Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    Been a few comments in other threads about where to base Japanese teams after the demise of the Sunwolves. South Korea is even getting a mention. Buggered if I know why unless for business reasons, as they only have 2600 registered players from a population of 51 million. Some other figures (Wiki) are Japan 122,000 from 126,000,000. Malaysia 60000 from 31,000,000 (pleasant surprise), China/Hong Kong - figures probably rubbery but strategically/financially a must (IMO). For comparison the Argies have an impressive 102,000 players from a nation of 41,000'000 berserker football fanatics.
    The one country that seems to have dropped out of the conversation is Sri Lanka. It has an impressive 103,000 registered players from 41,000,000 population. And (according to Mutiah Muralitharan in conversation with then Wallaby Matt Bourke) they are fanatical and only second to cricket. So why are they seemingly off the radar now? Political situation maybe?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Been a few comments in other threads about where to base Japanese teams after the demise of the Sunwolves. South Korea is even getting a mention. Buggered if I know why unless for business reasons, as they only have 2600 registered players from a population of 51 million. Some other figures (Wiki) are Japan 122,000 from 126,000,000. Malaysia 60000 from 31,000,000 (pleasant surprise), China/Hong Kong - figures probably rubbery but strategically/financially a must (IMO). For comparison the Argies have an impressive 102,000 players from a nation of 41,000'000 berserker football fanatics.
    The one country that seems to have dropped out of the conversation is Sri Lanka. It has an impressive 103,000 registered players from 41,000,000 population. And (according to Mutiah Muralitharan in conversation with then Wallaby Matt Bourke) they are fanatical and only second to cricket. So why are they seemingly off the radar now? Political situation maybe?

South Korea has been mentioned as a possible future expansion location. That's the only reason I've bought it up and considering their small player base they present quite a competitive team in the region. Part of GRR is about the development of the game in the respective nations. South Korea is as good as any for that ambition. Sri Lanka has been mentioned in the same vein. Another no one talks about but according to wiki has 16k players is Thailand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    South Korea has been mentioned as a possible future expansion location. That's the only reason I've bought it up and considering their small player base they present quite a competitive team in the region. Part of GRR is about the development of the game in the respective nations. South Korea is as good as any for that ambition. Sri Lanka has been mentioned in the same vein.
    Well I don't know how you link Sri Lanka and Korea "In the same vein" for future development when SL has 20,000 more registered players than Australia. The point I was making was more about WHY they have not been at the forefront of plans for right now. On the figures alone, it would seem SL is as ripe as Japan. But I don't know WHY. That's why I put the question.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Well I don't know how you link Sri Lanka and Korea "In the same vein" for future development when SL has 20,000 more registered players than Australia. The point I was making was more about WHY they have not been at the forefront of plans for right now. On the figures alone, it would seem SL is as ripe as Japan. But I don't know WHY. That's why I put the question.
    Both have been put out as speculative expansion targets. They're clearly very different propositions one a comparative scale but so are the UAE and China who have also come up in similar articles.

There could also be a solid argument made for Sth Korea being ahead of Sri Lanka if you look at the relative economic strengths of each nations and overall affluence of the populations. Investing in developing the game in Sth Korea both commercially and at the grassroots level would return a higher dividend than a Sri Lankan team. I'm not saying a Sri Lankan team wouldn't be worthwhile but sometimes playing numbers don't necessarily equal viability. As much as GRR is looking to develop the game they are also looking to develop the commercial side of the equation. The latter being the more vital of the when it comes to long term sustainability of the league.

vCash
    Jeebers! You're not Sir Humphrey Applebee are you?

Player
    vCash
    Jeebers! You're not Sir Humphrey Applebee are you?
    I had to look that reference up. Bit before my time.

vCash
    Jeebers. 2 questions, lots of words and no answers. Maybe you are.

Player
    vCash
    Jeebers. 2 questions, lots of words and no answers. Maybe you are.
    I answered it. Perhaps not as direct as you may have liked but it's in there.

vCash
    Have been monitoring reaction to GRR at both The Roar and Green and Gold Rugby.

It's fair to say that on both these sites there is little/no interest in what's happening with the Western Force.

The Roar

Tom English is trying hard to keep interest alive by commentating on the match-day blog coverage.
    I think GRR is starting to grow on him.
    The Match blog spot doesn't stay on the dashboard for very long.

Mostly until the game is over it's Tom and the chirping of crickets.

Generally slightly more negative contributors than positive contributors.

Rugby Green and Gold

Almost ZERO interest in the 2nd game against SC Tigers.

Nothing is going to succeed as much as ongoing success and good rugby.

I will continue to at least keep the East informed about what's happening but GRR, Minderoo and Western Force we need a continuous flow of new information to grab the attention of those who just want to watch good rugby and are interested in the development of the game.

andrewg (aka ForceFan)

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 01-04-19 at 18:59.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Credit for fighting the good fight, but it is probably worth remembering that they simply aren't the target market for GRR. Good and all if they are interested, but the competition focus has to be getting it right in Asia rather than pandering to Australian interests. They may well even conflict in places...so be it. It still remains to be seen how this all plays out, but the surest sign it is going well may be the circling of wagons in the East.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Have been monitoring reaction to GRR at both The Roar and Green and Gold Rugby.

It's fair to say that on both these sites there is little/no interest in what's happening with the Western Force.

The Roar

Tom English is trying hard to keep interest alive by commentating on the match-day blog coverage.
    I think GRR is starting to grow on him.
    The Match blog spot doesn't stay on the dashboard for very long.

Mostly until the game is over it's Tom and the chirping of crickets.

Generally slightly more negative contributors than positive contributors.

Rugby Green and Gold

Almost ZERO interest in the 2nd game against SC Tigers.

Nothing is going to succeed as much as ongoing success and good rugby.

I will continue to at least keep the East informed about what's happening but GRR, Minderoo and Western Force we need a continuous flow of new information to grab the attention of those who just want to watch good rugby and are interested in the development of the game.

andrewg (aka ForceFan)
    Good work AndrewG. Keep it up

I try to post a comment or two somewhere on Roar most days. I ignore the negative troll type comments and try to make my comments mainly positive. I would say GRR is getting more and more articles and comments by the week, and a lot are positive to GRR.

Twiggy who owns GRR is an Australian, as is Hodgo who is doing most of the GRR legwork. A lot of the Force sponsors like Qantas are Australian companies. We want the eastern Aussies to start watching GRR on TV and enjoying it. If GRR get a side it Western Sydney or Newcastle, interest will take off.

I agree with AndyS, that Asia is the major future market. But I will have to leave Asia to GRR and their local teams marketing people, as I dont speak Japanese, Cantonese, or Malay etc

Player
    vCash
    My personal opinion.... the east will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to accept GRR . The way will be to develop a successful and competitive environment where players want to be involved. I believe GRR has the potential for that . There are local rivalries to be developed everywhere . Singapore / Malaysia . Hong Kong (China) / Japan . Fiji/Samoa Force/East coast/ New Zealand side are a few . These to me are crowd pullers in the future. As an aside you won’t get a Japanese side based in Korea ( history) but this is a mouthwatering rivalry...if a major sponsor can be found in Korea ( corporate) then the fans will turn up ... The Koreans I believe will embrace the GRR concept..it’s up their street . I am very positive for GRR Future !

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by bootsetal06; 03-04-19 at 12:31.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsetal06 View Post
    My personal opinion.... the east will have to dragged kicking and screaming to accept GRR . The way will be to develop a successful and competitive environment where players want to be involved. I believe GRR has the potential for that . There are local rivalries to be developed everywhere . Singapore / Malaysia . Hong Kong (China) / Japan . Fiji/Samoa Force/East coast/ New Zealand side are a few . These to me are crowd pullers in the future. As an aside you won’t get a Japanese side based in Korea ( history) but this is a mouthwatering rivalry...if a major sponsor can be found in Korea ( corporate) then the fans will turn up ... The Koreans I believe will embrace the GRR concept..it’s up their street . I am very positive for GRR Future !
    Boots, I am an optimist as well. There are going to be some more ups and a few downs for GRR, but it will be interesting to see how it pans out in 5-10 years time. Hopefully a bunch of the stars from World Cup 2019 sign up for the various GRR teams.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    https://twitter.com/KagifaS/status/1113561297034076161

Looks like the Kagifa Samoa have started training.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Also looks like they have the backing of Richard Fale

Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 ... LastLast