Page 31 of 70 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Is there anyone with any brains running any national rugby union anywhere in the world???
    Phillip Browne the IRFU CEO.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Don't forget bargain basement shirts Kalahard

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    There are 8 pro teams in the US already with three more starting competitive play next year. Look up Major League Rugby.
    Don't tell me what I need to look up, I already know that.

You've assumed too much about what I wrote.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Don't tell me what I need to look up, I already know that.

You've assumed too much about what I wrote.
    Then you'd know not having a team in Hawaii wouldn't bother WR in the least.

vCash
    WR are a bunch of arseholes...a common condition in Rugby circles given they like to think of themselves as "provinces" etc. Basically a bunch of Eton pansies who wished they could change the world by cosying up to the KGB ala Philby but are 90 years too late.

Any organisation that wants to initiate a "world competition" and promptly excludes it's most exciting crowd pleasing nations has shit for brains.

Alison, the answer is a firm "NO!!!" there are no brains in WR, only self entitled blazer clad prawn sandwich chomping bolly swilling prats. God help me, Will Carling was right!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Basically a bunch of Eton pansies who wished they could change the world by cosying up to the KGB ala Philby but are 90 years too late.
    Coming up with a reference like that I can believe you really are 87!! Valid though. Philby's security vetting was pretty incompetent, even allowing for the clunky record keeping of the times.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Huh?

So they essentially get a free team started up in a region that they clearly see as a money bank?

You're essentially telling us that WR would be perfectly fine forgoing a potential stream of money in one of the biggest untapped markets without putting anything up to get access to that money. It may be indirect but it's clear that growth in the US, funded externally, can only be in the US national team & WR's benefit.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Huh?

So they essentially get a free team started up in a region that they clearly see as a money bank?

You're essentially telling us that WR would be perfectly fine forgoing a potential stream of money in one of the biggest untapped markets without putting anything up to get access to that money. It may be indirect but it's clear that growth in the US, funded externally, can only be in the US national team & WR's benefit.
    There are currently 8 teams in the States (and one in Canada) that have cost WR absolutely nothing to get up and running as they are all privately backed and another 3 (definite) possibly 4 joining that number next year. Teams that have already had an impact on the Eagles. Teams that have opened up 240 contracts in the States at present and 90-120 coming online next year. Even if half of them are filled with foreign talent we're talking plenty of opportunity already in place.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Official press release from the NHRU:

NHRU Enters Talks About Asia Pacific Rugby

Newcastle and Hunter Rugby Union (NHRU) has entered talks about possibly entering a professional team in a new rugby union competition that will start in the Asia Pacific region next year.

President of NHRU, Bill Clifton, said initial discussions had been held with Global Rapid Rugby about entering a Hunter-based rugby team in the new competition.

“NHRU held talks last week with the head of Global Rapid Rugby, Matt Hodgson, and inspected facilities at No.2 Sportsground, McDonald Jones Stadium and the University of Newcastle,” said Clifton.

“The talks were at a high level where we discussed the ‘pros and cons’ of entering a team from the Hunter Region.”

Global Rapid Rugby has been founded and financially backed by Perth billionaire and mining magnate, Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest. It is being designed to have eight teams from Australia, Fiji, Hong Kong, Japan, Samoa and Singapore playing against each other in 2020.

Clifton said NHRU’s talks with Global Rapid Rugby were known to Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby.

“One of the clear directions from local rugby clubs in formulating a new strategic business plan was for NHRU to explore ways in which we can provide pathways and create rugby attraction in the Hunter Valley,” he said.

“Our next step is to confirm approval by Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby and develop a business plan for the Hunter Region to have a competitive side in 2020.”

The initial talks with Global Rapid Rugby follows confirmation that NSW Rugby is to establish a satellite rugby academy in Newcastle with support from NHRU.

http://nhru.com.au/2019/03/02/nhru-e...pacific-rugby/

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Whichever moron thought it would be a good idea to throw every single game on a Friday
    Maybe, but just maybe, that moron had to look at what other booking there were at said stadium, and noted that the Glory seemed to have bookings on Saturday/Sunday on many of the weeks for the Asia showcase.

So the question might really be "Whichever moron thought they'd have a whinge about bookings, without checking their facts?"

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Official press release from the NHRU:

NHRU Enters Talks About Asia Pacific Rugby

Newcastle and Hunter Rugby Union (NHRU) has entered talks about possibly entering a professional team in a new rugby union competition that will start in the Asia Pacific region next year.

President of NHRU, Bill Clifton, said initial discussions had been held with Global Rapid Rugby about entering a Hunter-based rugby team in the new competition.

“NHRU held talks last week with the head of Global Rapid Rugby, Matt Hodgson, and inspected facilities at No.2 Sportsground, McDonald Jones Stadium and the University of Newcastle,” said Clifton.

“The talks were at a high level where we discussed the ‘pros and cons’ of entering a team from the Hunter Region.”

Global Rapid Rugby has been founded and financially backed by Perth billionaire and mining magnate, Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest. It is being designed to have eight teams from Australia, Fiji, Hong Kong, Japan, Samoa and Singapore playing against each other in 2020.

Clifton said NHRU’s talks with Global Rapid Rugby were known to Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby.

“One of the clear directions from local rugby clubs in formulating a new strategic business plan was for NHRU to explore ways in which we can provide pathways and create rugby attraction in the Hunter Valley,” he said.

“Our next step is to confirm approval by Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby and develop a business plan for the Hunter Region to have a competitive side in 2020.”

The initial talks with Global Rapid Rugby follows confirmation that NSW Rugby is to establish a satellite rugby academy in Newcastle with support from NHRU.

http://nhru.com.au/2019/03/02/nhru-e...pacific-rugby/

It's an interesting option. It would appear that while the NSWRU were apprehensive about a WS team they might be okay with a team in the states second largest city. If they're able to tie in with the Central Coast and Lake Macquarie regions that's be a touch over 1m people in their market.

vCash
    Nope. They're (WR) quite happy with a new league with 8 new US pro-teams and now they get a ninth, this time playing in a league backed by millionaires that taps into the Japanese and Chinese market and is involved with traditional rugby heartland nations. And it's the only major professional franchise in the State. It would be negligent in it's duties as a world governing body for WR not to be interested in it's success.

Last edited by chibi; 04-03-19 at 20:47.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Nope. They're (WR) quite happy with a new league with 8 new US pro-teams and now they get a ninth, this time playing in a league backed by millionaires that taps into the Japanese and Chinese market and is involved with traditional rugby heartland nations. And it's the only major professional franchise in the State. It would be negligent in it's duties as a world governing body for WR not to be interested in it's success.
    I don’t think Hawaii is a good idea for Twiggy due to distance with a 15 hour flight for the Force and it will be bloody hot. Same goes for Dubai. Anyone who has been there between May and October knows how hot it is there. Night time games will be pushing towards midnight in Perth. The stadium at the 7s is a long way from the city centre.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    I've got news for you. The backers of the teams in MLR are millionaires as well. In order to be awarded entry they have to pay an annual bond and provide financial demonstrating their ability to fund full operations for 5 seasons. That's before they even start playing. And there will be 11 or 12 purely US based team from next year competing in MLR. Two of them in New England and Washington DC will be playing exhibition seasons this years in preparation for exactly that.

vCash
    I've got news for you. The backers of the teams in MLR are millionaires as well. In order to be awarded entry they have to pay an annual bond and provide financial demonstrating their ability to fund full operations for 5 seasons. That's before they even start playing. And there will be 11 or 12 purely US based team from next year competing in MLR. Two of them in New England and Washington DC will be playing exhibition seasons this years in preparation for exactly that.
    I don't see why you are trying to argue these two things are relevant to each other? Two different propositions that result in more US based rugby players can ONLY be good for WR.

Or is this the typical G & GR view of 'oh look at the cute Force fans thinking they can do things, they don't know the status quo is the only way things can possibly be!' Although I suppose if you had this view you'd presumably think WR would also want to stick to the status quo, which approving GRR & the World League seems to indicate not being the case.

Page 31 of 70 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast