Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    What I mean though, is even if they decided they wanted it, I can't really see any value in it for WA. Would a Cott or Perth really want to try going professional? Would the attempt really be in the interests of rugby in WA? That for mine is other people's delusions, with no real upside here. We need a professional state team, ideally closely linked to the state amateur competition, but if that doesn't fit into the rest of Australia's structure there is at least GRR. And the playing field seems to be clearing for that to be almost anything.

As an aside however, the whole 'build it first, then we'll expand' is a crock. We've seen just how well that has worked with SR! The reality is that once something is built, it establishes the level. Adding another can then only come at their expense, because you will never have just casually accumulated another whole teams worth of players at that level all hanging around at lower level with nothing to do. It is a massive catch-up exercise, inevitably costing massive amounts of money and patience, neither of which are in much supply in Australian rugby. Even the Brumbies only exist because they were introduced at the start of professionalism when all the teams grew into it together. If they had started with just the two teams, with the original Brumbies players either finding a way into those squads or spending another five years as amateurs rather than professionals, do you really think they would have added the third team? I don't...they would have looked at the demographics and the standard of the players at that later time and said neither were good enough for professional SR. And they would have been right, so it would have been no team (or they would have gone for Melbourne instead).

Frankly, that is my concern if they did decide to commit to the NRC. Even at that level, if they professionalised without Adelaide, SA will likely never be part of professional rugby. But that is a problem for another time; at the moment even WA is hanging by a thread.
    I agree with your sentiment there. But I also tend to think that if they were to look to professionalise the NRC then why not go with the GRR instead? Add in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane while cutting out the two country sides and focusing on re-driecting players that would form those squads to fill a theoretical Adelaide roster. It would better fit with GRR than a Newcastle team. Not because I don't applaud what Newcastle are trying to do. But I think that what I've suggested would fit better with where GRR needs to be looking. Larger, more regionally relevant cities. Looking beyond Fiji and Samoa look at where teams are placed and where interest in future bases has come up. Perth, Kong Kong and Shanghai are the bases for teams. All regionally relevant. Apparently Hyundai are keen to transition their squad to professionalism and if the Japanese Professional League gets up GRR is their only realistic option. Newcastle doesn't really fit into that. THere's a reason BoP has partnered with China as Tauranga isn't exactly notable.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    ...if they were to look to professionalise the NRC then why not go with the GRR instead?
    For mine, because I think most folk hope the GRR might become something better than just a feeder competition. If so and it reaches the level of a SR, then the gap back to club rugby will be similarly too big and it will need an NRC to produce players into it. So I would see the NRC as more the highest level where the whole country plays in one domestic competition, but feeding players up into either SR or GRR. And it needs to be professional, not at the level of SR or GRR, but like the M10C or Currie Cup.

Which is not to say that GRR couldn't be looking at Adelaide. If they were going to do that though, I think they'd need to start at the beginning - over maybe three years, create a Future Falcons for a largish group to intensively raise the level, give them two years as an NRC team with additional trial matches against GRR sides, then kick them off as a GRR team. Like I say, a bit of a commitment in time and money, but that is what happens if you give everyone else a head start. Once GRR is going gangbusters the exercise will only be that much harder and more expensive; almost by definition, the gap they need to make up is unlikely to ever be as small as it is now.

As for Newcastle, I do think it could be a worthwhile addition. But like Western Sydney, it would also come with the major disadvantage of NSWRU. Personally, I don't think it is worth the downside until GRR is really well established and secure, by which time it might be a big exercise to get them up. I definitely think they should have an NRC team though, although under whose auspices is hard to say. Can't see it happening anytime soon (if ever) with RA or NSWRU though.

Senior Player
    vCash
    GRR will be broadcast on FBC (FTA television in Fiji):

FBC secure rights for EURO 2020, NRL, GRR and Suva Zone 1

Akuila Cama
    February 20, 2020 4:28 pm

... The national broadcaster has secured the rights for the EURO 2020, NRL and also the Fury Wilder fight plus the Global Rapid Rugby which will feature the Fijian Latui.

FBC Manager TV Operations Vinal Raj says the viewers are the winners at the end of the day.

“FBC is a service provider obviously so I think we are providing the service to the whole country by giving them all these different sports that we’ll be getting on the channel and it’s all for free”.

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/fb...d-suva-zone-1/

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    GRR will be broadcast on FBC (FTA television in Fiji):

FBC secure rights for EURO 2020, NRL, GRR and Suva Zone 1

Akuila Cama
    February 20, 2020 4:28 pm

... The national broadcaster has secured the rights for the EURO 2020, NRL and also the Fury Wilder fight plus the Global Rapid Rugby which will feature the Fijian Latui.

FBC Manager TV Operations Vinal Raj says the viewers are the winners at the end of the day.

“FBC is a service provider obviously so I think we are providing the service to the whole country by giving them all these different sports that we’ll be getting on the channel and it’s all for free”.

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/fb...d-suva-zone-1/

Interesting that EURO 2020 are on BBC and ITV free to air in the UK. And NRL is on Channel 9 in Australia. So if FBC in Fiji is doing them and GRR on free-to-air as well, can we make the connection that GRR will also be on free-to-air in Australia, NZ, HK, and other countries as well?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Interesting that EURO 2020 are on BBC and ITV free to air in the UK. And NRL is on Channel 9 in Australia. So if FBC in Fiji is doing them and GRR on free-to-air as well, can we make the connection that GRR will also be on free-to-air in Australia, NZ, HK, and other countries as well?
    I don't think you can assume anything JSJ. Each country will likely be a seperate broadcast agreement, there will only be a joint agreement if a single provider has rights to broadcast in all regions. That essentiallyeans it goes fta in the places that will pick it up, not so much the places grr wants it to. That doesn't discount the possibility that grr will sign non-exclusive agreements with a pay wall like fox sports in the hope of picking up fta in the future.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Global Rapid Rugby won't travel to China

No games will be played in China during the first season of Andrew Forrest's Global Rapid Rugby due to the coronavirus.

Last month, the China Lions were announced as the sixth and final team for the inaugural season of the $1 million competition.

But the outbreak of the coronavirus meant organisers have been forced to find an alternative home ground for the Lions this year.

The Lions - a team jointly supported by the China Rugby Football Association and New Zealand domestic outfit Bay of Plenty - will now play three home games in NZ and two in Australia.

They were originally scheduled to play three games in Shanghai and two in Rotorua.

"The health and welfare of the players, the coaches and our fans has been our number one concern and we have followed the advice of all relevant authorities, including the World Health Organisation, every step of the way," Global Rapid Rugby chief executive Mark Evans said.

The inaugural season will begin on March 14 with Fijian Latui hosting the China Lions under lights in Suva.

That will be followed by a double header at Perth's HBF Park, where Manuma Samoa will play Hong Kong's South China Tigers, before the Western Force take on the Malaysia Valke.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/globa...a-3df62f151436

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    so does our Force memberships allow entry to the Samoa vs Hong Kong game?

I'm assuming yes

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash

vCash
    #excited

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    So on the 14th of March - does one ticket get you in for both matches?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I'm asking memberships in a minute

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    So on the 14th of March - does one ticket get you in for both matches?
    That's kind of what's happens with a double header

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    That's kind of what's happens with a double header
    Very true. But up until today, it wasn't a doubleheader, was it?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    The word from memberships is yes, your ticket is valid for both (hardly surprising, but good to check)

Members will be advised once they've finalised the advice!

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Updated Schedule

China Lions to play 2 games in Adelaide (vs Force and Valke)
    Fiji Latui and SCT Round 2 will be at Albert Park Fiji in Suva
    Round 6 SCT vs Latui will be at the National Stadium in HK

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast