Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Australian rugby outstripped by rival sports as Super Rugby struggles for visibility

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    I could have sworn I heard an echo
    I’ve been hearing the same old shit for over a year now! One echo I will take.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    If Rugby is struggling for visibility than the A-League is a dead league walking. It's ratings this season have been abysmal. Last weekend the two Aus SR games out rated all of the A-League game combined on Foxsports.
    well it looks like you are correct, a site called tvblackbox has some stats and it doesn't make great reading for foxtel, RU or football.
    only BBL seems to draw the viewers.
    Friday-
    SR chiefs v highlanders 40,000 (#7 fox)
    SR brumbies v rebels 56,000 (#8 fox)
    A/L wellington v melbourne 31,000 (#16 fox)
    7 news 794,000
    gardening australia 579,000

saturday
    SR blues v crusaders 61,000 (#3 fox)
    SR tahs v hurricanes 106,000 (#1 fox)
    A/L perth v brisbane 31,000 (#20 fox)
    7 news 735,000
    death in paradise 658,000
    FFS crocodile dundee 356,000
    SR sunwolves v sharks not listed
    SR bulls v stormers not listed

sunday
    SR jag v lions not listed
    married at first sight 1,291,000

cider my arse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I’ve been hearing the same old shit for over a year now! One echo I will take.
    Cry me a river, you are posting on a Force supporters site where I doubt the narrative will change too much so I suggest finding a new sport to follow if following a team rejected/dumped and in turmoil is not your thing. I suggest putting on those rose tinted glasses you seem to wear so often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cedric rainwater View Post
    well it looks like you are correct, a site called tvblackbox has some stats and it doesn't make great reading for foxtel, RU or football.
    only BBL seems to draw the viewers.
    Friday-
    SR chiefs v highlanders 40,000 (#7 fox)
    SR brumbies v rebels 56,000 (#8 fox)
    A/L wellington v melbourne 31,000 (#16 fox)
    7 news 794,000
    gardening australia 579,000

saturday
    SR blues v crusaders 61,000 (#3 fox)
    SR tahs v hurricanes 106,000 (#1 fox)
    A/L perth v brisbane 31,000 (#20 fox)
    7 news 735,000
    death in paradise 658,000
    FFS crocodile dundee 356,000
    SR sunwolves v sharks not listed
    SR bulls v stormers not listed

sunday
    SR jag v lions not listed
    married at first sight 1,291,000
    How accurate are these stats? I would seriously dispute them. I fail to see how they can set up a few random boxes in a few peoples houses and assume that because the select few who do watch rugby are multiplied by some random number to get these stats that don't even take into account and include live streams eg. FOXTEL NOW, FOXTEL GO AND KAYOSPORTS. I think TV ratings are the biggest load of shit and would reject those stats in a heartbeat. I would love to know the demographic of ppl with these rating boxes. I'm not defending Rugbys fall into irrelevance, I'm just saying these ratings in no way reflect the people who are actually watching these shows. Unless someone knows something I don't.

Has anyone ever met anyone with these rating boxes in their house?

Player
    vCash
    How accurate are these stats? I would seriously dispute them. I fail to see how they can set up a few random boxes in a few peoples houses and assume that because the select few who do watch rugby are multiplied by some random number to get these stats that don't even take into account and include live streams eg. FOXTEL NOW, FOXTEL GO AND KAYOSPORTS. I think TV ratings are the biggest load of shit and would reject those stats in a heartbeat. I would love to know the demographic of ppl with these rating boxes. I'm not defending Rugbys fall into irrelevance, I'm just saying these ratings in no way reflect the people who are actually watching these shows. Unless someone knows something I don't.

They're accurate. Just because they don't fit with your narrative doesn't make them any less so.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They're accurate. Just because they don't fit with your narrative doesn't make them any less so.
    How are they accurate? a pool of thousands of people have a box that records what they watch. I never have met anyone who watches black and white TV on the regular day to day TV channels yet it rates incredibly high, I also don't know how they can measure digital streams when they dont have access to any of Foxtels data for their various streaming services eg. GO, NOW and KAYOSPORTS. Yet they throw together an estimate based on the data they get from people who already have foxtel boxes and OzTam enabled TV boxes to record the data. It all seems rather sus to me, sorry for being a sceptic but if I was an advertiser I wouldn't be relying on the Television Ratings to determine where to put my ads.

Player
    vCash
    How are they accurate? a pool of thousands of people have a box that records what they watch. I never have met anyone who watches black and white TV on the regular day to day TV channels yet it rates incredibly high, I also don't know how they can measure digital streams when they dont have access to any of Foxtels data for their various streaming services eg. GO, NOW and KAYOSPORTS. Yet they throw together an estimate based on the data they get from people who already have foxtel boxes and OzTam enabled TV boxes to record the data. It all seems rather sus to me, sorry for being a sceptic but if I was an advertiser I wouldn't be relying on the Television Ratings to determine where to put my ads.
    These ratings are from the official agencies that TV networks and advertisers across the board use. The same sources that detailed the ratings for the FTA Force games last season. They are only suss because they contradict your position. I suspect you'd have no issue with them if the A-League and SR figures were flipped. But they aren't. Tough.

Player
    vCash
    How would you make those decisions then? Gut feel. Word on the street. Please, elaborate.

vCash

they seem to be accurate.
    a little research shows the data is provided by Oztam, who took over from neilson about 20 years ago, and are the accepted industry data providers.
    they say they monitor 5250 homes for FTA and 2120 homes for STV and, from 2016, included internet delivered content.
    i suppose there is some kind of multiplication factor to get national figures, but that would be the same for all figures.
    the foxtel figures are very low, i wonder how the subscriptions are going?

cider my arse

Player
    vCash
    Oh, and by the way. Highlanders/Reds - 46k (at 5pm on a Friday) Tahs/Sunwolves - 65k (3pm on a Saturday) and Brumbies/Chiefs - 77k. For the A-League the Melbourne derby delivered season high ratings of 55k, Central Coast/Brisbane - 29k, Wellington/Sydney - 18k so far. Two games to come today.

Player
    vCash
    a little research shows the data is provided by Oztam, who took over from neilson about 20 years ago, and are the accepted industry data providers.
    they say they monitor 5250 homes for FTA and 2120 homes for STV and, from 2016, included internet delivered content.
    i suppose there is some kind of multiplication factor to get national figures, but that would be the same for all figures.
    There is a calculation involved. Similar to the one they use for polling which is a thoroughly researched and recognised science. Data Science. But that probably won't be good enough for Spartan. Who strikes me as someone who runs around with their hands over their ears screaming 'FAKE NEWS, FAKE NEWS' whenever presented with facts he doesn't like.

Player
    vCash
    Well, here's a sign. Foxtel are trying to use the lack of the word Melbourne in the incoming A-League expansion team based in Western Melbourne (who are calling themselves Western United) as an out as not to pay the extra $5m a season that it is contractually obliged to.

vCash
    Sounds typically Murdoch-esque

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    How are they accurate? a pool of thousands of people have a box that records what they watch.
    The data from the boxes, when extrapolated for the full population, is not 100% spot on, obviously. But it's still fairly accurate (to within a certain percentage) for what it measures.

What is measures is programs being watched within the range of the location of the boxes.

But perhaps I should have said programs being listened to. As I understand, from what I've told, it monitors the audio within the range of the box.

Therefore, unless the info I've been given is wrong, it can pick up what is being played in the room on a TV. If the program is being streamed in that room, and there is audio detectable, then the box can still pick that up.

However ...

The boxes aren't going to pick up (and actually get a sample measure of) stuff that's outside those parameters.

I also don't know how they can measure digital streams when they dont have access to any of Foxtels data for their various streaming services eg. GO, NOW and KAYOSPORTS.
    Yep.

Streams that go to people watching on mobile devices have to be accounted for in a different way.

And they can do that ... but not via a box near the TV set.

sorry for being a sceptic but if I was an advertiser I wouldn't be relying on the Television Ratings to determine where to put my ads.
    Well, yeah. It's only one part of the "picture".

Last edited by Kiap; 24-02-19 at 10:31.

vCash
    Well, here's a sign. Foxtel are trying to use the lack of the word Melbourne in the incoming A-League expansion team based in Western Melbourne (who are calling themselves Western United) as an out as not to pay the extra $5m a season that it is contractually obliged to.
    People wanted them to be called West Melbourne the problem is West Melbourne is a inner city suburb and the new club is out in the sticks with little existing infrastructure.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast