Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 113

Thread: Sunwolves Axed From Super Rugby

  1. #16
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bullcreek
    Posts
    1,041
    vCash
    5220000
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    As much as I hated the culling of the Force it has seen a lift in the ratings. Which unfortunately as far as Clyne and Co. are concerned justifies their actions.

    And once again apparently one of the parties behind the removal of the Sunwolves was the Japanese Union themselves. Likely because they weren't keen on paying the participation fee. GRR should certainly consider talking to them. Not having to pay that fee plus being able to play all their home games in Tokyo would be very appealing to them. They'd also be very competitive in GRR.
    I except ratings will drop again when people have AFL and Rugby league to choose from as well so they shouldnít crow to loudly on that front!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #17
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    294
    vCash
    5050000
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    Aussie teams: How much more money you gonna give us for turning our backs?
    They were actually very public about wanting the Sunwolves to stay in SR. Sunwolves games both drew reasonable crowds and ratings. Much better than SA teams. They also meant hosting more games which was good for their bottom lines. Losing them is not what they wanted.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #18
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    294
    vCash
    5050000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I except ratings will drop again when people have AFL and Rugby league to choose from as well so they shouldnít crow to loudly on that front!
    Games hosted in Australia were actually up 9% to 71k last year. Going from the early ratings even with the expected fall away the early season ratings are way up on last year and look likely to help the competition end up higher again this season. I'm not saying this justifies culling the Force just that in the mind of those behind it, it certainly will.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #19
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    179
    vCash
    5062000
    Jeez . Sunwolves had the best fans and consistently large numbers ( since the Force Sea of Blue ) . Once again fans screwed over by a crowd that are chasing their own arses.
    Welcome to GRR the Wolves and Fans . Youíll be looked after here .

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by bootsetal06; 20-03-19 at 15:12.

  5. #20
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,859
    vCash
    1046000
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    As much as I hated the culling of the Force it has seen a lift in the ratings. Which unfortunately as far as Clyne and Co. are concerned justifies their actions.

    And once again apparently one of the parties behind the removal of the Sunwolves was the Japanese Union themselves. Likely because they weren't keen on paying the participation fee. GRR should certainly consider talking to them. Not having to pay that fee plus being able to play all their home games in Tokyo would be very appealing to them. They'd also be very competitive in GRR.
    No other team is required to pay a participation fee so ofcourse the JRU would be supportive to leave under that scenario. They are a developing nation, not a charity. It seems like an attempt by SANZAAR to blackmail money out of a union after they were left with their pants down after Twiggy made his $70 million offer which they originally turned down. Seems like SANZAAR are now in need of some cash to keep things alive.

    As per the ratings I would like to see some facts around the increase because all other evidence points to a decrease. The last few rounds of super rugby were played when pretty much no other rival sports were on (not even cricket) so they have not had to compete for the viewers market yet, the next few rounds will be telling. Also crowds look pathetic this year. All signs point to a competition on its knees pleading for mercy, I just hope Twiggy cuts them off at the head next year by stealing all the good players for GRR. Interesting times. Also just a note that the Force average higher attendances than all the other franchises which makes me think had they been retained in SuperRugby then the superdooper comp would be doing even better than they supposedly are now.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #21
    Legend Contributor Alison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,000
    vCash
    5218000
    TWF Contributor!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_...r-rugby-report

    Asia's only Super Rugby-based side is set to be axed from the competition.

    According to reports, the Sunwolves involvement in Super Rugby is set to end after South Africa Rugby led the push to remove the side from the competition citing a lack of local interest to their matches and the travel time being too taxing.

    Players and officials within the team were made aware of their axing on Tuesday night, leaving them devastated.

    A Sunwolves representative told The Australian SANZAAR had requested the side pay a participation fee but the club had refused.

    No other club pays a participation fee.



    Ok, theres a Japanese team for Global Rapid Rugby.
    They could have stayed if they paid a big fee? Hmmm seem to recall Twiggy offered up a lot more and was sent packing!!

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

  7. #22
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    294
    vCash
    5050000
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    No other team is required to pay a participation fee so ofcourse the JRU would be supportive to leave under that scenario. They are a developing nation, not a charity. It seems like an attempt by SANZAAR to blackmail money out of a union after they were left with their pants down after Twiggy made his $70 million offer which they originally turned down. Seems like SANZAAR are now in need of some cash to keep things alive.

    As per the ratings I would like to see some facts around the increase because all other evidence points to a decrease. The last few rounds of super rugby were played when pretty much no other rival sports were on (not even cricket) so they have not had to compete for the viewers market yet, the next few rounds will be telling. Also crowds look pathetic this year. All signs point to a competition on its knees pleading for mercy, I just hope Twiggy cuts them off at the head next year by stealing all the good players for GRR. Interesting times. Also just a note that the Force average higher attendances than all the other franchises which makes me think had they been retained in SuperRugby then the superdooper comp would be doing even better than they supposedly are now.
    Mate, there's a whole thread on G&GR dedicated to them and the numbers are very much up. A number of us have combed through last year and and this year so far and we're talking double digits. A good example of this is the Tahs/Reds game. Last year the second game between the two which rated the best managed 90k. The game a fortnight ago drew 128k. The Rebels have been drawing over 75k each game this season. Their previous highs have been in the mid 50k range. The ratings are up.

    Perhaps you're thinking of the A-League which managed just 119k across its five games on the weekend.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #23
    Legend Contributor Alison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,000
    vCash
    5218000
    TWF Contributor!
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Games hosted in Australia were actually up 9% to 71k last year. Going from the early ratings even with the expected fall away the early season ratings are way up on last year and look likely to help the competition end up higher again this season. I'm not saying this justifies culling the Force just that in the mind of those behind it, it certainly will.
    And you believe those figures?

    Nothing justifies culling the Force. The decision was corrupt, contemptuous, based on a complete and utter lie and was done solely to shore up the Rebels. It had nothing to do with rugby and everything to do with egos, power and mates doing deals for mates.

    6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

  9. #24
    Veteran Bakkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    5062000
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I can't understand how the host country for the World Cup has their own team kicked out of Super Rugby!
    I can. SANZAAR are deluded in thinking that the 6 Nations committee unions will bail out broke and corrupt unions south of the equator. The RA thought that a cut would strengthen Super Rugby but SARU sent their cut sides to Europe, reduced their player numbers professionally so sent some of them off to Malaysia and Rassie Erasmus comes out pushing regulation 9. Much easier to force when you are aligned in the same comps as you arenít going to enforce that they way things are. Paid in Pounds and Euros rather than US Pesos.

    I knew the Sunwolves in to Super Rugby wouldnít work due to not being full partners (Italy had the same issues with Pro 12), travel arrangements and going against company owned clubs for player availability.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Bakkies; 20-03-19 at 18:58.

  10. #25
    Veteran Bakkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    5062000
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    South Africa pushes for Japanese inclusion in Super Rugby to prop up one of the South African conferences.

    Sunwolves forced to play every game against South African sides in Singapore in front of empty stands and used "lack of local support" as a reason for booting them.

    South Africa says travel time is too much despite Johannesburg to Singapore being a shorter flight than Johannesburg to Sydney by an hour and a half.
    SA never wanted to play a Japanese team in Super Rugby. Doesnít work. Aus and NZ did want the Sunwolves for extra revenue in case SARU walked which they are now following through with actions. Aus and NZ didnít come up with funds to help compensate the Sunwolves player release and travel arrangements. The RA spent all that money on the Rabble, lawyers, rebranding and reviews.

    They have been angry and threatening to walk out since the ARU threatened to kick them out and then went on to use Super Rugby as a de facto domestic comp for marketing purposes which came at the detriment of the Currie Cup. The RA said that if the Kings got ahead of the Rebels bid they would put the Force in to the SA conference so the Rebels could be admitted to realise John OíNeills child hood dream of having a team based in Melbourne. To me that was an immediate red flag in regards to the future of the Force at the time.

    SARU didnít want an extended season and duplicated derbies to eat in to their domestic comp with over 100 years history and kept their Rugby going under isolation. Argentina under various identities provided SAís top players with international opposition and it gave players like Hugo Porta exposure as not every match they played was classed as a test match. They arenít going to throw the Jaguares under the bus. UAR are a full partner so it will require a 100% vote to kick them out. They wonít vote themselves out and neither will SA.

    I am with SA 100% on this. The RA are enablers and fýckwits of the highest order.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #26
    Veteran Bakkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    5062000
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Mate, there's a whole thread on G&GR dedicated to them and the numbers are very much up. A number of us have combed through last year and and this year so far and we're talking double digits. A good example of this is the Tahs/Reds game. Last year the second game between the two which rated the best managed 90k. The game a fortnight ago drew 128k. The Rebels have been drawing over 75k each game this season. Their previous highs have been in the mid 50k range. The ratings are up.

    Perhaps you're thinking of the A-League which managed just 119k across its five games on the weekend.
    You are starting to sound like Trainwreck talking up ratings. The teams are broke, no money for marketing, unions that made profits are budgeting for losses this year, putting out the begging bowl to the Six Nations for the next ten years and there are no potential bidders to oppose Foxsports to drive up their bid offer. SANZAAR has needed that the past two times that has gone up for tender. Only went up last time due to bids in England and France.

    The RA are future forecasting and budgeting for the support of the game based upon revenue from tournaments and series that havenít been signed off on. That is a dangerous threat to the game and of course not being called out in the press by their puppets.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #27
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,859
    vCash
    1046000
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    SA never wanted to play a Japanese team in Super Rugby. Doesnít work. Aus and NZ did want the Sunwolves for extra revenue in case SARU walked which they are now following through with actions. Aus and NZ didnít come up with funds to help compensate the Sunwolves player release and travel arrangements. The RA spent all that money on the Rabble, lawyers, rebranding and reviews.

    They have been angry and threatening to walk out since the ARU threatened to kick them out and then went on to use Super Rugby as a de facto domestic comp for marketing purposes which came at the detriment of the Currie Cup. The RA said that if the Kings got ahead of the Rebels bid they would put the Force in to the SA conference so the Rebels could be admitted to realise John OíNeills child hood dream of having a team based in Melbourne. To me that was an immediate red flag in regards to the future of the Force at the time.

    SARU didnít want an extended season and duplicated derbies to eat in to their domestic comp with over 100 years history and kept their Rugby going under isolation. Argentina under various identities provided SAís top players with international opposition and it gave players like Hugo Porta exposure as not every match they played was classed as a test match. They arenít going to throw the Jaguares under the bus. UAR are a full partner so it will require a 100% vote to kick them out. They wonít vote themselves out and neither will SA.

    I am with SA 100% on this. The RA are enablers and fýckwits of the highest order.
    Yeah RSA share alot of history with the South American Jaguars *cough* Argentinian rugby union side.. its a very rich one that is now getting the recognition it deserves. I doubt South Africa will ever want to see the end of the South Americans in super rugby, and rightly so.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #28
    Veteran Bakkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    5062000
    SARU helped set up UAR professional development by allowing the Pampas to play in the Vodacom Cup.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'


    https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

    Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

    https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

  14. #29
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,859
    vCash
    1046000
    Apparently the Sunwolves will join division 2 of Super Rugby which is Global Rapid Rugby according to Georgina Robinson. I honestly think at this stage she should hang up the boots and retire from journalism. This game isnt for her. Feel free to read the below at your own risk...

    Sunwolves, Fiji could join second tier Super Rugby competition

    Georgina Robinson
    07:24, Mar 21 2019
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Whats App
    Reddit
    Email
    Comments4

    Sunwolves players face an uncertain future with the Japanese team set to be axed after next season.
    GETTY IMAGES

    Sunwolves players face an uncertain future with the Japanese team set to be axed after next season.

    The Sunwolves and a Fiji team would live on in an Asian Super Rugby competition under top secret plans being worked up by Sanzaar.

    In a move unlikely to soften the blow to the Sunwolves, who were informed late on Wednesday they would be cut from Super Rugby from 2021, it appears there would still be a place for them in a division two-style tie-up with Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest's Global Rapid Rugby.


    The concept is understood to be the next cab off the rank for Sanzaar, who will announce their Super Rugby plans on Friday but cannot make any broader decisions on the Rugby Championship or other competitions until there is certainty about World Rugby's Nations Championship plan.

    That should come by the end of the month, with the 12-team global competition to live or die by a March 29 deadline for the unions to enter an exclusive negotiation period.

    READ MORE
    * Sunwolves to be dropped from Super Rugby - reports
    * Waratahs boss urges Sanzaar to save the Sunwolves
    * Sanzaar mulling round robin return for Super Rugby

    If it succeeds, Fiji is understood to be a certainty for an expanded six-team Rugby Championship, while Japan's inclusion still has a question mark hanging over it.

    The Asian Super Rugby concept has formed part of Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle's roadshow briefings to the Australian Super bosses this week.

    ADVERTISEMENT


    Advertise with Stuff
    The Sydney Morning Herald understands it would be a Sanzaar-endorsed competition part-owned by Forrest, Australia's mining billionaire, with a Japanese team to be added to the founding Rapid Rugby clubs, the Western Force, Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong and Singapore.


    A Malaysian team and potentially a second Australian team could be added. The Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union was reported to be in "high level" discussions with the Rapid Rugby team about basing a team out of there from next year.

    GRR deflected the issue, keen to keep their focus on this weekend's opening showcase match between the Western Force and a Robbie Deans-coached World XV selection.

    "The drive to provide an innovative and exciting brand of rugby throughout the Asia Pacific region in 2019 remains unchanged. Global Rapid Rugby is here for the long term," a spokesperson said.

    "On the eve of the first game of the 2019 Showcase Series, we are excited about what the rugby world is about to see and enjoy."

    The developments came to light as Sanzaar went into damage control on the Sunwolves news.

    The team is in its fourth season of Super Rugby and has gone from being the joke of the competition to genuine competitors, securing their first away win Ė against the Chiefs in New Zealand Ė this season.

    They also boast a loyal following, regularly attracting crowds of 15,000 or more to their home games at Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium in Tokyo Ė a figure no Australian team would sneeze at.

    The decision has been in the works for some time after considerable pressure from South Africa, who contribute the largest share of broadcast revenue and have long objected to the extra travel demands brought by a Japan-based team.

    It has also been speculated that South African audiences have not warmed to games featuring the Sunwolves.

    Billionaire Andrew Forrest is in discussions to partly fund an Asian Super Rugby with Sanzaar.
    PAUL KANE/GETTY IMAGES
    Billionaire Andrew Forrest is in discussions to partly fund an Asian Super Rugby with Sanzaar.
    That alone would not have been enough to have the team axed. Weakening their position further, if not fatally, the Japan Rugby Football Union was not able to come up with the commercial contributions to match the other members of Sanzaar.

    At crunch meetings in London last week, Argentina is also understood to have supported South Africa, leaving Australia and New Zealand as the lone voices in support of the Sunwolves' continued presence in the competition.

    How staunch that support was cannot be known. The move will not be welcomed by Australian Super Rugby bosses, all of whom have worked hard to clinch commercial deals with Japanese companies.

    But other Australian sources were keen to point out that Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne would not have signed up to a model that would be a net loss for Australian teams, even pointing out that they stood to benefit financially from the money saved by not having the Sunwolves in the competition.

    The move will be criticised for its timing. This year Japan will host the Rugby World Cup, the first time the event will be held in Asia.

    It will be an embarrassing look for World Rugby to have the host nation booted out of the premier provincial competition just six months out from the opening match of the World Cup

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #30
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    294
    vCash
    5050000
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    And you believe those figures?

    Nothing justifies culling the Force. The decision was corrupt, contemptuous, based on a complete and utter lie and was done solely to shore up the Rebels. It had nothing to do with rugby and everything to do with egos, power and mates doing deals for mates.
    Yes, because I went back and checked them. The season average was 54k when accounting for the games played in SA and Arg but for games hosted in Australia the average was 71k. Again, I'm not actually suggesting that this is any kind of justification for culling the Force. I've said as much three times now including this post. But you cannot ignore realities and the realities are that the SR ratings are up this year. Comfortably so.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-05-18, 15:02
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-17, 21:57
  3. Sunwolves v Force
    By travelling_gerry in forum Western Force
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-05-16, 08:02
  4. Sunwolves
    By jargan83 in forum Super Rugby
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14-03-16, 12:26
  5. Welcome to Super Rugby Japan's Sunwolves!
    By The InnFORCEr in forum Super Rugby
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-10-15, 16:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •