Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Possibly Rikardus Craniatus Syndrome. The remedy? Either take Westie's advice and ignore. Or alternatively take the piss. Under most circumstances a Rikardus Craniatus sufferer should not be taken seriously.
    It’s certainly got its nickers in a twist again!
    It must be sad waking up thinking what can I moan about today!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    That Pukekohe fixture looks interesting, when was the last time they had a full house there? Back in the Vidiri-Lomu days? Not that I'm predicting a full house, but if there's anything like the promotion we had last year, it could be quite a spectacle; I mean, it is (in some way) Samoa vs Fiji after all.

I for one, would love to see a mock table and trophy for each series, but that's mainly so it can be used in newsbites or marketing during the season:

IE: "The Top-of-the-Table Clash between..." etc, etc.

Curious to see how they promote the non-Western Force fixtures in WA; it would be a good way to generate the idea that we are a part of new competition, that the other teams are relevant and have an identity we should familiarise ourselves with. I think that lack of promotion of just who the other teams were in Super Rugby, was one of the downfalls of that competition. It's hard to get tribalism going if you don't know/care who your opposition is. In the old NSL days of the Perth Glory, we were very passionate about sticking it to the traditional ethnic clubs of Sydney and Melbourne; that passion dropped off a fair bit when the A-League came in with all new franchises; it's taken a awhile to build back up. Hopefully Minderoo can capitalise on the geographic identifiers of these teams from the get go. Let people know that the Force truly are going to mega, world-cities like Hong Kong and Singapore to play their Asian opposition. And if the Samoa-Fiji fixtures get bumper ticket sales, make sure as bloody hell that they're on free-to-air and there's GRR logos all over the place; maybe even have the same commentary team for all matches, with the same on-screen graphics, to keep the "oneness" and cohesive feeling of the competition?

Edit: I'm more excited than Big Kev at moment; rest his old soul

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 02-03-19 at 13:51.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I for one, would love to see a mock table and trophy for each series, but that's mainly so it can be used in newsbites or marketing during the season
    Seen or unseen, I reckon the tables exist!

Because reasons:

• From the RR release, the Asia series and Pacific series are separate "tri-series contests"

• and the "winners" access a $50k prize purse to assist local community rugby.

• From Fiji Rugby, the series will include "a bonus point system"

Having contests, winners and bonus points imply there are tables.

Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Edit: I'm more excited than Big Kev at moment; rest his old soul

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    As you’d expect, competition points will be accumulated if your team wins (4 points) or draws (2 points) their match. We’ve also upped the ante to incentivise and reward attacking tactics and game style. Bonus points are up for grabs if your team does one or more of the following;

Wins by 3 or more tries = 1 bonus point
    Scores 4 or more tries in a game = 1 bonus point
    Lose by 5 points of less = 1 bonus point
    https://www.rapidrugby.com/rapid-rugby/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    Seen or unseen, I reckon the tables exist!

Because reasons:

• From the RR release, the Asia series and Pacific series are separate "tri-series contests"

• and the "winners" access a $50k prize purse to assist local community rugby.

• From Fiji Rugby, the series will include "a bonus point system"

Having contests, winners and bonus points imply there are tables.

That's kind of what I was thinking. It's not like you would produce a table prior to the fixtures announcement as these usually get formulated closer to the start of the season. Two Tri Series is a good outcome I would much rather they did that than have a convulted full series with an artificial number of fixtures unevenly distributed across all teams *cough* Superrugby*cough* and atleast this way we get two bites at the cherry (especially after Panasonics famous WSR victory last year) and may actually end up with a trophy for the first time since we famously grand slammed the Aussie teams way back in those early days

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    As you’d expect, competition points will be accumulated if your team wins (4 points) or draws (2 points) their match. We’ve also upped the ante to incentivise and reward attacking tactics and game style. Bonus points are up for grabs if your team does one or more of the following;

Wins by 3 or more tries = 1 bonus point
    Scores 4 or more tries in a game = 1 bonus point
    Lose by 5 points of less = 1 bonus point
    https://www.rapidrugby.com/rapid-rugby/
    That's terrific news. It will take some getting used to this new point system but it will be good to see how teams keep playing for points with some new ways of earning them.

vCash
    What has left me shaking my head is the fact that every home Force game falls on a Friday. I doubt many families and juniors will be able to attend the games this year which is a shame given the sunday mothers day game was such a huge success last year. It is amazing that they couldnt have had just 1 or even 2 games on a Saturday/ or Sunday, not even 1.

vCash
    especially after Panasonics famous WSR victory last year

I thought the Force won that game against the Panasonic Knights?!!?

vCash
    my point as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    especially after Panasonics famous WSR victory last year

I thought the Force won that game against the Panasonic Knights?!!?
    It was a joke, i was taking the piss out of that article that said the wild knights won World Series Rugby..

vCash
    If the attendance at Pukehohe is bigger than what the Rabble got against the Highlanders it will be a raging success.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    If the attendance at Pukehohe is bigger than what the Rabble got against the Highlanders it will be a raging success.
    In the view of those highly esteemed leaders of the ARU/RA who are ensconced in the Moore Park bunker, 11,029 at a Rebels home game is a healthy roll-up and a vindication of the money which has been poured into the Rebels.

vCash
    Have just been having an early morning look through the fixture again.

I reckon Minderoo has done a fantastic job in the time available - as I'm sure they were under pressure from World Rugby to have this all wrapped up by end June in recognition of the limited Test window prior to the RWC in Japan and for the Force to be available for the NRC.
    They even managed to keep GRR clear of the finals for SR - which was probably needed to get the tick from RA.

Maintaining the separate Asia and Pacific series focus means that the players are actually playing for something rather than exhibition matches.

Opportunity to have best-of-three focus against the Tigers and Dragons as well as top of table honours.
    Not enough time to do the same for the Pacific series but the home-and-away gives the Sea of Blue a chance of holiday travel.

Clearly Samoa is not set up, at this stage, to host these games (in the same way as Fiji) but great opportunity to host GRR in the two Islander strongholds of Brisbane and Auckland while giving the East Coast and NZ a taste of GRR.

The Force players will enjoy the motivation of some international travel, the chance to earn some bragging rights over each opposition as well as earning 2 x $50k for community rugby in WA.

Personally the timing isn't perfect as family clashes will prevent the Hong Kong/Singapore double but liking the look of a Brisbane/Auckland holiday in June.

Happy enough with the Friday games (as a chance to knock-off work early), avoids the clash with club rugby and Samoa and Fiji don't like playing on Sunday.

To reiterate - Hodgo and the team at Minderoo have done a fantastic job in limited time in creating a GRR showcase with interest for both fans and the players.

Very excited to see how the new rules work, what's new re the match day experience and be able to watch rugby in a way that was never going to be available to WA though Rugby Australia.
    (Still looking to find that development pathway that is supposedly going to be maintained for WA based rugby players)

The pre-Bledisloe game is a fantastic opportunity to fill out the weekend for visiting rugby fans and show off what GRR and a full HBF stadium has to offer as a match day experience. I hope the opposition is a Barbarians style composite team from the available players from Tigers, Dragons, Latui and Kagifa and maybe some of the marque players who were lined up for GRR.

Bring on the 22 March.
    GO YOU WESTERN FORCE.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 02-03-19 at 07:38.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikardius Cranius
    ...It was a joke, i was taking the piss out of that article that said the wild knights won World Series Rugby...
    Yup I agree, it sure read that way to me. Obviously taking the piss.

A total joke.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Very well said Andrew. I wholeheartedly endorse everything you’ve written. Although, I must admit to having been very frustrated about the lack of news for the last 3 months following the Cottesloe beach euphoria in early December. I understand the reasons why but I think a bit of communication - if only to say ‘hang in there’ - with the faithful here in Perth (whose support last year was key) would not have gone astray.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast