Page 45 of 70 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    A good result but we were definitely missing the Rapid in this one!
    Has anyone seen or heard how long the ball has been in play compared to the normal game?
    I thought every guy on the pitch played fantastic our scrum was monstering a much larger scrum. Far to many resets though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I know. The scrums went on too long. I thought they were "one shot"

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    why is that a bad thing?

It makes good sense not to have a game that clashes with Super Rugby - It then allows Foxsports/KAYO to be one of the Broadcast partners.
    That's not the part that's irritating, I'm not worried about that, if it allows for more broadcast partners that's fine. My "FFS" is that here we have the RA meddling again; that's all.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    A good result but we were definitely missing the Rapid in this one!
    Yeah, but the HK game and the World 15 were pretty rapid.

Really enjoyed the pre game this match and Lachie Read was less intrusive. Maybe someone is helping him out there. A couple of the "fun cameras" were still a little poorly timed but getting better too. A work in progress.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yeah, but the HK game and the World 15 were pretty rapid.

Really enjoyed the pre game this match and Lachie Read was less intrusive. Maybe someone is helping him out there. A couple of the "fun cameras" were still a little poorly timed but getting better too. A work in progress.
    When you say the cameras were poorly timed I disagree. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from watching the on field action whilst the camera men try and engage the crowd. You are nit picking for the sake of nit picking. If you have a problem with the camera then look away, the field is large enough and wide enough for you to enjoy the action.

GRR is heading in the right direction. Yes there are issues to iron out. But I would say they are more promotional and administrative ones.

The really key questions to be asking is:

"How do we replicate the World Series Rugby crowds we had last year?"

"What lessons learnt from World Series Rugby did we not emulate for Global Rapid Rugby"

"What positives from World Series Rugby did we not emulate for Global Rapid Rugby that may or may not be influencing crowd attendances/ TV audiences"

"How do we make GRR for tradionalists whilst still attracting new fans?"

These are more administrative. What they are doing on the field is fantastic and highly entertaining. Maybe a few law tweaks could help a little, personally I want 40min halves, losing 10minutes and missing out on watching another 2 or 3 tries as defences start to disintegrate due to fatigue would be a catalyst to opening the game up in the last 20mins and wpuld probably turn the game helter skelter which tends to happen in the NZL super rugby games as both teams launch full scale attacks at each other whilst their defensive lines and structure start to disintegrate due to the pace of the game.

vCash
    Yes much better without the announcers constantly gabbling. But the music is still way over the top - I reckon if they could fade it out just before the scrums & lineouts, otherwise its just deafening. They still managed to fuck up the Force chant tho.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I know. The scrums went on too long. I thought they were "one shot"
    I still maintain a worthwhile variation around the scrum would be to replace the 'hit' with a 'fold'. Would still be powered and require all the aspects of the contest for the ball but would actually require increased technique while nullifying many of the issues around the scrum which are caused by the 'hit'.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Yes much better without the announcers constantly gabbling. But the music is still way over the top - I reckon if they could fade it out just before the scrums & lineouts, otherwise its just deafening. They still managed to fuck up the Force chant tho.
    Yeah, when the crowd spontaneously starting chanting Force, Force, Force it is fantastic, then the announcer butts in and tries to rev it up. The crowd shuts up. They obviously object to being told to chant, as do I.

My only whinge. Rest of the night was great and I always look around at all the young kids have fun, My grandson and his mate love going to Force games now. GRR is building a good young fan base for the future. It is not about us whingeing old farts.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest excited for Global Rapid Rugby’s future
    Nick Taylor The West Australian
    Saturday, 13 April 2019 2:19PM

Mining magnate Andrew Forrest says his investment in Global Rapid Rugby is a risk worth taking - and he predicts a big future for the new look game.
    GRR, played under new "speed-up" laws, evolved when Forrest vowed to keep professional rugby alive in WA after the controversial axing of the Western Force from Super Rugby by Rugby Australia.
    "This has been a risk worth taking," Forrest said after watching the Force beat the international-laden Asia Pacific Dragons 42-10 on Friday night.

"The cutting of the Western Force is still a complete and utter joke but I'm so glad it has led us to this doorstep.
    "This is a brand of rugby which has been a long time coming.
    "This is the rugby we have imagined, not the rugby we have experienced before.
    "We have a faster, free-flowing, fantastic game. To see the reaction of the crowd and the joy on the faces of the players has been completely fulfilling."
    Forrest said GRR had the full backing of governing body World Rugby.
    "World Rugby are delighted by how this has gone," he said.
    "They are delighted by the super-speed of the game. All the skills of the game are there in a still physical game."
    The Force beat the Hong Kong-based South China Tigers 45-22 in their first GRR game of the season with games averaging just over 8000 and Forrest said: "We are only starting. We are going to build it up from here."
    The Force play return fixtures next month before taking on sides from Fiji and Samoa and GRR is set for expansion next year with at least one team expected from Japan and with interest from clubs in Western Sydney, Newcastle and Queensland.
    Japan loses the Sunwolves from Super Rugby next year leaving the door open for GRR.
    "The fact that the Japanese have been offered a number of alternatives and they are keeping their powder dry for Global Rapid Rugby says a lot," Forrest said.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881167979z

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    from Japan and with interest from clubs in Western Sydney, Newcastle and Queensland.
    Japan loses the Sunwolves from Super Rugby next year leaving the door open for GRR
    I wonder who the side interested from Queensland is?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    I wonder who the side interested from Queensland is?
    Western Sydney and Queensland would be great.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    There may be a Club from Western Sydney but I will never betray the Western Force.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I really, really, REALLY hope they establish a stable and economically viable competition, based primarily in Asia and fulfilling all the grand promises first, before they start looking at expansion. In particular, teams from Australia, NZ, etc will come with their priorities and they will almost certainly not align at all well with those of Asia. It would be very embarrassing to repeat the follies and failings of SR, given how frequently the feeling of being on the receiving end is referenced.

As I've noted previously, the lack of an apparent central vision and ethos is starting to worry me. If it is noise for noise sake, not a problem. But it comes across as there still being no plan and everything about the competition being up for grabs less than a year out from the start. Again - we were saying similar last year, and sure enough it didn't all come together....

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I really, really, REALLY hope they establish a stable and economically viable competition, based primarily in Asia and fulfilling all the grand promises first, before they start looking at expansion. In particular, teams from Australia, NZ, etc will come with their priorities and they will almost certainly not align at all well with those of Asia. It would be very embarrassing to repeat the follies and failings of SR, given how frequently the feeling of being on the receiving end is referenced.

As I've noted previously, the lack of an apparent central vision and ethos is starting to worry me. If it is noise for noise sake, not a problem. But it comes across as there still being no plan and everything about the competition being up for grabs less than a year out from the start. Again - we were saying similar last year, and sure enough it didn't all come together....
    For this competition to succeed it needs a solid anchor of teams ideally from one nation. It makes sense for that to be Australia in my opinion.

vCash
    One of the opening tenets of this competition was the alignment of time zones. I iked that. If games are scheduled north/south, rather than all over the map, then broadcast schedules are easier and travel is lessened. Jet lag becomes a thing of the past.

Newcastle, Western Sydney and Queensland should play in a seperate conference (hopefully that word doesn't offend) and play in a club challenge finals series with all winners of each time zone.

C'mon the

Page 45 of 70 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 ... LastLast