Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: GRR - Game 1 - Force v World XV 22 March 2019 @ HBF Park

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Before I have my moan I'd just like to say how grateful I am that we have our Force.
    BUT I found the endless drivel from the on ground commentators bloody annoying as well as the pointless kiss cam, robot cam and God knows whatever else cam.
    I understand they are trying to mix game and entertainment but it needs toning down.
    The least they can do is use someone who knows something about the game and not just dribblers gushing on about how wonderful everything is when they are talking out of their backsides half the time.
    Rugby crowds are not basketball crowds.
    It was all a bit too much at times, annoying and distracting from what we were really there for.
    I know a few others who feel the same way and while I will still be there on Friday I hope they take note of any comments.
    mate- first up please dont think that this is an attack on your comment in any way shape or form.

In my humble opinion, I believe that the entertainment - including the on-field interviews, music and various Cams etc are not aimed at you or me or the majority of TWF regulars.

I think the Minderoo team are making a concerted effort to attract a new viewer to Rugby. And they are aiming at the new and upwardly mobile 16-20somethings.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some interactive app that will come into the @game experience.

The old school rugby fan is going to come and watch the Rugby rain hail and shine. These new fans require a bit more bang for their buck.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Before I have my moan I'd just like to say how grateful I am that we have our Force.
    BUT I found the endless drivel from the on ground commentators bloody annoying as well as the pointless kiss cam, robot cam and God knows whatever else cam.
    I understand they are trying to mix game and entertainment but it needs toning down.
    The least they can do is use someone who knows something about the game and not just dribblers gushing on about how wonderful everything is when they are talking out of their backsides half the time.
    Rugby crowds are not basketball crowds.
    It was all a bit too much at times, annoying and distracting from what we were really there for.
    I know a few others who feel the same way and while I will still be there on Friday I hope they take note of any comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    mate- first up please dont think that this is an attack on your comment in any way shape or form.

In my humble opinion, I believe that the entertainment - including the on-field interviews, music and various Cams etc are not aimed at you or me or the majority of TWF regulars.

I think the Minderoo team are making a concerted effort to attract a new viewer to Rugby. And they are aiming at the new and upwardly mobile 16-20somethings.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some interactive app that will come into the @game experience.

The old school rugby fan is going to come and watch the Rugby rain hail and shine. These new fans require a bit more bang for their buck.

I agree with both you and “X”.
    When this all started last year I said the same thing and I won’t tell you the abuse I received on a certain Facebook page for saying my bit. I know as “X” says we are trying to get in the newbies and youngsters and if I/we want to watch rugby in WA we are going to have to get used to it.
    It doesn’t help that we have someone spruiking the game who knows very little about it so doesn’t shut his trap quickly once something starts happening on the field.
    Will something be done about it? I doubt it. Last year we were told that if you didn’t like it get on your bike! I know the person that said that has moved on but I believe he has left a legacy!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash

Thank you. I agree with all you say but they need to strike a balance and I appreciate it cannot be an easy task.
    Yes, bring in the new young crew, bring on the new laws bring on the entertainment.
    The pre-game is brilliant but then the focus has to be on the game, that is what we are all about isn't it.
    When the ball is in play there were times when the off-field stuff overlapped into the game.
    As I said I know it can't be easy, it is a fledgling competition and they will get better.
    I do stand by my comment about getting people to do in-game on-ground comments that know what they are talking about.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I agree with both you and “X”.
    When this all started last year I said the same thing and I won’t tell you the abuse I received on a certain Facebook page for saying my bit. I know as “X” says we are trying to get in the newbies and youngsters and if I/we want to watch rugby in WA we are going to have to get used to it.
    It doesn’t help that we have someone spruiking the game who knows very little about it so doesn’t shut his trap quickly once something starts happening on the field.
    Will something be done about it? I doubt it. Last year we were told that if you didn’t like it get on your bike! I know the person that said that has moved on but I believe he has left a legacy!
    Im not saying or suggesting I like it too

Its hard to only get a semblance of what happens live from the TV coverage.

I think its possible to have all of the entertaining antics but have them used smarter and perhaps the need to be adapted to Rugby. Perhaps the Honey Badger could be an ideal candidate for the onfield interviewer. He certainly attracts a wide audience.

I am very much looking forward to coming to a live Perth match once GRR competition kicks off. My plan is to be there for the first home game of the first season. Just like I did in 2006.

Exile
    Sydney

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Earlier in the Super Rugby Season, one of the NZ teams (Hurricanes I think) had a large group of University aged students all camped down one of the ends of the field.

It became very obvious that the majority of the music, in house commentary etc was all aimed at this group.

They were going off and having a ball.

and it was contagious.

The rest of the crowd got into it as well. As did the team who took every opportunity to acknowledge the young supporter base.

Perhaps they are/were trying to steal a page out of the GRR playbook.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    I think GRR is definitely trying to appeal to a younger demographic and is looking to a new horizon. Us rusted-on rugby fans are a sure thing but there aren’t enough of us to sustain the game in the long term. Rugby has to move with the times and offer a product that appeals to today’s very competitive sporting market.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I think GRR is definitely trying to appeal to a younger demographic and is looking to a new horizon. Us rusted-on rugby fans are a sure thing but there aren’t enough of us to sustain the game in the long term. Rugby has to move with the times and offer a product that appeals to today’s very competitive sporting market.
    I totally agree.
    But some rusty old fans I have spoken with are thinking they might stay at home with a glass of red or a couple of stubbies and watch it on TV.
    GRR are cannot afford to lose them. There has to be a balance.
    Those rusted-on fans are very much the people that will bring their sons/daughters/grandchildren for their GRR experience.
    So there needs to be a balance until we have firmly nailed GRR domination of world rugby.

vCash
    The kiss Cam, bongo cam, robot cam, disco cam, zombie cam and useless dickhead cam were clearly there to demonstrate just how successful they are at keeping annoying little grommets away from the game.....apart from the useless dickhead cam which was extremely successful at showing how one person in the crowd was a complete tosser

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash

But really you should give the "ignore button" a run. It would be the kindest course. I can't read his jibbering anymore but there's enough hidden messages to suggest he's about to implode.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Instead of this 'balance' just chill the hell out and watch the game.

If you are getting too distracted that's kind of your issue that you need to deal with.

We had around 27,000 or so fans for a few games in our first season, what did we have in the last seeason of SR? What do we have now? Clearly the presentation of the product hasn't been up to snuff and the people in WA really don't give as much of a toss as they used to so let's try new stuff. If it worries you enough to stay at home then just bugger off, support in rain, sun or shine.

Good riddance to the old miserable blokes that can't embrace change. They've been around since the dawn of time talking about the 'good old days' and it's a natural evolution of things for them to be weeded out when the product is no longer the rose tinted version of reality they once remembered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Instead of this 'balance' just chill the hell out and watch the game.

If you are getting too distracted that's kind of your issue that you need to deal with.

We had around 27,000 or so fans for a few games in our first season, what did we have in the last seeason of SR? What do we have now? Clearly the presentation of the product hasn't been up to snuff and the people in WA really don't give as much of a toss as they used to so let's try new stuff. If it worries you enough to stay at home then just bugger off, support in rain, sun or shine.

Good riddance to the old miserable blokes that can't embrace change. They've been around since the dawn of time talking about the 'good old days' and it's a natural evolution of things for them to be weeded out when the product is no longer the rose tinted version of reality they once remembered.
    What is pissing me off is that if someone offers an opinion or comments that they don’t like something the reply is “get on ya bike”!
    As you’ve probably noticed but seem incapable of understanding is that we have an opinion, and state it, but that doesn’t stop us from going to the game we love and supporting our team.
    I personally think that while the commentators on Friday night were having a bit of banter with the Badge, while he was on the pitch, was a laugh but what would everyone be saying today if he was distracted and hit with a tackle and ended up in hospital? I know extremely unlikely but!
    Plus I find it distracting I’m male and can only do two things at once! Watch rugby and drink beer. 😂😂

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    It's not my cup of tea. Sure, but I endure it because I see what they're trying to do.

I think it needs some tweaks, like limiting bullshit cams to the breaks in play when they're setting up scrums and line outs, and pulling the pin as soon as times back on.

The longest break was when the tmo was stuffing up the call on the no-try, that would have been an ideal moment for pointless dickhead cam, but instead we got a still graphic

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Forgive me if this is written elsewhere- but anyone know where I can watch the game (or at least the highlights) online?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Kayo
    Maybe GRR official website
    possibly SBS on demand

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Earlier in the Super Rugby Season, one of the NZ teams (Hurricanes I think) had a large group of University aged students all camped down one of the ends of the field.

It became very obvious that the majority of the music, in house commentary etc was all aimed at this group.

They were going off and having a ball.
    That is The Zoo end at Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin. Generally full of Uni students on free/discount tickets. It was also orientation week in round one, thus the big numbers in The Zoo

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast