not SANZAAR implodes they want Sydney Premier Rugby to be the second tier. Seemingly without accepting the established fact that it can't help to generate those funds.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Whilst I get on average to 100 people attending HAC Rugby home matches. Shute Shield is getting anything upward of 8000 to a match during the season and the Grand Final for the last 3 years has sold out the North Sydney Oval. (about 20k)

The Shute Shield Clubs receive no financial assistance from NSW Rugby or Rugby Australia for that matter. They provide their own funding for their broadcasting on FTA Television as well as providing the majority of players to the Australian Super Rugby Sides including the Western Force.
    ^^^ Like the man says.

Now if Gordon could start winning a few matches - 1998 is a long time ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    big crowd at suncorp(yeah,right)tonight by the look of it
    I’m sniggering more at the ref doing his utmost to save the Reds. When I heard Kafe say the Reds have to win this game or their season is over, it was a foregone conclusion, although its another of those whichever team stuffs up the least wins.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    To be fair X, I don't think you can credibly claim a "majority" belittle The Shute Shield. Even if I myself have taken to calling it the Shite Shield. Nor do many disrespect its place in the Rugby landscape. Many of us are NSW expats and do get that.

Our disrespect is directed at those who want the (fairly unconditional) granting of TV and sponsorship dollars under the bullshit assertion that the senior grades of the premier clubs are the "grass roots". In short if/when/whether or not SANZAAR implodes they want Sydney Premier Rugby to be the second tier. Seemingly without accepting the established fact that it can't help to generate those funds.
    As always everyone - including me - gets in trouble for generalising. Did you see what I did there?

I am guessing you are referring to Brett Papworth and his sidekicks?

I certainly don't agree with the claim that Shute Shield is Grassroots Rugby. I was the waterboy for a club @ Katherine NT in a 4 Team Competition - now that is grassroots Rugby.

But what I do accept and support is Papworth and sidekicks promotion of their club and competition. Let us not forget that the majority of this "promotion" is done on Sydney Radio they are appealing to their own audience. Not a bunch of Force fans tuning in via the Internet.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    As always everyone - including me - gets in trouble for generalising. Did you see what I did there?

I am guessing you are referring to Brett Papworth and his sidekicks?

I certainly don't agree with the claim that Shute Shield is Grassroots Rugby. I was the waterboy for a club @ Katherine NT in a 4 Team Competition - now that is grassroots Rugby.

But what I do accept and support is Papworth and sidekicks promotion of their club and competition. Let us not forget that the majority of this "promotion" is done on Sydney Radio they are appealing to their own audience. Not a bunch of Force fans tuning in via the Internet.
    As I suspected we generally agree. Bill Pulver's "pissing it up the wall" comment was arrogant and hypocritical. But there's little doubting the history of squandering funding on player bidding wars etc. From their own initiatives since that time, the evidence shows that they could have done the job themselves in the first place.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think you have to give Credit where Credit is due. The Shute Shields popularity within Sydney- Especially with the "North Shore set" has been done virtually through word of mouth, and it is tribalism that SuperRugby can only dream about.

Where Australian Rugby at the Test Level and Super Rugby level is in a shit heap of their own making - the audience of Shute Shield is growing.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Why are we still talking about Sydney rugby?

Couldn't give a toss about their rivalries. (oh your private school colours are different to my private school colours)

Sorry X, but it is what it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Why are we still talking about Sydney rugby?

Couldn't give a toss about their rivalries.
    X can speak for himself. But he didn't start this thread. Another well informed east coast expat, who usually posts some good goss on how this clusterf@ck is viewed in The East did. I for one am always interested.

Personally, I've watched quite a bit more Shite Shield on TV than SR since we were shafted - basically just channel flicking SR. It's good to watch generally. This thread has been more to do with Sydney Rugby folk doing the same, and the ripples it's causing within the Rat's Arse bunker than the actual comp itself.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast