Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Could make life interesting

Global Rapid Rugby to find strength from unsuccessful Pacific Islands Super Rugby bid
    Nick Taylor The West Australian
    Friday, 7 December 2018 9:15AM

Western Force can expect to face powerful Pacific Island sides in next year's Global Rapid Rugby competition after an ambitious attempt to set up a combined islands Super Rugby team failed.
    A joint bid from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga to SR governing body SANZAAR fell over after required funding of about $11 million could not be found.
    The move means players not already signed to SR or overseas clubs are likely to view GRR as an option.
    Sides from Fiji and Samoa will play in the $1 million competition, bankrolled by WA mining magnate Andrew Forrest, while an announcement on a Hawaii-based team with a strong Tonga player base is said to be imminent.
    The Japan Rugby Union council meets next week when a decision will be made on which of their teams will join.
    Sides from Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia - understood to be backed by South African Currie Cup division one club Falcons - will make up the eight-team tournament.

More here
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...ng-b881043560z

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I wonder if they can muster up a few Cape Malays for the Malaysia team?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    That’s a bloody good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I wonder if they can muster up a few Cape Malays for the Malaysia team?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    That was Clyne, not SANZAAR
    Let’s not call that poephol by his name. He doesn’t command that respect.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    There is a rather gloomy piece on Roar this morning.

Is Australian rugby following in the footsteps of West Indian cricket?
    https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/12/1...ndian-cricket/

I posted the following reply:

However here in Western Australia, I sense that rugby is on the cusp of another boom, like we had 12-13 years ago when the Force got into Super rugby. When the ARU unfairly axed the Force, the WA junior and club registrations dropped and there was a lot of anger in WA.But with Twiggy creating Global Rapid Rugby there is a now sense of optimism about rugby in WA. Twiggy has often said it was the passion of the Force fans that prompted him to do something to keep the Force alive. He and other WA business people are really making a difference in helping the Emerging Force development squad of young 17-20 year old male and female talented rugby players. The RugbyRoos program has development coaches and Force players visiting different non-rugby junior schools every week introducing them to rugby.Twiggy funded a massive marketing and media campaign when he ran the World Series Rugby series in Perth this year. WSR was on free-to-air and pay TV in the west. Some of my AFL crazy golf mates started talking rugby to me for the first time. I imagine the publicity campaign for Global Rapid Rugby in the next few months will dwarf that for the WSR.So rugby in the West is not going the way of West Indian cricket. When GRR get a team in Western Sydney for the 2020 season, then the boom will also spread across Australia.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good work JSJ

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Not much news, but it's in the news...

More Pathways For Players: O’Connor

December 10 2018, 11:00

by NICOLETTE CHAMBERS, LAUTOKA

The Fiji Rugby Union aims to participate in the Global Rapid Rugby Competition next year.

FRU’s chief executive officer John O’Connor made the comment after the special general meeting at the Tanoa International Hotel, Nadi on Saturday.

O’Connor said this was part of creating new pathways for our rugby players.

“Next year we will be playing the Maori two times and we will be playing USA, Canada and Japan in the Pacific Nations Cup competition,” he said.

We are now in final discussions to have a team in the Global Rapid Rugby which kicks off in February or March. There’s quite a lot of pathways that have been created for our players.”

He said during the SGM the administrators were informed to communicate to the players the pathways that were now available to them and for the players to also prepare well for the next season.

http://fijisun.com.fj/2018/12/10/mor...ayers-oconnor/

vCash
    Was talking to a Sth African fella at a grandkids' Christmas do the other day (had a members cap on). He had been to a few games last year and was pretty impressed with the skills and speed Panasonic displayed (as was I). But he was relatively unaware of what's in the pipeline for 2019. I really hope we will see an advertising blitz that surpasses what we saw before the Fiji match last year. Once everything is nailed down I'm pretty sure we will too.

I'm actually hopeful we will see more than one or two Japanese teams involved over the next half dozen years.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Was talking to a Sth African fella at a grandkids' Christmas do the other day (had a members cap on). He had been to a few games last year and was pretty impressed with the skills and speed Panasonic displayed (as was I). But he was relatively unaware of what's in the pipeline for 2019. I really hope we will see an advertising blitz that surpasses what we saw before the Fiji match last year. Once everything is nailed down I'm pretty sure we will too.

I'm actually hopeful we will see more than one or two Japanese teams involved over the next half dozen years.
    The ad and media blitz will no doubt come. But us hardcore fans from TWF and Sea of Blue on FaceBook can spread the word to fringe fans and others as well. I wear my Force hat every day and have a Force sticker on my car. It prompts questions about what is happening with the Force, so I never miss the opportunity to tell them all the positive news on the Force and GRR. The amazing survival and growth story of the Force when it it is retold in books and documentaries in years to come ,will make us TWFers so proud to have played a small part in the story.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    The ad and media blitz will no doubt come. But us hardcore fans from TWF and Sea of Blue on FaceBook can spread the word to fringe fans and others as well. I wear my Force hat every day and have a Force sticker on my car. It prompts questions about what is happening with the Force, so I never miss the opportunity to tell them all the positive news on the Force and GRR. The amazing survival and growth story of the Force when it it is retold in books and documentaries in years to come ,will make us TWFers so proud to have played a small part in the story.
    And Twiggy says often that it was the emotion and passion of the Force fans that prompted him him to do something.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I have a TWF inspired Western Force sticker on my ute.

Not sure how good that it is for recruiting fans being in Western Sydney.

But - it makes me happy.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I have a TWF inspired Western Force sticker on my ute.

Not sure how good that it is for recruiting fans being in Western Sydney.

But - it makes me happy.
    Hi Ex, whats with the new .X handle?

Yes, you are doing your bit for us over there in Sydney. I am trying to get some positive stuff on Roar about the GRR and the Force, so those real rugby fans in Sydney find out whats happening. There have been a couple of people responding to me with Ex in their handle, and I have assumed one of them is you?

vCash
    Shh! It's his secret identity!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Yes, you are doing your bit for us over there in Sydney. I am trying to get some positive stuff on Roar about the GRR and the Force, so those real rugby fans in Sydney find out whats happening. There have been a couple of people responding to me with Ex in their handle, and I have assumed one of them is you?
    the .X. was Shasta's idea. Well Technically it was supposed to be X - but the Database that operates the TWF Forum needs a 3 character name.

I havent commented on TheRoar in 12 months. I think they are full of shit and I refuse to feed the Trolls.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    the .X. was Shasta's idea. Well Technically it was supposed to be X
    Well not really. Just commented that expat could be contracted to X just as easily as exile. But if dotexdot floats your boat its all good.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast