Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheika backs Latu in against Wales, Kerevi, Coleman and Dempsey to start

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Cheika backs Latu in against Wales, Kerevi, Coleman and Dempsey to start

Today at 12:19 AM International
    by Beth Newman

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has put his full faith in Tolu Latu, handing the rake his first Test start since 2016 for Australia's clash with Wales.

Latu has had just one other Test start, against France on the 2016 Spring Tour, but Cheika has backed in the Waratahs rake to lead the way in Cardiff, even with the return of Tatafu Polota-Nau to the fold.

The 25-year-old has had game-changing impacts in his recent Test inclusions but has also put the team a man down twice in the past two Tests from avoidable incidents.

Tatafu Polota-Nau will come off the bench in his first Test since Australia's loss to Argentina on the Gold Coast, with Folau Fainga'a sitting out the Wales game after starting the past four Wallabies games.

"I just think it’s an opportunity to let him (Fainga'a) take...a bit of a rebuilding week for him, give an opportunity to Tolu, who’s had his ups and downs over the last few weeks but I’m a big believer in Tolu and giving him a chance at starting, which he hasn’t had this year I don’t think.

"Also with Polota-Nau coming back gives us a different sort of look."

Comeback duo Jack Dempsey and Samu Kerevi showed enough against the All Blacks to earn starts in Cardiff.

Kerevi will start at 13 for the Test, shifting Israel Folau back to the wing after his outside centre stint in Japan.
    Marika Koroibete has been dropped from the 23 altogether with the backline reshuffle, with Cheika preferring Sefa Naivalu and Jack Maddocks as wing options.

Cheika said Dempsey's thirst to play showed in his cameo against the All Blacks in Japan, a Test return that came close to a year

"Dempsey was quite abrasive when he came on in the last game," he said.

"He didn’t play a lot of time but it’s a good opportunity for him now, with three big games left in the year to have a starting role and re-acquaint himself with Test footy.

"Didn’t quite think he’d be playing in the last game but he showed, when he came to training, he was up for it.

"He was showing good form at training which is all I’ve really seen him in, those couple of weeks, and I thought it was worthwhile giving him an opportunity last week and I think he showed that he’s ready to take another step forward."

Adam Coleman has slotted straight back into the starting team, recovered from a groin injury that forced him out of the third Bledisloe, teaming up with Izack Rodda for the clash.

Cheika said Coleman had fully shaken off that issue but his next step would be ensuring he stays ahead of the logjam of second rowers around the team now.

"Simmons had a really good game last week I think and the challengers are coming," he said.

"Adam’s done really well for us since he’s come into the team really form a couple of years ago off not a lot of Super Rugby history.

"He started working his way into the team, he’s become a mainstay inside of the team and now I think that’s setting around for other players in that position to lift their game to try to challenge those two players who have a locking position."

England-based back Matt To'omua comes onto the pine for the Wales clash, which is the first in the international window, with Jack Maddocks the final change on the bench, replacing Tom Banks.

Adam Ashley-Cooper has missed out on a Test return after rejoining the squad for the first time since 2016.

The Wallabies will wear poppies on their sleeves in the Test to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day and Rugby Australia will lay a wreath at Villers-Bretonneaux.

Wales named their team on Thursday as well, with Gareth Anscombe keeping the reins at 10.

Australia takes on Wales in Cardiff on Saturday November 10, kicking off at 5:20pm local, Sunday 4:20am AEDT, LIVE on beIN Sport channel 513 and SBS.

TEAM
    IN: Jack Maddocks, Adam Coleman, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt To'omua
    OUT: Marika Koroibete, Folau Fainga'a, Tom Banks, Rory Arnold

Wallabies to face Wales
    1. Scott Sio (52 Tests)
    2. Tolu Latu (10 Tests)
    3. Allan Alaalatoa (30 Tests)
    4. Izack Rodda (14 Tests)
    5. Adam Coleman (28 Tests)
    6. Jack Dempsey (7 Tests)
    7. Michael Hooper (c) (88 Tests)
    8. David Pocock (75 Tests)
    9. Will Genia (97 Tests)
    10. Bernard Foley (65 Tests)
    11. Sefa Naivalu (8 Tests)
    12. Kurtley Beale (81 Tests)
    13. Samu Kerevi (22 Tests)
    14. Israel Folau (70 Tests)
    15. Dane Haylett-Petty (28 Tests)

Reserves
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (86 Tests)
    17. Sekope Kepu (100 Tests)
    18. Taniela Tupou (9 Tests)
    19. Rob Simmons (91 Tests)
    20. Ned Hanigan (18 Tests)
    21. Nick Phipps (70 Tests)
    22. Matt To'omua (39 Tests)
    23. Jack Maddocks (5 Tests)

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/11...m-announcement

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    They will be singing in the valleys boyo!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Today at 12:19 AM International
    by Beth Newman

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has put his full faith in Tolu Latu, handing the rake his first Test start since 2016 for Australia's clash with Wales.

Latu has had just one other Test start, against France on the 2016 Spring Tour, but Cheika has backed in the Waratahs rake to lead the way in Cardiff, even with the return of Tatafu Polota-Nau to the fold.

The 25-year-old has had game-changing impacts in his recent Test inclusions but has also put the team a man down twice in the past two Tests from avoidable incidents.

Tatafu Polota-Nau will come off the bench in his first Test since Australia's loss to Argentina on the Gold Coast, with Folau Fainga'a sitting out the Wales game after starting the past four Wallabies games.

"I just think it’s an opportunity to let him (Fainga'a) take...a bit of a rebuilding week for him, give an opportunity to Tolu, who’s had his ups and downs over the last few weeks but I’m a big believer in Tolu and giving him a chance at starting, which he hasn’t had this year I don’t think.

"Also with Polota-Nau coming back gives us a different sort of look."

Comeback duo Jack Dempsey and Samu Kerevi showed enough against the All Blacks to earn starts in Cardiff.

Kerevi will start at 13 for the Test, shifting Israel Folau back to the wing after his outside centre stint in Japan.
    Marika Koroibete has been dropped from the 23 altogether with the backline reshuffle, with Cheika preferring Sefa Naivalu and Jack Maddocks as wing options.

Cheika said Dempsey's thirst to play showed in his cameo against the All Blacks in Japan, a Test return that came close to a year

"Dempsey was quite abrasive when he came on in the last game," he said.

"He didn’t play a lot of time but it’s a good opportunity for him now, with three big games left in the year to have a starting role and re-acquaint himself with Test footy.

"Didn’t quite think he’d be playing in the last game but he showed, when he came to training, he was up for it.

"He was showing good form at training which is all I’ve really seen him in, those couple of weeks, and I thought it was worthwhile giving him an opportunity last week and I think he showed that he’s ready to take another step forward."

Adam Coleman has slotted straight back into the starting team, recovered from a groin injury that forced him out of the third Bledisloe, teaming up with Izack Rodda for the clash.

Cheika said Coleman had fully shaken off that issue but his next step would be ensuring he stays ahead of the logjam of second rowers around the team now.

"Simmons had a really good game last week I think and the challengers are coming," he said.

"Adam’s done really well for us since he’s come into the team really form a couple of years ago off not a lot of Super Rugby history.

"He started working his way into the team, he’s become a mainstay inside of the team and now I think that’s setting around for other players in that position to lift their game to try to challenge those two players who have a locking position."

England-based back Matt To'omua comes onto the pine for the Wales clash, which is the first in the international window, with Jack Maddocks the final change on the bench, replacing Tom Banks.

Adam Ashley-Cooper has missed out on a Test return after rejoining the squad for the first time since 2016.

The Wallabies will wear poppies on their sleeves in the Test to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day and Rugby Australia will lay a wreath at Villers-Bretonneaux.

Wales named their team on Thursday as well, with Gareth Anscombe keeping the reins at 10.

Australia takes on Wales in Cardiff on Saturday November 10, kicking off at 5:20pm local, Sunday 4:20am AEDT, LIVE on beIN Sport channel 513 and SBS.

TEAM
    IN: Jack Maddocks, Adam Coleman, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt To'omua
    OUT: Marika Koroibete, Folau Fainga'a, Tom Banks, Rory Arnold

Wallabies to face Wales
    1. Scott Sio (52 Tests)
    2. Tolu Latu (10 Tests)
    3. Allan Alaalatoa (30 Tests)
    4. Izack Rodda (14 Tests)
    5. Adam Coleman (28 Tests)
    6. Jack Dempsey (7 Tests)
    7. Michael Hooper (c) (88 Tests)
    8. David Pocock (75 Tests)
    9. Will Genia (97 Tests)
    10. Bernard Foley (65 Tests)
    11. Sefa Naivalu (8 Tests)
    12. Kurtley Beale (81 Tests)
    13. Samu Kerevi (22 Tests)
    14. Israel Folau (70 Tests)
    15. Dane Haylett-Petty (28 Tests)

Reserves
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (86 Tests)
    17. Sekope Kepu (100 Tests)
    18. Taniela Tupou (9 Tests)
    19. Rob Simmons (91 Tests)
    20. Ned Hanigan (18 Tests)
    21. Nick Phipps (70 Tests)
    22. Matt To'omua (39 Tests)
    23. Jack Maddocks (5 Tests)

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/11...m-announcement
    It's funny how all the coaches are starting to realise that Folau's best position is on the wing, he ain't a full backs a**hole to be honest, this is the very position Robbie Dean's had Folau playing in and that was during a period when Folau played his best rugby. Robbie Dean's tenure looked far more accomplished than Cheika's reign of being knocked down the rankings to tier 2 levels.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Wallabies suffer first loss to Wales since 2008
    Today at 5:08 AM International
    by Beth Newman

The Wallabies have lost to Wales for the first time since 2008 in a grinding 9-6 defeat in Cardiff.

It was the single-figure margin that spectators have come to expect from these two sides but for the first time in 14 matches it was the Dragons going home with the victory.

After an intensely tight, arm-wrestle of a game, the Wallabies turned down several kickable penalties to push for tries in the second half but eventually levelled scores at 6-all with six minutes on the clock courtesy of a Matt To'omua penalty.

But two mistakes from the kickoff saw Wales get the ball back and win a penalty in front of the sticks, with Ned Hanigan pinged for not rolling away.

Dan Biggar stepped up and nailed the penalty to take the match-winning lead.

The defeat was the Wallabies' eighth of an already demoralising year, and for Wales, victory served as a major psychological breakthrough given the two teams are in the same pool at the Rugby World Cup next year.

The Wallabies have now posted losses to all four home nations, including Ireland twice, in the past 12 months.

When they had the ball, the Wallabies struggled to make major gains and when they broke the line, they were often unravelled by a knock-on or the Welsh defence.

Often aimless tactical kicking didn't help Australia much either, giving Wales the opportunity to run back at them or win the territory battle via the boot.

Wales were guilty of their own mistakes as well, in another edition of tight Cardiff affairs between the two nations.

A rapid fire start It nearly paid off for the Wallabies in the fourth minute but Samu Kerevi was forced into a knock-on just shy of the line.

It wasn’t all just running rugby - flyhalf Bernard Foley put up a high bomb in one attacking push, with the target clearly Israel Folau bu the winger couldn’t get near it.

Wales tried their own tricky kick, a grubber through to Josh Adams but their speedster couldn’t collect it before it made touch.

Scrums quickly became an issue for the Wallabies, losing two in a row and Halfpenny made them pay despite an uncharacteristically patchy night from he Welsh kicker.

A 16-phase attacking push from the Wallabies ended with a cold knock-on from lock Adam Coleman and another scrum penalty undid the side’s patience.

Bernard Foley finally drew blood for the Aussies with a 33rd-minute penalty after two Welsh defenders were caught offside and the 3-3 score remained until half-time.

It was Wales with all the attacking ball early in the second, led by an electric Halfpenny, and though the Wallabies’ defence managed to hold them out,

Wallabies captain Michael Hooper made it clear he backed his side to score a try in the second half, opting twice for a lineout over kickable three-pointers.

The first chance was snuffed out by a Wallabies knock-on and on the second an overthrow opened the door for Wales to pounce in attack.

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika injected front rowers Taniela Tupou and Tatafu Polota-Nau in the 55th minute and it paid immediate dividends with the Wallabies pushing Wales backwards in their first scrum of the afternoon.

When Wales had a chance for three, Alun Wyn Jones took no time in pointing to the sticks when hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau was pinged at the breakdown.

Halfpenny took no time vindicating his skipper’s choice to give Wales the lead with 12 minutes left.

When Kurtley Beale spilled a high ball in the 73rd minute, the Welsh crowd could almost taste a match-winning try but the Wallabies cleaned up their own mess.

A Samu Kerevi hit on Halfpenny ignited the crowd again, with the Wallabies centre attempting a charge down on the fullback’s kick before appearing to collect him high.

It was the Wallabies who soon won a penalty, kicked by To'omua, but they returned the favour two minutes later with Dan Biggar slotting the match-winner.

The Wallabies head to Italy on Monday morning (AEDT) ahead of their second November Test.

RESULT
    Wales 9
    Pens: Halfpenny 2, Biggar
    Australia 6
    Pens: Foley, Toomua

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/11...allabies-match

vCash
    So I guess Raelene's "pas mark" of three wins is out the window, so I assume the tour although only one match in is a "fail".

I wonder how that will be rewarded?

England unlucky against ABs and will smash Wallabies to pieces in two weeks. They might have a slim chance against Italy, depending on who Chieka selects.

Veteran
    vCash
    urrghh - some bad decision making in the game. 3 all, penalty in front of the posts, kick to the corner!? WTF?

It was the sort of game where no one was gaining ascendancy, and you go to the corner. i reckon that cost the game!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    So I guess Raelene's "pas mark" of three wins is out the window, so I assume the tour although only one match in is a "fail". I wonder how that will be rewarded?
    The goal posts will be shifted

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    In under 11s . The coach ( whose speciality was tennis ) would blow his whistle loudly and make both teams stop dead if somebody ran sideways and point out how it affected the defenders and attackers . It was clear even then that it was NOT good ..... mmmm . Next skills training.... Passing and catching..if the ball was dropped then the entire line ( 4 ) had to sprint to the posts and back before rejoining..... mmmm . Then basics ... nobody was allowed to kick the ball at anytime in general play during practice matches .... mmmm . Good luck against England !

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by bootsetal06; 11-11-18 at 10:26.

vCash
    Without a doubt “ a work in progress” going backwards! 13 games on the trot blown by some stupid decisions and bloody pathetic play! Beale’s impersonation of a crab time and time again is a total joke and then after that doesn’t work it’s back to kicking possession away! WTF? why is he still there?
    Where are all the NEW players to take over from this bunch of has beens? Oh that’s right they go and play overseas as there’s no chance of making the Wallabies until most of this lot start drawing their pensions!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    End of GRR season next year should be the GRR All-Star XV vs the Wallabies.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Rats arse would never allow it. At the moment, they'd think twice about force vs wallabies, need to keep the record from blowing out.

They might accept a match against Namibia under 15s

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Without a doubt “ a work in progress” going backwards! 13 games on the trot blown by some stupid decisions and bloody pathetic play! Beale’s impersonation of a crab time and time again is a total joke and then after that doesn’t work it’s back to kicking possession away! WTF? why is he still there?
    Where are all the NEW players to take over from this bunch of has beens? Oh that’s right they go and play overseas as there’s no chance of making the Wallabies until most of this lot start drawing their pensions!
    Beale is there due to his mate Cheika.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    In other news Scotland beat Fiji

vCash
    All is fine, Cheeks will bring in AAC and everything will be okay .... juts can't replace Fallou cos of his deity, I mean contract.
    Italy will be an enjoyable trip as most trips there are, but we're really all looking forward to the Twickenham encounter ...

"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

vCash
    The joke is they will probably pluck the roses and all will be well. Just like second half of Salta

If only they take their eye off the ball against Italy, and get out psyched by Eddy and walloped by the poms. Surely then the corporates and QRU/NSWRU word have to take action

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast