Thread: Michael O'Connor, the final piece of the puzzle in Cheika and Clynes Wallabies

vCash

Michael O'Connor, the final piece of the puzzle in Cheika and Clynes Wallabies

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...d8f8aba64a48ab

I cant see this being an improvement of this completly bewildering Wallabies coaching line up. Looks like another scapegoat has been added to outrageous Wallaby coaching setup. Super Wallaby coaching team I think not.

Rugby Australia expected to announce former dual international and selector Michael O’Connor ahead of World Cup

WALLABIES
    Christy Doran
    February 19, 2019 7:16am
    CHRISTY DORAN@christypdoran
    Source: FOX SPORTS

EXCLUSIVE — The long awaited search for the final member of the Wallabies’ selection committee is seemingly over, with Rugby Australia expected to appoint Michael O’Connor to the role.
    Foxsports.com.au understands that O’Connor, who previously spent two years as a selector between 2006-07, will be announced as Rugby Australia’s independent selector in the coming days.

While the former dual international wouldn’t confirm his appointment on Monday, he said he was interested in the role.

“I’d be interested,” O’Connor told foxsports.com.au.

“I’d be mad not to. I’ve got the time to do it. It’s a role that you need to have time and watch a lot of rugby, so I’m in a position where I could do it — there’s no problem there.”

But sources have since confirmed his appointment, which was settled on Monday at Rugby Australia’s monthly board meeting.

O’Connor will join incoming director of rugby, Scott Johnson, in assisting national coach Michael Cheika in picking the Wallabies in 2019, as Australia readies itself for the World Cup.

Every game of the 2019 Vodafone Super Rugby LIVE with no ad-breaks during play. SIGN UP NOW!

Former Australian coach John Connolly centre, talks with then ceo, John O'Neill, and selector Michael O'Connor left ahead of their World Cup pool match against Fiji, 2007.
    Former Australian coach John Connolly centre, talks with then ceo, John O'Neill, and selector Michael O'Connor left ahead of their World Cup pool match against Fiji, 2007.Source: News Limited

Both the independent selector and director of rugby roles were created in December, after Rugby Australia undertook an extensive review of the national team following the nation’s worst year since 1958.

Cheika’s men won just four of 13 Tests in 2018, which saw the Wallabies plummet down the World Rugby rankings to a historic low of seventh, before settling on sixth spot by year’s end.

The dramatic slide was made worse by three heavy defeats to the All Blacks, the country’s first defeat to Argentina in 35 years and to Wales in a decade, as well as a record sixth straight defeat to England since smashing them at the World Cup in 2015.

While Cheika survived the axe, his clout was reduced by the announcement that Johnson would finish in his role of director of Scottish rugby following the Six Nations in March and oversee every aspect of Australian rugby’s high performance, as well as the notice that an independent selector would also be added.

MORE RUGBY NEWS

NOT WELCOME: ‘Going to ask for a DNA test’

‘DON’T KILL HIM’: Fox journo trains with Waratahs ... and gets absolutely smashed

COOPER’S SUPER RETURN: ‘Most commanding fly-half performance in three years’

Scott Johnson will finish up as Scotland’s director of rugby in March and take up the same role with Rugby Australia.
    Scott Johnson will finish up as Scotland’s director of rugby in March and take up the same role with Rugby Australia.Source: AFP
    Calls for an independent selector had become deafening throughout 2018, with former Wallabies captain Andrew Slack a strong advocate for the role.

“Everything in selection and the way you play the game you’ve got to have a balance,” Slack told foxsports.com.au in November.

“There’s times when you take ludicrous risks because you’re up against all that, so you’ve got to take risks.

“But by and large, I think the go to thing is to be balanced in your selection and decision making and I’ve said this for a long time about Cheika — and prior to that — the monopoly he has on selection is ridiculous, and they need an independent selector.

“It’s been talked about — nothing’s ever been done about it.”

O’Connor, a famous Wallabies centre who played 12 Tests before switching codes and became one of the greats of the game, returns to the role more than a decade after his last stint as a national selector.

Ironically, the independent selector role he previously held occurred when John Connolly was the Wallabies coach and Johnson was his attack assistant.

Following his stint as a selector, O’Connor spent seven years as Australia’s Sevens coach.

He has also spent the best part of two decades as a talent identification manager.

Rugby Australia chairman Cameron Clyne and ceo Raelene Castle ahead of their coaching structural changes on December 17, 2018.
    Rugby Australia chairman Cameron Clyne and ceo Raelene Castle ahead of their coaching structural changes on December 17, 2018.Source: AAP
    While O’Connor was positive about the influence that an independent selector could have, he said the buck ultimately stopped with the coach.

“I’m a great believer in the more eyes the better, but ultimately I believe that the coach has to have the team he wants,” O’Connor said.

“But I know as a coach, I could be influenced by other people’s opinions and it was always good to have that discussion with my staff about players.

“I think the more information the better and ultimately you’re responsible for the team if you’re the coach, you can take on the information or not. But it’s always good to have the discussion and play devil’s advocate about players and challenge the coach.

“I love being challenged on selection and why, and then I found that I had more clarity when I had the discussion if you were in 50/50 selection. I

“’m a great believer in it, but not all coaches are.”

Quade eyeing Reds dateQuade eyeing Reds date4:47
    Meanwhile, O’Connor said it was imperative that the Wallabies perform at this year’s World Cup for the health of the game in Australia. He was, however, heartened by the strong turnout at Brookvale Oval on Saturday, where a sold out crowd of 17,111 fans watched the Waratahs’ first match of the Super Rugby season against the Hurricanes.

“I think it’s very important, with the game at the moment and I’ve read the ratings, because we haven’t had a lot of success the last few years in Super Rugby and also the Wallabies, it’s at real cross roads at the moment,” said O’Connor, of rugby in Australia.

“I watched that game at Brookvale Oval the other night and it was really heart-warming to see those crowds and there’s a lot of supporters. Rugby has this base and they’re rusted on. Things couldn’t get any worse and then you have a sell out at Brookvale. That tells me there’s a lot of upside, if a side starts to go well and there’s no expectation, I don’t think.

“Everybody that I talk to doesn’t think we’re any chance in the World Cup.

“Well that’s a good thing and we should be continuing to tell everybody that too rather than beating our chests and talking ourselves up. You can do that in the quiet of the dressing room, but I’d rather have an underdog attitude going into these games rather than putting ourselves under enormous pressure and saying that we’re going to go through a Spring Tour undefeated or win the World Cup, I just don’t think that’s smart.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    “Everybody that I talk to doesn’t think we’re any chance in the World Cup.
    That's because you play like shit, select shit players and use an even shitter game plan. Then we now have 3 alpha males trying to pull the strings and an administration who have trashed the sport. It's not like we have been given anything to admire or have hope for this team, all this team have done is confirm what we all thought, that it's been taken over by a bunch of immature players who act like they are still in school, a coach who cant keep his shit together and mouths off in the coaching box that the referees are "fucking cheats" , not to mention 4 wins and 9 losses last year for a 4/13 result. And so yeah you are underdogs, when you have given the fans nothing for 3 years then expect to be written off, I doubt I would want to be in that position though, I would much rather my fans have some confidence in the team which will spur television audiences and ofcourse sponsorship than try and spin this and play the underdog card.. pathetic.

vCash
    So, judging by this quote from O’Connor, it’s all just window dressing and Cheika will have the final say no matter how many “independents” may advise him?

“I’m a great believer in the more eyes the better, but ultimately I believe that the coach has to have the team he wants,” O’Connor said.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    You could not make this stuff up!! I wish we had some Force news to talk about so I could stop getting so irritated with the people running sorry ruining rugby in oz!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash

vCash
    O’Connor must be missing the junkets and catering.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    O’Connor must be missing the junkets and catering.
    Well he’s sure as hell found nirvana now!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I still remember Raelenes junket listening tour to WA, it ended up achieving exactly what we all suspected. The silence from RugbyAustralia after that tour was embarrassing to say the least..

vCash
    Mick O'Connor is one of the best ever outside backs I have seen. And right up there with most successful dual internationals of all time like Brad Thorne, Ray Price, Johnathan Davies, Rex Mossop etc. I think he'll add to the selection process and I reckon even a blinkered individual like Ckeika will value his input. Alan Jones is being a bit of a tosser on this issue. Schnozz is not part of the coaching set-up. Or fuck-up - take your pick.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    I still remember Raelenes junket listening tour to WA, it ended up achieving exactly what we all suspected. The silence from RugbyAustralia after that tour was embarrassing to say the least..
    It was all about finding the details.