Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

Player
    vCash
    During this 'Phony War' while we await Cheika's fate all the Rugby scribes (of various quality and reputation) are on tenterhooks! This is the time for GRR announcements to come out! More about the teams. More about the Marquee players. After 10 December the Rugby media will go int hibernation. Yes there have been some good annoucements about re-signed players, but more is need now. Looking forward to more great news soon.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They need to announce the fixtures soon!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    They need to announce the fixtures soon!!
    Got to announce the teams first.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Got to announce the teams first.
    True! If they want the comp to kick off at the end of Feb they had better hurry up!

vCash
    Enough with the panic.

It's going to happen!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Enough with the panic.

It's going to happen!
    Andrew you are obviously in a position to know things we don't, so its a bit rough for you to say 'Don't Panic!"

This is not Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy.

I am sure you would agree that the more details that come out sooner will be to the benefit of GRR, bearing in mind it is to start in about 2 and a halfs months time!

vCash
    As you say it's 2.5 months away.

Those in the know, have no concerns so sit back and let it happen rather than "force" the issue.

Look at how quickly the WF was re-established and the WSR fixture was established.

This is an entire new venture which has been delayed by experts (especially RA).

Have faith.

Get on board and buy your membership for the 7 home games.
    I hear that they're trying to make away game 2 weeks in a row so that we can organise worthwhile rugby trips

MIH Minderoo!

Senior Player
    vCash
    FOX SPORTS NEW PODCAST! Greg Martin calls for sweeping Wallabies changes while Matt Hodgson takes us inside the radical new Global Rapid Rugby competition

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/f...4f851e1153aa28

Fox Rugby Podcast: Former Wallaby Matt Hodgson on Global Rapid Rugby

Sam Worthington

December 4, 2018 2:37pm
    Source: FOX SPORTS

Matt Hodgson has never shied away from hard work. It was the trait that defined his stellar 12 season professional career, in which he chalked up 140 Super Rugby games for the Force and 11 Tests for the Wallabies before retiring last year.

And it’s the same quality that the former flanker is now drawing upon in his new gig as the head of rugby for the fledgling Global Rapid Rugby competition.

“I’m pretty much surviving off coffee at the moment,” Hodgson said during his appearance on the Fox Rugby Podcast.

Instead of hitting rucks and making tackles, Hodgson is now racking up airpoints and striking deals as a key figure in Andrew Forrest’s GRR team.

It is no small task, setting up a competition from scratch involving eight teams spread across the Asia Pacific.

With kickoff set for late February, the timeline is tight, although momentum is now building after getting the green light from World Rugby and Rugby Australia.

GRR has replaced World Series Rugby, this year’s hastily organised competition which served as a placeholder for rugby in Western Australia.

Talks are ongoing with teams from Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan and Hodgson admits he was initially sceptical about rugby’s reach in some of those countries.

Until he started hopping on planes.

“It’s quite astounding how much rugby is played, especially in the schools and universities,” Hodgson said.

“It’s pretty much a world game, it’s played in large numbers and large pockets throughout the regions we’ve been through.

“A few years ago you probably wouldn’t have said Georgia was a strong rugby nation, or America, but now they’re in the top 12 in the world.

“So if you invest a bit of time and energy into these areas, I think they’re going to go from tier three to tier two and from tier two to tier one in probably a 10 year span.”

GRR games will run for 70 minutes, instead of 80, with some law tweaks to encourage fast paced play and less stoppages.

The concept is the brainchild of Forrest, the mining magnate billionaire who has stepped into the void left by the Force’s Super Rugby culling.

“He’s quite incredible to work and learn off,” Hodgson said.

“I teach him about the insides of rugby and he teaches me a bit about the business life and life in general.

“It’s quite exciting and powerful to turn up to work and him to pop in.

“People might think he’d have an interest but not be in the bunker with us but he’s in here fighting, he comes in quite regularly and always has a finger on the pulse and an opinion and ideas that we sort of branch out together.

“So it’s pretty exciting and I don’t think the Western Force or this tournament would be around if we didn’t have a person like Andrew and his vision and determination backing it.”

Force captain in their final Super Rugby season, Hodgson was also the club’s emotional heartbeat and was brought to tears when RA made its decision to reduce five Australian clubs to four.

Naturally, there was a lot of anger in the west and at the time Hodgson said it was testing his love for the game.

Sixteen months on, Hodgson said that love had returned and he was focused on pouring positive energy back into the game.

“Obviously a lot of disappointment with the way the Western Force was removed from Super Rugby but we can’t live in the past and dwell on that.

“We have to rebuild these bridges and both parties are doing that, working strongly and our ultimate goal is to bring rugby back into Western Australia and make the Wallabies more accessible and have more players have the opportunity to play for Australia.

“We have to work closely together to achieve those two goals.”

Hodgson said he had also struck up an amicable working relationship with RA chief executive Raelene Castle, who replaced Bill Pulver last year.

“To Raelene’s credit, and it was a big step for her, one of the first engagements was with the WA public when she first got appointed and people probably forget that Raelene wasn’t involved in the way this process went about before she got in the position,” Hodgson said.

“She jumped in the deep end and it was a difficult task for her but since then, every time we meet or talk, we’re building a stronger business relationship there.

“I think that’s often forgotten but my love for the game is definitely still there and it’s exciting now to view rugby from a different angle.”

vCash
    Hell, they could release the fixtures a week before the games itself for all I care, as long as they make sure flights are cheap enough for away games. That's my one and only issue.

Player
    vCash
    I'm not "in the know", but I do know the character of those involved and they are both confident and relaxed, so I'm not going to panic on their behalf

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    I'm not "in the know", but I do know the character of those involved and they are both confident and relaxed, so I'm not going to panic on their behalf
    Yes we are like impatient kids waiting for Christmas. Except Santa is a fairy tale, where as Twiggy and Hodgo are real determined characters that I have full confidence they will make GRR happen successfully. There must be dozens of contracts/agreements to sign for teams, their unions, TV, stadiums, etc.
    So they doing the right thing not dribbling out too much half finished titbits to us.

Lets cast our minds back to the media and advertising blitz they released just prior to WSR in Perth. I think the GRR blitz when it comes, will dwarf that, because it will cover all of Asia/Pacific

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Hell, they could release the fixtures a week before the games itself for all I care, as long as they make sure flights are cheap enough for away games. That's my one and only issue.
    This is my thoughts, GRR/Twiggy/Force dont control cost of flights, so the closer to the date the more expensive flights/accom become

vCash
    Yes and some of us work for employers who want to know your leave plans at least 6 months in advance so they can ensure operational requirements are met.

It’snotpanic. I know it will happen. But some of us need to plan ahead

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Except Santa is a fairy tale,
    what????!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    This is my thoughts, GRR/Twiggy/Force dont control cost of flights, so the closer to the date the more expensive flights/accom become
    Unless they have special flight and accommodation partners lined up. Force flights at a reasonable price.

Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast