Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunwolves Axed From Super Rugby

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    You are starting to sound like Trainwreck talking up ratings. The teams are broke, no money for marketing, unions that made profits are budgeting for losses this year, putting out the begging bowl to the Six Nations for the next ten years and there are no potential bidders to oppose Foxsports to drive up their bid offer. SANZAAR has needed that the past two times that has gone up for tender. Only went up last time due to bids in England and France.

The RA are future forecasting and budgeting for the support of the game based upon revenue from tournaments and series that haven’t been signed off on. That is a dangerous threat to the game and of course not being called out in the press by their puppets.
    Don't get me wrong. The administration of the game in this country is a travesty. If you were to do a deep analysis of it you'd likely find much of the financial issues of the game stems directly from it. And I am reading all these reports acting like things like the Nations League is a lock in a state of disbelief at present. And forecasting/budgeting on those assumptions is lunacy.

But, there seems to be this assumption that SR is in free fall in the ratings. Which is what I'm talking about here. And in which the numbers aren't supporting. What the number saying that the season average for 2017 after all game were completed was 51k. The corresponding figures for the 2018 season averaged at 54k. Though that figure can be explained by the loss of the Perth game which drew an average 35k during its broadcast.

This season we are seeing a significant jump in the early ratings. Comfortably above the corresponding period and games to that of last year. And these numbers are kind of important. As they are what broadcasts use as guides for determining the value of a product. Allison has said that her information suggests Foxtel are keen on bidding. I suggest they are more playing hard ball not wanting to be seen as too willing considering they even admitted to paying overs for both the NRL and AFL deals and are currently watching the A-League in which they are paying $68m a season for go into what appears to be a terminal decline in ratings.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Apparently the Sunwolves will join division 2 of Super Rugby which is Global Rapid Rugby according to Georgina Robinson. I honestly think at this stage she should hang up the boots and retire from journalism. This game isnt for her. Feel free to read the below at your own risk...
    When Georgina Robinson first came onto the scene I thought. Great. No more Greg Growden and his endless drivel. Sadly, she's become more or less Growden lite in her propensity to phrase things snidely. Calling this supposed collaboration a 2nd Div as opposed to what it actually will be. A corresponding competition. I think if this is the case it will be a net positive. For Forrest and Co. having SANZAAR endorse the competition (and that's all this really is) will allow them to proceed with less obfuscation on its behalf. Which can only be a good thing.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    As maybe, but I have no doubt what she is saying is how SANZAR would very much like this to play out - a separate competition that doesn't compete for players with SR, and maybe even feeds them players and funding.

We have no details on what it is, let alone where it is heading. For all we know that is exactly where it is going. We will have to wait and see.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    As maybe, but I have no doubt what she is saying is how SANZAR would very much like this to play out - a separate competition that doesn't compete for players with SR, and maybe even feeds them players and funding.

We have no details on what it is, let alone where it is heading. For all we know that is exactly where it is going. We will have to wait and see.
    Hmm...I hope not. I'm hoping is just Georgina being Georgina which is disingenuous and the reality is that this deal is more of an endorsement than a 2nd Div structure.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    What the number saying that the season average for 2017 after all game were completed was 51k. The corresponding figures for the 2018 season averaged at 54k.
    That's 3k viewers, ... an extra 6% ... right?

But wait, it's fewer games so instead of 1.9 million overall viewers, they got 1.7 million viewers

It's down by 8%.

Senior Player
    vCash
    And these numbers are kind of important. As they are what broadcasts use as guides for determining the value of a product.
    Your soup rugby numbers on oztam are not what determines value.

Because Super Rugby doesn't bring much.

It relies on being bundled with Test matches

Player
    vCash
    I’m no stats guru but to me TV ratings depend on the excitement created by the game . One element of that is the Fans that turn up to watch . ( How watchable is a packed stadium with passionate Fans .... Six Nations...Gallagher Premiership....Pro 14 . ) SANZAAR has in its ineptitude totally ignored this and I believe paid the price ( literally) . Bring the Fans back into it !! something that AF and Minderoo are doing........

Last edited by bootsetal06; 21-03-19 at 10:06.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post

But wait, it's fewer games so instead of 1.9 million overall viewers, they got 1.7 million viewers

It's down by 8%.
    I'm just giving you the averages mate which is all RA will care about at present. And that still doesn't negate the increase seen so far this season.

Player
    vCash
    Your soup rugby numbers on oztam are not what determines value.

Because Super Rugby doesn't bring much.

It relies on being bundled with Test matches
    It brings in more than the A-League.

Champion
    vCash
    Hmm...I hope not. I'm hoping is just Georgina being Georgina which is disingenuous and the reality is that this deal is more of an endorsement than a 2nd Div structure.
    The Herald understands it would be a SANZAAR-endorsed competition part-owned by Forrest, Australia's mining billionaire, with a Japanese team to be added to the founding Rapid Rugby clubs, the Western Force, Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong and Singapore. A Malaysian team and potentially a second Australian team could be added. The Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union was reported to be in "high level" discussions with the Rapid Rugby team about basing a team out of there from next year."

I had a chuckle at that bit.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsetal06 View Post
    I’m no stats guru but to me TV ratings depend on the excitement created by the game . One element of that is the Fans that turn up to watch . ( How watchable is packed stadium with passionate Fans .... Six Nations...Gallagher Premiership....Pro 14 . ) SANZAAR has in its ineptitude has totally ignored this and I believe paid the price ( literally) . Bring the Fans back into it !! something that AF and Minderoo are doing........
    For the most part SR has been very watchable across the board this season. Which is being reflected in the ratings. I agree it is hard to get your head around playing in such cavernous stadiums. The Tahs opener at Brookvale proved that people are far more willing to turn up if they feel closer to the action and part of a greater sense of atmosphere.

vCash
    For the most part SR has been very watchable across the board this season. Which is being reflected in the ratings. I agree it is hard to get your head around playing in such cavernous stadiums. The Tahs opener at Brookvale proved that people are far more willing to turn up if they feel closer to the action and part of a greater sense of atmosphere.
    We wouldn't know, most of us don't watch it...but tell us more about how much fun you're having over there, super relevant to us over here.....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    We wouldn't know, most of us don't watch it...but tell us more about how much fun you're having over there, super relevant to us over here.....
    Mate, I watch Rugby from all over the world. Not trying to rub anything in. I'm looking forward to the Showcase Series as I enjoyed last years offering.

vCash

It's down by 8%.
    Are they just the viewers that have left the stands. Attendances are down and viewers for the made up ratings are slightly up, so have the crowds left the stadiums and watching it at home instead. Looks likely to be the case.

vCash
    There was what 15k in a city of almost 5 million and a state of around 8million. That's almost twice the size of New Zealand. Sorry, you can paint this anyway you want but it appears no one turned up.

So 0.0018% of the NSW population turned up and gave a shit about the Waratahs

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast