Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 706 to 720 of 863

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

  1. #706
    Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    439
    vCash
    5168000
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    I honestly couldn't care less whether or not you believe me. And I don't have to justify my conversations to anyone.
    Relax, asking for the source has nothing to do with believing you or not. It's about evaluating the info itself.

    How hard is it to provide a link?

    I've found your forum anyway and the post which triggered said conversation. None of the post content is secret info, and it's on a well known rugby chat site.

    What are you trying to do, protect a 'scoop' here? ... If so inclined (altho not at the moment) I could easily enough chat to the bloke myself.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #707
    Champion andrewg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,251
    vCash
    5362000
    There's always lots of talk and there's nothing wrong with considering alternatives and possibilities.
    There's no doubt that there will even be some excitement about this possibility in Krasnoyarsk.
    There will be Oligarch/s who would get behind such a move in much the same way as Abramovich got behind Chelsea FC.

    I was fortunate enough to have spent 2 years in Russia prior to the GFC. Our regional office was located in Krasnoyarsk.
    Krasnoyarsk is certainly the home of good rugby in Russia.
    I've stood in the snow and watched games on grassless pitches.

    Krasnoyarsk is the capital of the region with a population of >1 Million.
    It is located in the magnificent Yenisei River and as it is only about 450m above sea level has a milder climate than most of Siberia. It is a prosperous city due to the large Aluminium Industry. It is located on the Trans-Siberian Railway.

    Although milder it is still very cold for all but 4-5 months of the year (May - Sep).
    March average temps are ~0 deg C to -10 deg C. April +8 to -3. May +17 to +5. June +22 to +10.
    It's not a good fit with Asia/Pacific during the period March to June.

    However, IMO, to include Krasnoyarsk in the initial stages of GRR is impractical.
    Much like Argentina, Krasnoyarsk doesn't fit well with any other competition.
    It's a better fit with Northern Hemi competitions.

    Krasnoyarsk is 1 hour behind Perth.
    Total travel time from Perth to Krasnoyarsk is about 20 hours (at best).
    Even gaining Tourist Visas can be a slow process/hassle and it is difficult to travel cheaply.
    The easiest way is with an organised tour group. The Russians will be only too happy to take your $$s.

    Krasnoyarsk teams may fit into one of the expansions for GRR (but probably not the 1st or 2nd) and could eventually be part of a Northern Conference in our time zone.
    I'd certainly be interested in a Conference winners playoff in Krasnoyarsk between a Krasnoyarsk team and the Western Force.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 27-04-19 at 08:59.

  3. #708
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    231
    vCash
    5260000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    Relax, asking for the source has nothing to do with believing you or not. It's about evaluating the info itself.

    How hard is it to provide a link?

    I've found your forum anyway and the post which triggered said conversation. None of the post content is secret info, and it's on a well known rugby chat site.

    What are you trying to do, protect a 'scoop' here? ... If so inclined (altho not at the moment) I could easily enough chat to the bloke myself.
    The post is well known. But I've been chatting with someone else off the site. I don't like giving out details before they say so because otherwise they stop telling me things. For the record. That's actually not guy I'm talking to.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #709
    Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    439
    vCash
    5168000
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    The post is well known. But I've been chatting with someone else off the site. I don't like giving out details before they say so because otherwise they stop telling me things. For the record. That's actually not guy I'm talking to.
    Okay mate ... lemme provide some information to the TWF board, in that case

    In a response today to a query about whether the Top League would be amateur:

    DotJP wrote:

    It is a debatable point in Japan too, and I needed to check the issue.
    The answer is No. They can't make the new professional league, even though they know it is necessary for Japan. As the present Japanese circumstances,

    ⅰ, about 70% (Japanese?) players are amateur.
    ⅱ, the rates of professional players in teams are largely different in the league.
    ⅲ, players who make professional contracts are decreasing these days.

    So, they can't make it. They would maintain the current league system in this point. And they said it depends on club teams whether players are professional or not. In addition to them, it is said by some media that Sunwolves is a role model for top league teams in order to change into professional leagues, but they are going to lose that guideline because of axing Sunwolves.

    Apart from this issue and talking about Sunwolves, the other day, JRFU admitted some executives had opposed challenging Super Rugby. So many Japanese fans are disappointed in it and their attitude which is disunited inside but dogmatic outside, and habitus of keeping things secret. JRFU will change executives in June, but we don't know how they change.

    http://t2rugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3...rt=525#p107186

    This is interesting. 16 teams in the league plus another 8 contending for promo/relegation. Rates of pro contracts decreasing. It's too big a leap to take the league pro so their mixed industrial league with some marquees continues.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #710
    Veteran chibi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chinatown, Roe St
    Posts
    2,616
    vCash
    5252000
    I wonder if Twiggy could take the money he offered RA and offer it to them for inclusion instead?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!


    Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

    Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

  6. #711
    Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Far South-West of Sydney
    Posts
    231
    vCash
    5260000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    Okay mate ... lemme provide some information to the TWF board, in that case

    In a response today to a query about whether the Top League would be amateur:

    DotJP wrote:

    It is a debatable point in Japan too, and I needed to check the issue.
    The answer is No. They can't make the new professional league, even though they know it is necessary for Japan. As the present Japanese circumstances,

    ⅰ, about 70% (Japanese?) players are amateur.
    ⅱ, the rates of professional players in teams are largely different in the league.
    ⅲ, players who make professional contracts are decreasing these days.

    So, they can't make it. They would maintain the current league system in this point. And they said it depends on club teams whether players are professional or not. In addition to them, it is said by some media that Sunwolves is a role model for top league teams in order to change into professional leagues, but they are going to lose that guideline because of axing Sunwolves.

    Apart from this issue and talking about Sunwolves, the other day, JRFU admitted some executives had opposed challenging Super Rugby. So many Japanese fans are disappointed in it and their attitude which is disunited inside but dogmatic outside, and habitus of keeping things secret. JRFU will change executives in June, but we don't know how they change.

    http://t2rugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3...rt=525#p107186

    This is interesting. 16 teams in the league plus another 8 contending for promo/relegation. Rates of pro contracts decreasing. It's too big a leap to take the league pro so their mixed industrial league with some marquees continues.
    Saw that. Issue is, changing the season puts it in direct conflict with GRR which could cause issues with any prospective existing club participating.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #712
    Veteran Bakkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,310
    vCash
    5118000
    The Russian teams are a no go. Visa issues, costs and travel times. They have had to play some of their European matches away from their fan bases.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'


    https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

    Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

    https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

  8. #713
    Immortal Book Maker
    Contributor
    Moderator
    travelling_gerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    18,122
    vCash
    5320000
    Tong Master Dry July! 141 Club Award TWF Competition Runner Up! MO-vember Donator TWF Contributor!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #714
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,603
    vCash
    5348000
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881181013z

    Fale's group missed out on a bid for NRL's New Zealand Warriors and then turned down the idea of committing to a Super Rugby franchise.

    "You can’t ask guys to put in $50 million to launch a Super Rugby team and then have the licence yanked from under you like they did to the Western Force and the Sunwolves,” he said.

    "There were issues with Super Rugby and its commercial viability that we were not impressed with.

    "It has to do with ownership rights, they could drop you from the competition whenever they wanted. It was a major problem with our investments because there's no security.

    "Rapid Rugby allows for security for our investors. It allows us to build an asset that will grow in value as well as deliver a much needed product on the field with Pacific Island teams."

    Fale's syndicate initially wanted a GRR side based in Hawaii but it was not sanctioned by the US Rugby Union.

    "That side will have to wait but I absolutely see a future for Hawaii in Rapid Rugby," Fale said
    So it was the US rugby Union that didnt sanction the Hawaiian team. Which now explains alot after they were considered a certainty at the beginning of GRR.

    I love how Fale gets stuck into the business model of Super Rugby, about the uncertainty of having your team ripped from the competition after putting up huge sizable investments. Just shows what a joke competition super rugby has become, they are using new teams as cash cows to fund their train wreck of a competition for a few more years by adding and then tearing teams in and out of the lifeless competition, Fale obviously see the value in a solid lengthly investment with a lucrative businessman than working with the clowns running SANZAAR.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #715
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    12,618
    vCash
    5368000
    The Bronze Star of Faith TWF Contributor!
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    "International Entrepreneur", eh? Good to see GRR keeping in the media but after a little research on Mr Fale it comes across as a real puff piece. Let's hope Fale lives up to his job description.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #716
    Veteran Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    4,702
    vCash
    5100000
    TWF Contributor! 141 Club Award
    Comes across as "GRR would never act the way SR did" though, which is a big line in the sand. A few teams seem obvious, but there still seems to be all sorts of rubbish flying around as to who else. If Fale is right, then I hope they are sure as to who they pick - their future will be bound to them and they could be stuck with them for a long time.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #717
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    591
    vCash
    5156000
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Comes across as "GRR would never act the way SR did" though, which is a big line in the sand. A few teams seem obvious, but there still seems to be all sorts of rubbish flying around as to who else. If Fale is right, then I hope they are sure as to who they pick - their future will be bound to them and they could be stuck with them for a long time.
    There is a difference between cutting teams because they need to be and cutting teams like SR did. Super Rugby cut teams in the worst way possible by going behind people's backs, doing dirty deals (see senate inquiry or RA's and NZR's 'supposed' backing of the sunwolves weeks before they were cut). SRs criteria for cutting teams was flawed. Getting rid of the sunwolves who most likely have the biggest crowds in SR is just darn stupid. Getting rid of the Force who had started developing local players and had the 3rd biggest rugby participation rate outside NSW and QLD in Australia and who had the backing of a billionaire and had the most lucrative sponsorship deal in the whole of Australian rugby. Cutting an established team with lots of history like the cheetahs. There is a difference between cutting a team cause they are just not working out and cutting a team for the sake of cutting a team and hoping that fixes your failing competition. But yes, lets hope GRR never have to worry about cutting a team as no matter the reason for cutting, it is always horrible to have to do.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by volvo; 28-04-19 at 11:58.

  13. #718
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    591
    vCash
    5156000

    https://www.facebook.com/IconSportin...nSlV9Q&theater

    Have to say, the kagifa samoa jersey looks pretty sleek.

    6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #719
    Veteran sittingbison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Freo
    Posts
    2,757
    vCash
    5230000
    Yup that's certainly a very well designed jersey

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

  15. #720
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    18,302
    vCash
    5356000
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Yup that's certainly a very well designed jersey
    Yup. i hope their alternate strip looks shite, we don't want them wearing that at [insert heath fund name here] Stadium

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. World Series Rugby goes Global
    By travelling_gerry in forum Western Force
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-18, 20:42
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-03-18, 20:35
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-05-14, 18:01
  4. RABBIT'S RAPID FIRE RESPONSE
    By RugbyWA in forum News Feeds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-10, 13:50
  5. Global rugby competition touted
    By Flamethrower in forum Rugby
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-02-08, 23:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •