Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force captain Ian Prior feels for axed Sunwolves

Champion
    vCash

Western Force captain Ian Prior feels for axed Sunwolves

Western Force captain Ian Prior feels for axed Sunwolves
    Nick Taylor The West Australian
    Thursday, 21 March 2019 2:23PM

Western Force captain Ian Prior knows exactly what Sunwolves players are going through after discovering their side will be axed from Super Rugby.
    Scrum-half Prior was with the Force in 2017 when Rugby Australia sounded the club’s death knell and controversially culled it from the competition.
    “Certainly feeling for them. I hope they didn’t have to find out like we did via Twitter in a cafe with your mates. Really thinking of them,” said Prior who first joined the Force in 2014.

More here

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881143205z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If they do enter GRR, let's hope they're not the only Japanese team. Be great if there was a Kansai or Kyushu team.

Hell, why not announce these new teams as part of the RWC celebration?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    If they do enter GRR, let's hope they're not the only Japanese team. Be great if there was a Kansai or Kyushu team.

I've brought this up previously but the Wild Knights have been keen on looking beyond the Top League for competition in the past. They are based in Ota and have a nice 24k seat stadium in the form of Kumagaya Rugby Ground in which to play out of. Though a team in Fukuoka wouldn't be terrible.

Last edited by WCRugger; 21-03-19 at 21:49.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    I've brought this up previously but the Wild Knights have been keen on looking beyond the Top League for competition in the past. They are based in Ota and have a nice 24k seat stadium in the form of Kumagaya Rugby Ground in which to play out of. Though a team in Fukuoka wouldn't be terrible.
    Thanks teacher for educating us peasants.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Brush the chip off your shoulder would you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post

It will be two Tokyo teams with the Sunwolves representing greater Tokyo and Panasonic representing Ota City Tokyo .

The city is big enough for two.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    BLR why do you want to castigate every person that comes on here that has a differing opinion? It really does look shit!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    It will be two Tokyo teams with the Sunwolves representing greater Tokyo and Panasonic representing Ota City Tokyo .

The city is big enough for two.
    In my head it was a team each from Kanto, Kansai and Kyushu for geographic spread, but I am sure you are right in terms of the support base and where the initial interest lies. If they can mobilise interest in Japan though, there is almost no end of possibilities for the competition.

vCash
    Sunwolves and Panasonic would be fantastic!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    In my head it was a team each from Kanto, Kansai and Kyushu for geographic spread, but I am sure you are right in terms of the support base and where the initial interest lies. If they can mobilise interest in Japan though, there is almost no end of possibilities for the competition.
    Just combing through the locations of a number of Top League teams are based if you were looking to base teams around general metro area then Tokyo, Osaka and Fukouka would be the best bets.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Just combing through the locations of a number of Top League teams are based if you were looking to base teams around general metro area then Tokyo, Osaka and Fukouka would be the best bets.
    That was my thought. Would also make for a great tour...

Player
    vCash
    I think the goal should be to get at least one Japanese team up and running in the short term but three spread among those areas in time would be great. Japanese derbies. I wonder what they'd look like? Would also add something extra if there ever to be a Korean franchise emerge.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Don't know if they have the support base, but a post-RWC team in Sapporo would make for a nice symmetry to their structure. Four Japanese teams has always felt like the ultimate goal for mine, although as noted that might have been two in the Tokyo area at the cost of Hokkaido...

Problem now is that it all got delayed. They should be looking to ride the wave of the RWC, but that window will close very quickly if they aren't ready to go. Witness Australia post-2003.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Don't know if they have the support base, but a post-RWC team in Sapporo would make for a nice symmetry to their structure. Four Japanese teams has always felt like the ultimate goal for mine, although as noted that might have been two in the Tokyo area at the cost of Hokkaido...

Problem now is that it all got delayed. They should be looking to ride the wave of the RWC, but that window will close very quickly if they aren't ready to go. Witness Australia post-2003.
    I think 4 might be a bridge too far for Japan but with a solid mix of foreign and domestic players they should be able to field 3 competitive squads with the right number of investment. In order to get two more it will likely have to involve external interests coming on board outside of the current set ups.

Champion
    vCash
    If Sunwolves had not such a large passionate supporter base, I'd suggest moving the team to Western Sydney.

In years to come, the new infrastructure being built, new stadium at Parramatta Western Sydney would be ripe for GRR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast