Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 113

Thread: Sunwolves Axed From Super Rugby

  1. #46
    Veteran Bakkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,483
    vCash
    5016000
    If I was Twiggy I wouldn’t touch with SANZAAR a 50 ft barge pole. Any involvement of other bodies should have a load of conditions slapped on them.

    - Uncle Cam and Andy Marinos both gone
    - SANZAAR dissolved and proper commercial structures put in place
    - Longstaff review to be recommenced and made public
    - The Rebels participation to subject to extra conditions so we don’t have the RA writing off another $30 million that was owed by them
    - The Rebels books from 2015 onwards need to be fully audited and made public so we know why all that extra funding from the RA was thrown their way while Community Rugby grants were reduced and the NRC budget was minimal
    - A proper marketing budget to be spent on marketing not junkets and rebranding. This will avoid another situation like what is occurring at the Brumbies where they have said they can’t afford to promote their games

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #47
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,793
    vCash
    966000
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    If I was Twiggy I wouldn’t touch with SANZAAR a 50 ft barge pole. Any involvement of other bodies should have a load of conditions slapped on them.

    - Uncle Cam and Andy Marinos both gone
    - SANZAAR dissolved and proper commercial structures put in place
    - Longstaff review to be recommenced and made public
    - The Rebels participation to subject to extra conditions so we don’t have the RA writing off another $30 million that was owed by them
    - The Rebels books from 2015 onwards need to be fully audited and made public so we know why all that extra funding from the RA was thrown their way while Community Rugby grants were reduced and the NRC budget was minimal
    - A proper marketing budget to be spent on marketing not junkets and rebranding. This will avoid another situation like what is occurring at the Brumbies where they have said they can’t afford to promote their games
    And in the agreement they confirm GRR is division 1 and superdooper rugby is division 2.

    That's how we are rolling in the West.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #48
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    287
    vCash
    5036000
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    There was what 15k in a city of almost 5 million and a state of around 8million. That's almost twice the size of New Zealand. Sorry, you can paint this anyway you want but it appears no one turned up.

    So 0.0018% of the NSW population turned up and gave a shit about the Waratahs
    A little over 18k at a ground with a capacity of a little over 18k. Another 100k+ tuned in at home. And by that reasoning the 15k who turn out for the Sunwolves games must be really dire as Tokyo is a city of 38m in a region of 43m.

    Edit: I should note that on wiki it says 23k for Brookvale but it's current operating capacity is only around 18k.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by WCRugger; 21-03-19 at 12:06.

  4. #49
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    287
    vCash
    5036000
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    If I was Twiggy I wouldn’t touch with SANZAAR a 50 ft barge pole. Any involvement of other bodies should have a load of conditions slapped on them.

    - Uncle Cam and Andy Marinos both gone
    - SANZAAR dissolved and proper commercial structures put in place
    - Longstaff review to be recommenced and made public
    - The Rebels participation to subject to extra conditions so we don’t have the RA writing off another $30 million that was owed by them
    - The Rebels books from 2015 onwards need to be fully audited and made public so we know why all that extra funding from the RA was thrown their way while Community Rugby grants were reduced and the NRC budget was minimal
    - A proper marketing budget to be spent on marketing not junkets and rebranding. This will avoid another situation like what is occurring at the Brumbies where they have said they can’t afford to promote their games
    Yeah, that all seems relatively fair. Though I suspect by collaboration it really just means SANZAAR getting out of GRR way but there's nothing overly disagreeable with anything you've suggested.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #50
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    716
    vCash
    5024000
    Western Force throw Japanese Sunwolves a bone in new competition
    Nick TaylorThe West Australian
    Thursday, 21 March 2019 10:33AM


    Global Rapid Rugby will throw out the welcome mat for Japanese club the Sunwolves, who are about to be culled from Super Rugby.

    GRR is keen to have a strong Japan-based presence, with up to two sides in the competition when it expands to at least eight teams in its first full season next year.

    Organisers were hoping to have a Japanese presence in this year’s series that kicks off tomorrow night when the Western Force host an invitational World XV at HBF Park.

    Talks stalled, but with the axe now hanging over the Sunwolves, GRR is in an ideal position to recruit a ready-made team with a strong fan base.

    GRR will not comment until SANZAAR’s move is confirmed.

    Former Force captain Matt Hodgson, now GRR head of rugby, and several members of the current team were in the Force side when it was axed two years ago.

    The Sunwolves have won only seven of their 43 matches since joining the competition in 2016 and reports say they objected to a request from SANZAAR to pay a Super Rugby participation fee, which is not asked of any of the other franchises.

    Rugby Australia and the New Zealand Rugby Union have supported the Sunwolves as the South Africa Rugby Union orchestrated their demise.

    The SANZAAR decision, set to be revealed tomorrow, comes with Japan Rugby also undecided about the future format of its Top League competition.

    Former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who is in charge of the World XV, has been at the centre of the push for Japanese involvement in the GRR tournament.

    “There’s a lot going on, there’s a lot of ground moving behind the scenes, a lot of politics. Those things will unfold,” Deans told The West Australian.

    World XV owner Steve Berrick is planning to base a side in Japan. “We would look to put a team of stars from around the world in the competition and we certainly want to look at having our home games in Japan,” Berrick said.

    Force coach Tim Sampson has named two debutants, former Queensland Reds hooker Andrew Ready and local product Nick Jooste, among the reserves for tomorrow night’s clash.

    Meanwhile, a GRR spokesman has rubbished claims that secret SANZAAR plans will see GRR become part of an Asian Super Rugby style competition, partly-owned by mining magnate Andrew Forrest.

    A report says the concept has been part of RA chief executive Raelene Castle's briefings to Super Rugby clubs.

    "The story is a figment of someone’s imagination," the GRR spokesman said.

    "Global Rapid Rugby is not part of a secret Asian Super Rugby plan. The story is incorrect."


    GRR is bankrolled by Forrest who set up the organisation after being angered by RA's axing of the Force.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881141859z

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #51
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    287
    vCash
    5036000
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Western Force throw Japanese Sunwolves a bone in new competition
    Nick TaylorThe West Australian
    Thursday, 21 March 2019 10:33AM


    Global Rapid Rugby will throw out the welcome mat for Japanese club the Sunwolves, who are about to be culled from Super Rugby.

    GRR is keen to have a strong Japan-based presence, with up to two sides in the competition when it expands to at least eight teams in its first full season next year.

    Organisers were hoping to have a Japanese presence in this year’s series that kicks off tomorrow night when the Western Force host an invitational World XV at HBF Park.

    Talks stalled, but with the axe now hanging over the Sunwolves, GRR is in an ideal position to recruit a ready-made team with a strong fan base.

    GRR will not comment until SANZAAR’s move is confirmed.

    Former Force captain Matt Hodgson, now GRR head of rugby, and several members of the current team were in the Force side when it was axed two years ago.

    The Sunwolves have won only seven of their 43 matches since joining the competition in 2016 and reports say they objected to a request from SANZAAR to pay a Super Rugby participation fee, which is not asked of any of the other franchises.

    Rugby Australia and the New Zealand Rugby Union have supported the Sunwolves as the South Africa Rugby Union orchestrated their demise.

    The SANZAAR decision, set to be revealed tomorrow, comes with Japan Rugby also undecided about the future format of its Top League competition.

    Former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who is in charge of the World XV, has been at the centre of the push for Japanese involvement in the GRR tournament.

    “There’s a lot going on, there’s a lot of ground moving behind the scenes, a lot of politics. Those things will unfold,” Deans told The West Australian.

    World XV owner Steve Berrick is planning to base a side in Japan. “We would look to put a team of stars from around the world in the competition and we certainly want to look at having our home games in Japan,” Berrick said.

    Force coach Tim Sampson has named two debutants, former Queensland Reds hooker Andrew Ready and local product Nick Jooste, among the reserves for tomorrow night’s clash.

    Meanwhile, a GRR spokesman has rubbished claims that secret SANZAAR plans will see GRR become part of an Asian Super Rugby style competition, partly-owned by mining magnate Andrew Forrest.

    A report says the concept has been part of RA chief executive Raelene Castle's briefings to Super Rugby clubs.

    "The story is a figment of someone’s imagination," the GRR spokesman said.

    "Global Rapid Rugby is not part of a secret Asian Super Rugby plan. The story is incorrect."


    GRR is bankrolled by Forrest who set up the organisation after being angered by RA's axing of the Force.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881141859z
    Perhaps if the JRFU aren't interested in maintaining the squad Berrick can purchase the IP rights to the Sunwolves and operate his team under an established brand.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #52
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    18,520
    vCash
    3052000
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Perhaps if the JRFU aren't interested in maintaining the squad Berrick can purchase the IP rights to the Sunwolves and operate his team under an established brand.
    and by doing so, become the Andrew Forrest of the Sunwolves, giving certainty and direction where the sport's governing body have given none.

    He could start with the existing Sunwolves player list, adding some established superstar names and do pretty bloody OK, whilst taking advantage of a similarly passionate and rusted on fanbase as the Force.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  8. #53
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    287
    vCash
    5036000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    and by doing so, become the Andrew Forrest of the Sunwolves, giving certainty and direction where the sport's governing body have given none.

    He could start with the existing Sunwolves player list, adding some established superstar names and do pretty bloody OK, whilst taking advantage of a similarly passionate and rusted on fanbase as the Force.
    Basically, yeah.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #54
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,793
    vCash
    966000
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post

    A report says the concept has been part of RA chief executive Raelene Castle's briefings to Super Rugby clubs.

    "The story is a figment of someone’s imagination," the GRR spokesman said.

    "Global Rapid Rugby is not part of a secret Asian Super Rugby plan. The story is incorrect."[/B]

    GRR is bankrolled by Forrest who set up the organisation after being angered by RA's axing of the Force.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881141859z
    So it looks like Georgina Robinson is a dirty disgusting liar. Why doesn't she go back into her shell and just do us all a favour and fuck off... we can't be bothered with fake news here in the West, maybe she can get a job with CNN and report on something else because time and time again she has proved reporting on rugby is not her thing. Another idiot journalist out of touch with the West. I'm glad ththe GRR spokesman put her into her place.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #55
    Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Reality
    Posts
    1,443
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Meanwhile, a GRR spokesman has rubbished claims that secret SANZAAR plans will see GRR become part of an Asian Super Rugby style competition, partly-owned by mining magnate Andrew Forrest.

    A report says the concept has been part of RA chief executive Raelene Castle's briefings to Super Rugby clubs.

    "The story is a figment of someone’s imagination," the GRR spokesman said.

    "Global Rapid Rugby is not part of a secret Asian Super Rugby plan. The story is incorrect."


    GRR is bankrolled by Forrest who set up the organisation after being angered by RA's axing of the Force.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881141859z
    Rugby Australia has been using puff pieces in the Sydney newspapers to push it's delusional lies? Well, colour me shocked ...... not.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #56
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    177
    vCash
    5038000
    As Nick McArdle so eloquently stated on Fox .... You can’t polish a Turd ....

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #57
    Veteran BLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,747
    vCash
    5000000
    Should we be learning how to cheer in 'Sunwolves'?

    https://youtu.be/RMqwYjRTAlA

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #58
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,675
    vCash
    5014000
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Western Force throw Japanese Sunwolves a bone in new competition
    Nick TaylorThe West Australian
    Thursday, 21 March 2019 10:33AM


    Global Rapid Rugby will throw out the welcome mat for Japanese club the Sunwolves, who are about to be culled from Super Rugby.

    GRR is keen to have a strong Japan-based presence, with up to two sides in the competition when it expands to at least eight teams in its first full season next year.

    Organisers were hoping to have a Japanese presence in this year’s series that kicks off tomorrow night when the Western Force host an invitational World XV at HBF Park.

    Talks stalled, but with the axe now hanging over the Sunwolves, GRR is in an ideal position to recruit a ready-made team with a strong fan base.

    GRR will not comment until SANZAAR’s move is confirmed.

    Former Force captain Matt Hodgson, now GRR head of rugby, and several members of the current team were in the Force side when it was axed two years ago.

    The Sunwolves have won only seven of their 43 matches since joining the competition in 2016 and reports say they objected to a request from SANZAAR to pay a Super Rugby participation fee, which is not asked of any of the other franchises.

    Rugby Australia and the New Zealand Rugby Union have supported the Sunwolves as the South Africa Rugby Union orchestrated their demise.

    The SANZAAR decision, set to be revealed tomorrow, comes with Japan Rugby also undecided about the future format of its Top League competition.

    Former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who is in charge of the World XV, has been at the centre of the push for Japanese involvement in the GRR tournament.

    “There’s a lot going on, there’s a lot of ground moving behind the scenes, a lot of politics. Those things will unfold,” Deans told The West Australian.

    World XV owner Steve Berrick is planning to base a side in Japan. “We would look to put a team of stars from around the world in the competition and we certainly want to look at having our home games in Japan,” Berrick said.

    Force coach Tim Sampson has named two debutants, former Queensland Reds hooker Andrew Ready and local product Nick Jooste, among the reserves for tomorrow night’s clash.

    Meanwhile, a GRR spokesman has rubbished claims that secret SANZAAR plans will see GRR become part of an Asian Super Rugby style competition, partly-owned by mining magnate Andrew Forrest.

    A report says the concept has been part of RA chief executive Raelene Castle's briefings to Super Rugby clubs.

    "The story is a figment of someone’s imagination," the GRR spokesman said.

    "Global Rapid Rugby is not part of a secret Asian Super Rugby plan. The story is incorrect."


    GRR is bankrolled by Forrest who set up the organisation after being angered by RA's axing of the Force.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881141859z
    Good to see that at least our journo at The Worst checked out Robinson's outrageous claims with Global.
    I wonder of she will fire back?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #59
    Veteran BLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,747
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Good to see that at least our journo at The Worst checked out Robinson's outrageous claims with Global.
    I wonder of she will fire back?
    I would think if it goes with form of most journo's over there it will just be papered over and ignored.

    It never happened at all!

    And then if in 2 years time something remotely similar to their scoop occurs 'I KNEW IT ALL ALONG'.

    Such is tradition.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #60
    Veteran Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    4,816
    vCash
    5034000
    TWF Contributor! 141 Club Award
    Talk about how to miss the main story!

    Whatever people might think of Robinson, it is very unlikely she just sat down and fabricated a story out of nothing. The point from her story is that what she described is the RA/SANZAR ambition for GRR - they want it to be a second division feeder competition for SR to underpin their economics. Castle is apparently going around and briefing the teams, saying exactly that. So if they don't know it already, the main point GRR and their supporters should be taking away is that any and all involvement by and with SANZAR will have that end goal in mind. There is no philanthropy and there are no 'good rugby men' among them...trust them at all, fail to cover even the most outrageous contingencies, and you will end up as their bitch. Again.

    5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-05-18, 15:02
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-17, 21:57
  3. Sunwolves v Force
    By travelling_gerry in forum Western Force
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-05-16, 08:02
  4. Sunwolves
    By jargan83 in forum Super Rugby
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14-03-16, 12:26
  5. Welcome to Super Rugby Japan's Sunwolves!
    By The InnFORCEr in forum Super Rugby
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-10-15, 16:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •