Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    I guess looking at the positives

>This year will be a trial year and will give time for the HK, Singapore and Fiji teams to get up and running and really get involved with the local communities, similar to the force last year.
    >2020 is post world cup so plenty of superstar rugby players that will be available on the market to prop up teams.
    >There will be more time to get the other teams up and running and signed and hopefully with a Japanese and Western Sydney team to make the original total 8 teams.

It was always going to be hard getting a new comp up and running with approval only given in November.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Story here with more detail about games and where they will be played.
    No Japan but all the others are in - time to start saving methinks.

New Global Rapid Rugby competition delayed until next year
    Nick Taylor The West Australian
    Thursday, 31 January 2019 8:25AM

Western Force will play a series of showcase games this season ahead of a delayed launch for Global Rapid Rugby that will now kick off next year.
    The Force will play about 10 matches. Some games will be against teams from Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia who are expected to play in next year’s competition.
    The Force will play home games at HBF Park.
    They will travel to Asia, the Pacific Islands and it is understood games may also be played in New Zealand and on the east coast.
    Games will be played under the innovative new rules designed to produce a faster game.

More here

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881090280z

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    One positive out of it all....there will be LOTS of players looking for clubs post RWC.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Another positive is Global now has a full 12 months to set up Western Sydney team! The wankers in NSW rugby right now will be celebrating this decision but once the dust settles and Hodgo and Twiggy and crew start turning the screws on them it'll be a whole different ball game. Can't complain about lack of time to sort out a team now!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Blessing in disguise I reckon! Rushing it through could have been detrimental to the cause.

Plenty of time to sort it out properly now.... and off the back of the WC.

Will work out better in the long run!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Going to have to get on the front foot though, as this is where big bold statements bite back. Failing to deliver is not going to help next time with players, broadcasters or potential teams...first impression now is not good. Need to push hard the strategic response to changed situations, time to provide more structure to underpin new teams, allows enhacements to concept, etc. And then actually deliver all that and more, otherwise it might really be all over.

No doubt the ES entities will observe that they were right about the time required, might even go down the whole "We did warn them, only trying to help so much" line. Still think GRR should go to Newcastle instead though.

vCash
    Yes, well those Es entities said that knowing that they'd be pulling out all the stops to make it fail to meet deadlines.

No doubt they've threatened various unions behind closed doors

C'mon the

vCash
    Their own announcement here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Dont know how true or not....

Forrest takes a hit following postponement of new rugby competition

Global Rapid Rugby has been postponed until 2020 in a major blow to billionaire mining magnate Andrew Forrest and his vision for an Asia-Pacific rugby competition.

The Herald understands Forrest made the difficult call to push back the competition for one year on the eve of its mooted March kick-off after failing to clinch deals with two of the six teams - the Malaysian and Samoan sides - slated for its first season.

The Western Force, Hong Kong and Singapore teams were understood to be ready for the season, with squads in training for much of the past month, while Fiji was on track to make the deadline.

Forrest is expected to make the announcement later today.
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...31-p50uqt.html
    I won't lie - I bought my membership under the impression we were going to be playing GRR.... Have to say I am a little disappointed. Any idea whats going to happen with memberships?

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzy View Post
    I won't lie - I bought my membership under the impression we were going to be playing GRR.... Have to say I am a little disappointed. Any idea whats going to happen with memberships?
    Ditto.
    We've paid our money but we still don't know how many games we are entitled to attend for that money; 5? 7?

I imagine the WTYS lobby is in full cry.

vCash
    They might as well approach the Brumbies for a game as Cheika won’t be selecting many from that side.

There is an opportunity to bring out a side like Toulon or Racing.

This was inevitable given that twiddle dumb and twiddle Dee are still involved with the RA and it was a very short window to sort out logistics.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzy View Post
    I won't either. We didn't cough up the money. I never do unless I'm pretty sure what I'll be getting for it. With the exception of "investing" in a share of a slow hayburner.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Ditto.
    We've paid our money but we still don't know how many games we are entitled to attend for that money; 5? 7?

I imagine the WTYS lobby is in full cry.
    5 games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I won't either. We didn't cough up the money. I never do unless I'm pretty sure what I'll be getting for it. With the exception of "investing" in a share of a slow hayburner.
    Maybe I let my excitement for being part of something awesome get in the way of rational thinking. Not sure I would have spent $800 on seats for a "showcase series", if anything I probably would have gone a flexi membership.

Regardless, I'm still going to go and enjoy the games. Just can't help but feel a little duped. 5 games doesn't seem like a lot but then again, doing the maths... its does work out better than buying the tickets individually if prices are anything like they were last year

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Yeah, we'll still be going but prolly go the cheap seats seeing they're exhibition matches.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast