Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: GRR - Game 1 - Force v World XV 22 March 2019 @ HBF Park

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    So kids actually went to this game?
    Lots of kids, including my 4 yr old granddaughter who lasted the whole game with the help of some red food colouring and sugar. It was a great night all round.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yeh lots of kids. You could especially see this on the field after the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Anyone heard how long the ball was in play? There certainly didn’t seem to be to many breaks.
    No but it was a winner. The World XV looked a class above the Force,as you'd expect. Until age and fitness took effect in both halves. Not kicking on the full from own 22 particularly.

There's a theory, in both Rugby codes that fatigue under pressure brings the high skill players more into play creating more line breaks, tries etc as the bigger blokes wilt. Fatigue should also alleviate some of the more dangerous collisions in the game. With the current focus on brain trauma these type of modifications are mandatory really for both sports. Not just so parents vwill continue to let their kids play but more importantly as a duty of care throuout their whole career, no matter what level they get to. Malcolm Knox has written a great piece on this in the SMH today. But didn't really focus on the remedies.

RL, in particular, has seen detrimental rule variations over time which have highlighted these collisions. The games that I grew up with highlighted speed, skill and creativity. High time to return to that.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    No but it was a winner. The World XV looked a class above the Force,as you'd expect. Until age and fitness took effect in both halves. Not kicking on the full from own 22 particularly.

There's a theory, in both Rugby codes that fatigue under pressure brings the high skill players more into play creating more line breaks, tries etc as the bigger blokes wilt. Fatigue should also alleviate some of the more dangerous collisions in the game. With the current focus on brain trauma these type of modifications are mandatory really for both sports. Not just so parents vwill continue to let their kids play but more importantly as a duty of care throuout their whole career, no matter what level they get to. Malcolm Knox has written a great piece on this in the SMH today. But didn't really focus on the remedies.

RL, in particular, has seen detrimental rule variations over time which have highlighted these collisions. The games that I grew up with highlighted speed, skill and creativity. High time to return to that.
    Thanks for the theory Albert Einstein. Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention that skillful players stand out amongst fatigued individuals.. I am enlightened.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Yeh lots of kids. You could especially see this on the field after the game.
    Yeah nah, there was fuck all kids and fuck all families. I actually turned up with 3 kids and we sat in the empty junior section as no one had taken up there tickets and come despite them being free. The 4 year old we had with us fell asleep just after half time and had to be carried to the car. We weren't the only one brave enough to take a child under 5 as I saw quite a few families with groggy kids laying on peoples laps.

Last year there were kids everywhere, like literally in every second or third seat. The crowds were over 15k (there were about 4-5k worth of children and families missing this year as evident by the 11k we saw last night and all the adults shamefully playing bongo cam)

Here's a few pics of the crowd and there are hardly any kids so you can try and paint the picture any way you want or even try and create your own selfish and totally wrong narrative if it makes you sleep better at night that GRR didnt shamelessly sell itself out to the beer drinking public at the expense of appealing to the next generation of fans, something Superugby was bad at but this year the GRR showcase series seems ironically worse at despite all the advertisement about being Family friendly.

Let's be honest 11k was a shithouse crowd considering there were Springboks, Wallaby and All Black players playing for the World 15.

They are Hi Res shots so you can zoom in on the crowd in considerable detail.

But hey, don't let a good story get in the way of the truth.. I prefer to prove my point with facts, and not by looking at everything GRR does through rose tinted glasses like the cheerleaders do.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    ... there was fuck all kids and fuck all families...

I saw quite a few families with groggy kids ...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Yes you can play devils advocate with the wording. Fair game.

I never said there werent families. It was a direct comparison to the amount of families that came to World Series Rugby compared to the 11k that turned up for Global Rapid Rugby.

Anyways Darren, did you make it to the game.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    All I can say is I'm loving the ignore feature, definitely can recommend.
    Turns this site back into a rugby discussion rather than a whinge fest.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yes their were loads there.

May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Yes their were loads there.
    Yup, from where I sat there were considerably more than I've seen at the games since 2006.
    and none seemed to be sleeping....

vCash
    Silly me didn't take any hi res pics of the kids sitting next to and around me....just as well their parents might have taken offence

Shasta, agree completely re fatigue, speed, skill etc. Another aspect is the ball. Rugby was designed with a leather ball, that became heavy with dew and rain. You couldn't kick it very far, kick goals from too far, or throw it too far. Thus the 15 players, and size of the pitch. The dynamics changed with synthetic balls.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Silly me didn't take any hi res pics of the kids sitting next to and around me....just as well their parents might have taken offence

Shasta, agree completely re fatigue, speed, skill etc. Another aspect is the ball. Rugby was designed with a leather ball, that became heavy with dew and rain. You couldn't kick it very far, kick goals from too far, or throw it too far. Thus the 15 players, and size of the pitch. The dynamics changed with synthetic balls.
    Yeah, good point. I just think both codes are going to have to adapt to the player welfare aspect as much as improving the spectacle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    All I can say is I'm loving the ignore feature, definitely can recommend.
    Turns this site back into a rugby discussion rather than a whinge fest.
    Another one pretending he has me on ignore.

vCash
    I had an absolute ball with my 5 yr old, although I'd prefer the game to start an hour earlier the little man made it through the entire game and even out screamed some of the older WF fans in front of us. Definitely my favorite father/son quality time. I also went into the members south marquee for the first time and loved it. Cant wait for next week.

#FU ARU
    "May I assure you I have just begun to fight mate" Twiggy Forrest, 05/09/17

Champion
    vCash
    Before I have my moan I'd just like to say how grateful I am that we have our Force.
    BUT I found the endless drivel from the on ground commentators bloody annoying as well as the pointless kiss cam, robot cam and God knows whatever else cam.
    I understand they are trying to mix game and entertainment but it needs toning down.
    The least they can do is use someone who knows something about the game and not just dribblers gushing on about how wonderful everything is when they are talking out of their backsides half the time.
    Rugby crowds are not basketball crowds.
    It was all a bit too much at times, annoying and distracting from what we were really there for.
    I know a few others who feel the same way and while I will still be there on Friday I hope they take note of any comments.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast