Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Shrinking to Greatness

vCash
    PG hit the nail on the head where the profit was discussed on G&G news. The RA are spending money they haven’t earns years in advance. I and others have those points here.

The press still haven’t picked up on this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Equity is down $10million on last year. And they have included $8million in non-current deferred revenue. Of that $8million, $3million is from the Victorian Government in return for RA ensuring the Rebels were safe, and $5million is described as “sponsorship”. That’s some sponsor given how shit the Wallabies and Australian SR has been this past 12 months.

The really shameful thing for me is that at $15million, corporate expenditure was getting on for 4 times the amount they gave to community rugby. Worse still is that even though they gave an extra $1,000,000 to community rugby last year, WA’s allocation increased by just $12,000.

The special funding agreement from the Imperium days is a gift that keeps on giving for the Rebels. They received around another $1million from RA in 2018 thanks to that. What with that and $500K from the Vic Government, the Rebels got a total of $7.2million compared to between $5.4million and $5.9million for the other 3 SR franchises.

There’s more but I need to check a couple of things before I post.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Equity is down $10million on last year. And they have included $8million in non-current deferred revenue. Of that $8million, $3million is from the Victorian Government in return for RA ensuring the Rebels were safe, and $5million is described as “sponsorship”. That’s some sponsor given how shit the Wallabies and Australian SR has been this past 12 months.

The really shameful thing for me is that at $15million, corporate expenditure was getting on for 4 times the amount they gave to community rugby. Worse still is that even though they gave an extra $1,000,000 to community rugby last year, WA’s allocation increased by just $12,000.

The special funding agreement from the Imperium days is a gift that keeps on giving for the Rebels. They received around another $1million from RA in 2018 thanks to that. What with that and $500K from the Vic Government, the Rebels got a total of $7.2million compared to between $5.4million and $5.9million for the other 3 SR franchises.

There’s more but I need to check a couple of things before I post.
    That five million might be the advancement from the WA Government.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So SA are still receiving a dividend for voting with NSW to get Greg Smith the Wallaby Coaching gig in 1996 over John Connolly from Qld.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    That five million might be the advancement from the WA Government.
    That would mean that NSW, VIC and QLD don’t pay RA for the right to host Wallaby games.

vCash
    That would mean that NSW, VIC and QLD don’t pay RA for the right to host Wallaby games.
    That's not an expression of surprise is it?

C'mon the

vCash
    Are they still paying money to Cox?

vCash
    Vic Gov’t paid as part of their package to save the Rebels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Are they still paying money to Cox?
    Not to him I don’t think. But to the Melbourne Rebels as part of his agreement to tske the Rebels off the ARU’s hands in 2015 - very much so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Vic Gov’t paid as part of their package to save the Rebels.
    Yes but that money goes through to the Rebels. It’s just a book entry for RA. Helps with their income figures though!!

vCash
    Qld $1,126,000 up from 846k
    NSW $1,490,000 up from $1,084,000
    ACT & SNSW $280,000 up from $180,000
    Rugby WA $205,000 up from $180,000
    VRU $362,000 up from $253,000
    NT $120,000 up from $95,000
    SA $227,000 up from $193,000
    Tas $90,000 up from $52,000
    Seriously?? how many years now is it that RugbyWA has been given the short straw ? Alison, has RugbyWA been given an explanation as to why this discrepancy is growing? Now it is bordering on the ridiculous. I'm sure a few years ago WARU asked the question..Hansie where art thou?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Alison, has RugbyWA been given an explanation as to why this discrepancy is growing? Now it is bordering on the ridiculous.
    With respect Andrew, it seems like you're posing a question based on the expectation Rats Are acts with integrity and would give a straight answer. I'm a bit stunned by that TBH.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Topo hits out again - interesting points:
    Join now
    My offering to Rugby Australia!!!
    My offering to Rugby Australia!!!
    Published on April 17, 2019
    Enrique TOPO Rodriguez
    Enrique TOPO RodriguezFollow
    IMPRESARIO - Adviser - Speaker - Award Winning Writer at ERC Consulting
    Like1
    Comment0
    Share0
    Quite often we see 'general media, 'social media' and followers of rugby [like me] (or other sports for that matter) criticising, bagging, undermining, and sabotaging the official "doings, undoings and not-doings". Well, this happens from a reason; and for a reason.

My LAST official involvement with Australian Rugby was in 1995, as Forwards/Scrum Coach & Translator for the Australian Under 21's in a Tour of Zimbabwe and Argentina, (as you do of course). Ian 'Speed' Kennedy (Head Coach); Geoff Moulds (Backs Coach) and David Clark (Head AIS Rugby); those were the days...

And...since then I've never been invited inside the tent! - However, I didn't resign myself with wasting 22 years of my life dedicate to this noble and wonderful sport. I did several courses included the Level 4 Performance Coach, completed 2 years ago. also have written, authored and published 3 Scrummaging books (The ART of Scrummaging, 2011, 2012, 2015).

So for those years when I felt like 'having a piss'? or 'taking the piss'? I did and do direct my equipment, enthusiasm and skills towards that that PROVERBIAL TENT!

It is also very common for those within officialdom and political powers to defend their actions and positions saying: It's very easy to ctiticise or "Shoot The Town Hall" but...
    Why wouldn't you when even Blind Freddy would know about the dysfunctionality which has affected Australian rugby since 1995!

Just days before the RWC in South Africa (1995) the Ross Turnbull led WRC (World Rugby Corporation) was a very serious threat to the staunch and traditional International Rugby Board who had the strangle hold on rugby and its millions of pounds generated by the quadrennial event!

Australian officials (Directors of the Board) where then (before the IRB declaration of rugby becoming "NO-LONGER-AMATEUR") were throwing big-fat-cheques (money over fist) to those key 'rebel' players already signed up by WRC (including coaches) to overturn their signed up contracts. It was then when Australian Rugby set the wrong tune for professionalism and went off course for the next 24 years.

May I remind you that 1995 Rupert Murdoch (News Limited) bought the TV rights for the Super 10 and the Tri-Nations Championship for close to AU$900.000.000.- It was then, when officialdom rubbed it hands, had another sip to their 'Vera Lynn & Supra-sonic' (Gin & Tonic); or local Ale, counting the 'dirty pounds' and the deals yet to be made by larger than life 'rugby acolytes... parading their Pierre Cardin/Gucci suits and humanhood through all the big international stadia and rugby events such as: Hong Kong Sevens, Twickenham, Park de Prince, Murrayfield, Lansdowne Road, Cardiff Millennium Stadium, Eden Park, Suncorp Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park, Loftus Versfeld, Ellis Park (Good Onya China Plate) this is the 'Fair-Go' Australia, the egalitarian society of equal opportunity for all! (???) Pleeeeassse...

To date NO DIRECTORS OF ARU HAS IDENTIFIED THIS SERIOUS STRATEGIC BLUNDER, LET ALONE TRIED TO FIX IT!
    Thanks Tony for the vote of confidence (Tony is a reader like you; who has expressed his confidence in me to STRAIGHTEN UP THIS OFF COURSE QEII.

I don't now whether I'd have the political silkinnes to manouevre those within those positions of power? But I can offer 'something else' just as effective if not more...

However, if Alan Belford Jones AO, is instituted as General Administrator... I'd be more than happy to be General Executioner (not of people but of the chosen strategic direction). Then, here it is my no-nonsense 'blue print' of our approach towards rugby sanity and salvation:

Flatten down the whole structure and appoint 6 EXPERT directors in charge of 6 strategic areas (I already know How to effectively and efficiently sepparate those areas! - (Let me remind you that I know a bit about "Behavioural Psychology" and 'Teamwork')
    Rationalise ALL salaries, pegging them down and linked onto the performance of the organisation (stockmarket like)
    Re-name the new organistation to NATIONAL RUGBY AUSTRALIA (NRA)
    Re-structure the Wallaby 'team' to become a COST CETRE to be run-at-profit'
    Appoint a truly expert HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR (in charge one of those 6 areas mentioned above). In charge of: Hiring, Firing, Behaviour and Misbehaviour, of the WHOLE personnel employed by NRA
    Immediately, form a National Competition which will involve all states and territories. With a Draft system, distributing evenly (as much as possible) ALL the best Australian players, either overseas or at home.
    School Rugby, Club Rugby, Community Rugby, Women's Rugby all to become COST CENTRES just like the Wallabies. I insist, run at profit! No more subsidies to nobody.
    Now, after those 7 magic steps, I promise you within 3 years NRA will go-back-to-the-black!

In life just like in any sport, somebody has to tap you on your shoulders to get on "the field". Today's administrators and officialdom are scared of sponsors, TV executives, politically correct minorities, managers & agents, unionised players unions, etc.

I think a group of DECENT PEOPLE with their heart in the right place and with 'pockets closed off to any benefit from rugby', could seriously contribute at the very least to provide a strategic direction, corporate discipline, backbone AND...

"last but not least: generate a seriously competitive national & international presence in rugby union as we used to have for 15 years, between 1984 - 1999"!
    Not much to ask is it?
    Happy, Healthy and SAFE Easter to all truly rugby supporters!
    Enrique TOPO Rodriguez

Triple Rugby Union International (1971-1992

vCash
    I like this bit very much:

“I think a group of DECENT PEOPLE with their heart in the right place and with 'pockets closed off to any benefit from rugby', could seriously contribute at the very least to provide a strategic direction, corporate discipline, backbone”

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Read through some previous ARU reports and confirms what I recalled - the historical favouritism towards the VRU is breathtaking
    For each state I calculated each state's percentage of registered community players and then the percentage of community funding the state union received. From 2012 onwards the figures increase from being concerning to absurd! There's a story worth investigating. Unfortunately the format of the Annual Reports is inconsistent so some years data is missing

% of Community Rugby Participants % of ARU Community Rugby contribution
    Year WA Vic WA Vic
    2008 6.65 4.20 3.28 6.62
    2009 6.90 4.16 4.99 7.19
    2010 7.24 4.21 5.28 7.61
    2011 7.31 4.21 4.39 7.14
    2012 7.69 4.29 4.54 13.05
    2013 - - 4.47 13.06
    2014 - - 6.19 10.06
    2015 - - - -
    2016 - - - -
    2017 - - 6.24 8.78