Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: World Rugby shakeup: Wallabies face 'decimation', as Steve Tew arrives in Los Angeles

vCash
    The Celtic unions should be telling the likes of the RA to f..k off and get your house in order as we aren’t flush with cash ourselves. It was quiet telling that the RA lost the Women’s RWC hosting rights bid due to the southern unions voting for NZ majority of the RA’s votes came from Europe so maybe they aren’t aware of how bad things actually are in Aus Rugby governance wise.

I hope the English and French put a stop to this as I just can’t see the appetite for this and it is a lot of revenue to give away by not hosting three AIs. The IRFU budgeted for a loss last year but only made a profit due to the Grand Slam. Test match tickets are sold by grassroots clubs who use it as a key fundraiser. I would like to be a fly on the wall when the IRFU tell them that they have given away revenue to the likes of SARU, UAR and the RA who have got little to offer in return.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The World League is now the Nations Championship? So does that mean Global Rapid Rugby can be World Series Rugby again?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    I like the idea and so would rats arse. Keep with me, because it might be a bit of a long bow.

The "nations championship" will add an extra test a year for New Zealand because, who are we kidding? They will beat South Africa 9 times out of 10 and that's all that counts in TRC.

Australia are right on the verge of getting an extra test a year because of the relegation clause though. Argentina only need to find 10% to make Australia their bitch and that shouldn't take long with ledesma in the drivers seat.

I love it, because they'll be playing (most likely) a pi side for relegation, but there will obviously a regular series for all the Tier two teams, so they'll be sharper than ever before.

I wonder how Fiji will fare when they enter TRC?

C'mon the

vCash
    I have to admit, I'm not overly bothered by having another exhibition series this year. But what is bothering me at the moment is that we've only got 5 games for the price of the season tickets. I really hope the Force are getting on the blower and trying to find some more teams from overseas to come and play us. Maybe we could look at the New Zealand Heartland XV on the Friday before the Perthisloe? Or maybe?

Or how about a warm-up match for some of the Tier 2 Nations who have already qualified for the Rugby World Cup? If we can't get one of the Springbok age-teams or A & B XVs; how about bringing over Namibia for the SA expats? Or how about names that will look good when marketing? How does Force v the USA or Force vs Russia sound?

Slightly left-field, but Brazil did okay against the Maori last year, what about them? Get some samba going for Force vs Brazil; getting the Force boys out to ScarbPaolo for a bit of promotion?

Speaking of local communities, I wonder if Italy could be a goer? Maybe some more games could be scheduled down here before the world cup for European teams making the trip to Japan?
    Shit, we might pick up a win against France

Just brainstorming really.

Maybe they should market it as "World Series Rugby is BACK!!!"

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 31-01-19 at 23:40.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I have to admit, I'm not overly bothered by having another exhibition series this year. But what is bothering me at the moment is that we've only got 5 games for the price of the season tickets. I really hope the Force are getting on the blower and trying to find some more teams from overseas to come and play us. Maybe we could look at the New Zealand Heartland XV on the Friday before the Perthisloe? Or maybe?

Or how about a warm-up match for some of the Tier 2 Nations who have already qualified for the Rugby World Cup? If we can't get one of the Springbok age-teams or A & B XVs; how about bringing over Namibia for the SA expats? Or how about names that will look good when marketing? How does Force v the USA or Force vs Russia sound?

Slightly left-field, but Brazil did okay against the Maori last year, what about them? Get some samba going for Force vs Brazil; getting the Force boys out to ScarbPaolo for a bit of promotion?

Speaking of local communities, I wonder if Italy could be a goer? Maybe some more games could be scheduled down here before the world cup for European teams making the trip to Japan?
    Shit, we might pick up a win against France

Just brainstorming really.

Maybe they should market it as "World Series Rugby is BACK!!!"
    Or may, just maybe, you could post this in the correct thread.

But seriously all good points. It's a shame about the membership costs, I personally don't buy memberships anymore as I honestly don't see any value in them, but that is a personal opinion. I would be gutted to be paying a membership for what will be a bunch of preseason exhibition trial matches, and only 5 matches it seems.

I honestly think it would be a perfect opportunity to give tier 2 sides some warmup games on the way through to the Rugby World Cup, the Force could do with some more games, especially this year where it looks like even less game than last year will be played in Perth. These teams could also be future potential expansion areas earmarked for the future.

vCash
    Relegation out the window.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...e-plans-emerge

Six Nations boss rules out relegation after proposed global league plans emerge

14:05, Feb 01 2019

The team captains for the Six Nations pose at the championship's launch this week.
    AP
    The team captains for the Six Nations pose at the championship's launch this week.
    The new chief executive of the Six Nations has categorically ruled out the possibility of relegation being added to the championship after revelations of World Rugby's proposed plan for an annual global league emerged this week.

Benjamin Morel became Six Nations boss in October after 20 years of working to grow the the NBA in Europe and he was in Los Angeles this week to hear World Rugby's draft plans for a radical shake-up of the international schedule.

A report in London's The Times newspaper on Wednesday laid out the proposal for the 12-nation competition, in which test nations would play for points during the existing northern and southern hemisphere competitions the Six Nations and Rugby Championship, before meeting for a two-week finals play-off in Europe in November.

Ireland celebrate winning last year's Six Nations.
    GETTY IMAGES
    Ireland celebrate winning last year's Six Nations.
    The final would be played at a neutral venue, The Times reported, with a World Rugby document nominating Wembley and Camp Nou, the home of FC Barcelona, plus Berlin's Olympic Stadium.

READ MORE:
    * Praise can make Irish 'weak'
    * Schmidt hits back at Mitchell
    * Global champs 'undermine' RWC
    * Clubs could challenge proposal
    * Huge shake-up for world rugby

However, Morel is firmly against altering the Six Nations' format, which could be a blow to World Rugby's plans, and said he wants to protect the world's oldest international rugby tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with Stuff

"There will be no relegation mechanism," Morel told The Times. "It is not on the agenda. It is clear that any adaptations [to the global calendar] will need to be a substantial improvement on the current set-up, which is successful, as the latest autumn series can attest.

"It would also need to fully consider player welfare aspects and not dilute key existing competitions. I want to make sure the Six Nations is as competitive off the pitch as it is on the pitch.

"There is always a temptation for any sport to build future value on volume. Rugby needs to be cautious of preserving player welfare, the calendar, simple storylines. I would be a guardian of that as much as I can be."

World Rugby's proposal is seeking to boost the commercial and broadcasting value of test rugby but Morel said he will strongly advocate for the Six Nations to remain on free-to-air coverage.

"It makes it valuable for the Six Nations to have [free-to-air] partners like BBC and ITV," he told The Times. "It makes it quite unique that we have scarcity, appointment to watch and free-to-air coverage."

The proposal put forward would mean a huge chance the global rugby calendar, not to mention the test pecking order, offering nations such as Fiji, Japan and the USA their first genuine chance to climb into the realm of tier one nations with more regular test match-ups.

The Six Nations, England, Ireland, Italy, France, Scotland and Wales, would remain as it is in its February-March window.

The current June test window - which will move to July in 2020 - will change so that the traditional three-test tours would be replaced with one test each in three different countries

vCash
    Let me do the maths.

Rugby is struggling for money worldwide

The only competitions that are making any real coin in the International space is RWC, 6N and TRC.

The solution to the problem of funding every other national team to the point where they can improve and possibly compete is to generate ANOTHER competition containing the same 10 teams that are raking in all the money, schedule it to give less opportunity for the second tier to play anybody other than each other and refuse to allow them access to the competition even though one of these rich teams isn't in the top 10, and one other is on a slide so massive that they will be out before the World Cup as well.

I wonder if they're getting their governance advice from Australia?

C'mon the

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2