Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Unless they have special flight and accommodation partners lined up. Force flights at a reasonable price.
    If I were in GRR, I'd be talking to Cathy Pacific, Japan Airlines, Qantas, Singapore, Malaysian, etc, and I'd be surprised if Fijian Airlines aren't a sponsor of their side, if only providing flight deals.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Except Santa is a fairy tale,
    Say it isn't so!!!

Well I believe in a happily ever after!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    If I were in GRR, I'd be talking to Cathy Pacific, Japan Airlines, Qantas, Singapore, Malaysian, etc, and I'd be surprised if Fijian Airlines aren't a sponsor of their side, if only providing flight deals.
    Well he had Qantas as a sponsor this year so you would think they would be partners/codeshare arrangements.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    It isn't rocket surgery. Anyone who has travelled on a few planes would know there is only very few completely booked flights. Even the really booked ones have a seat here or there.

Speak to the airlines, get a slightly above cost price bulk discount (bulk as it is spread over multiple countries over the season) for a selection of the tickets which you sell to the fans for a price which is better or same as the actual retail price but puts a certain margin in your own pocket.

An airline which will turn down guaranteed sales is probably one which isn't a reasonable partner anyhow.

I should be paid for these smart ideas of mine. If you're listening Minderoo I like cash.

Senior Player
    vCash
    This is interesting...

The Force will play teams from Japan, Fiji, Samoa, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia, understood to be backed by South Africa’s Falcons from the Currie Cup first division.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881042516z

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    This is interesting...

The Force will play teams from Japan, Fiji, Samoa, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia, understood to be backed by South Africa’s Falcons from the Currie Cup first division.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881042516z
    Has Hawaii been confirmed yet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Has Hawaii been confirmed yet?
    Nope, seems not. At one stage they were apparently one of the confirmed teams.. I think they got cold feet and launched a bid for a super rugby side as a first preference. That all failed today with the announcement so I reckon they will be back on board with GRR soon enough.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Supe...ected-20181206

SANZAAR shoots down bid for Pacific Islands' Super Rugby team

06:41 06/12/2018

Wellington - An ambitious bid to set up a Pacific Islands Super Rugby team has failed after competition organisers decided it was not commercially viable, the Fiji Rugby Union said on Thursday.

READ: SANZAAR dismisses Super 14 talks as 'speculative'

Including a Pacific team in the southern hemisphere competition was seen as a game-changer for rugby in the islands, a hotbed of talent where top players have long headed overseas to chase more lucrative opportunities.

Fiji rugby chief John O'Connor confirmed that a joint bid from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga was submitted in June to Super Rugby governing body SANZAAR, which is currently examining how the competition will be structured from 2021 to 2030.

He said SANZAAR had praised aspects of the bid but ultimately rejected it on commercial grounds, saying it could not deliver "commercial uplift in both broadcasting and guaranteed underwrite".

"(This) would render the viability of a Pacific Super team under the proposed SANZAAR commercial model unsustainable," O'Connor said in a statement.

The Fiji Rugby Union did not detail the costings outlined in the bid but the Pacific Rugby Players' Association said it would have required a minimum annual investment of $12 million.

"The decision was made within the Pacific that financially it didn't stack up," association chief Aayden Clarke told Radio New Zealand.

"The losers in that, if they were to put all their eggs in that basket of having a (Super Rugby) franchise team, would probably be community rugby and club rugby."

Rugby fans have floated the idea of a combined Pacific team for years but it has always floundered on economic grounds.

The remote islands lack the economic base to attract major sponsors, facilities are poor and the financially strapped rugby unions of all three nations have faced major governance issues in recent years.

In the meantime, their best players have left for New Zealand, Australia and Europe.

The Super Rugby competition currently has 15 teams playing in five nations that straddle numerous timezones, making salaries and accommodation expensive.

SANZAAR has struggled prevent the competition becoming bloated while also expanding into new markets, culling the number of teams from 18 to 15 for the 2018 season.

Further changes are afoot from 2021, with reports in Australia suggesting Japan's underperforming Sunwolves could be the latest team to face the axe.

SANZAAR has refused to comment, saying no final decisions have been made.

Champion
    vCash
    Hawaii was never going to be in Super Rugby. If I remember there was a story about Richard Fale the millionaire behind the team saying SANZAAR had asked him for millions and then wouldn't guarantee him anything. He used the Force as an example.

vCash
    It is also pretty clear that Fiji are going to join Twiggy. The Super Rugby bid has been talked up for years but never going to happen. Every time there is a Super Rugby match there teams are out of pocket.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    SANZAAR isn’t interested in anything that doesn’t bring in lots of money. It’s a business and has no social conscience

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    SANZAAR isn’t interested in anything that doesn’t bring in lots of money. It’s a business and has no social conscience
    Well they didnt even want a team that was going to donate $70million to the game in Australia and become self sustainable so that puts to bed that theory... infact it just confirms this whole mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Well they didnt even want a team that was going to donate $70million to the game in Australia and become self sustainable so that puts to bed that theory... infact it just confirms this whole mess.
    That was Clyne, not SANZAAR

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    That was Clyne, not SANZAAR
    Let's not pretend they are not one and the same when representing Australian interests

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    or rugby interests

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Senior Player
    vCash
    AP Dragons is the Singapore team for Rapid Rugby. Otago-based coach Ryan Martin will be their new on-field boss.

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/sc...ew-competition

Friday, 7 December 2018
    Martin to coach in Singapore in new competition

By Steve Hepburn

Otago Boys' High School First XV coach Ryan Martin has landed a job in Singapore coaching the Asia Pacific Dragons in the new Global Rapid Rugby competition.

Martin will be the head coach and will have to get a side together to be ready to play in a couple of months.

The Global Rapid Rugby competition is the brainchild of Australian mining billionaire Andrew Forrest, who was a vocal critic of the decision to dump the Western Force from the Super Rugby competition in 2017.

Forrest organised a series of games involving the Force in the middle of this year and has now come up with the Rapid Rugby competition which involves sides based in southeast Asia and Australia and Fiji.

Martin has an impressive coaching pedigree and has always wanted to move up the coaching ladder.

He has coached the Otago Boys' High School First XV since 2011 and has always had the school side team in the top echelon nationally. It won the Highlanders competition four years in a row before the competition was disbanded after the 2015 season. It won the Otago premier schools competition this year, beating John McGlashan College in the final.

He also coached Otago age-group sides, the Kaikorai premier side, and the New Zealand Schools Barbarians team for three seasons.

This season he was appointed as the attack coach for the Otago Mitre 10 Cup side, a position in which he impressed.

Martin, who is in his late 30s, left for Singapore earlier this week. He will head a side which has played a few games over the years but this will be its first serious stint in playing in a fully competitive competition.

Martin, a former premier club halfback, has always held ambitions of wanting to be a fulltime professional coach in the sport and now gets that opportunity.

He is a meticulous planner and smart operator who has a real passion for the game.

It is unclear where the players for the Dragons will come from but Martin may have to look back to New Zealand for players as rugby is not a major sport in Singapore.

The Sunwolves have some games in Singapore in the past couple of years in front of sparse crowds.

The Japanese franchise is scheduled to play two games in Singapore next season.

The Rapid Rugby competition involves eight teams from Australia, Fiji, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Samoa, Singapore and one other county, believed to be the United States.

The preseason will start next month with the competition set to begin in February and run through until June.

The games will be played under different laws created to make the sport more attractive for the spectator and have the ball in action for longer.

Games last for 70 minutes, and there are time limits for scrums and lineouts. Players can no longer kick to touch on the full from behind their own 22m line.

Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast