Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    It's already been posted elsewhere......the FaceBook page of Global Rugby - Asia Pacific Rugby revolution has NOTHING to do with Global Rapid Rugby. We're unlikely to find out any news first from this FaceBook page.

I can still be patient but the longer it takes it's looking like 6 teams or another season on invitational games with the likely candidates.
    Perhaps this time Home and Away games or mini-series.

World Rugby's delays and the RWC year must feature highly in the reasons for delays.

The way the lads are training any opposition needs to bring their A team.
    Ofcourse its fake news. It was a pisstake. I didn't think anyone was taking that announcement too seriously. But we were all hoping for something. I woke up that day and there was some news, and it was genuine. It was all the Otago players heading to Singapore, 12 of them, and an Otago coach, so something did get announced on that page, yes it wasnt official but there was still news 48hrs after the announcement and I genuinely found that article about the huge Otago presence propping the singapore dragons exciting and was some of the best news we have had in months.

Also that fan page is bloody good and the GRR guys should take note at just how active It is and just how much positive news/stories come from there, it's more active than the official page, plus it's more up to date than alot of places on the web, and acts as a central facebook hub for GRR news stories. It's obviously a very serious passionate fan who created that facebook fan page and made by someone who absolutely loves the GRR concept. Infact I wish the owner of that fan page posted here, he seems like a great guy who would be welcome here by most of us given his passion and excitement for the GRR concept, plus the page would take alot of that person's time to maintain, which he does for nothing but love for the game and Andrew Forrest vision. Basically we all knows it's not the official page, but it ain't fake, it's a genuine fan page and I hope the owner maintains it long term, especially over the life of the GRR tournament..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    According to a poster on Planet Rugby who is apparently good friends with someone in the OPS dept of GRR Fiji is confirmed at it looks likely they'll go with 6 teams to start.
    That place is usually full of shit. And most of the guys over there are actually really bad trolls and not alot of actual discussion is made on that forum except jealous super rugby fans crying over spilt milk complaining that GRR is gonna kill the super rugby concept, the same fans that didnt blink an eye when the force was kicked out and now feel threatened by Forrests vision to expand rugby into Asia and the pacific at a pro level. But he does live there in HK and is active in the rugby community so if that user thinks the team is confirmed then he may be pretty close to the mark. I dont have much time for that user in particular as he is a bit like the mods at Greenandgold rugby, a douche bag, but yeah given his history and the location being the headquarters of GRR which is where he lives and breaths his rugby, on this occasions I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe Fiji is official.

So that makes the following teams basically confirmed

The Force (confirmed)

Hong Kong (headquarters)

Singapore (hired 12 otago players and an Otago coach)- they will be menacing to play against

Fiji (announced they would make an official announcement soon but look to be in the final stages of negotiations)- and rumored to be confirmed by a user in Hong Kong.

Japans Wildknights -Forrest was adamant atleast the Panasonic Wildknights were gonna make it, and recent media has highlighted Japan as still being in..

Samoa- may get lumped in with Hawaii, but nothing official, may become a polynesian all star side too.. unconfirmed but they did make it to the World Series Rugby exhibition matches

Hawaii- not much news after they make such a big deal about joining a pro comp, let's hope no news is good news but let's hope the entrepreneurs putting that team together put there money where their mouth is and confirm their attendance. Will be a travesty after all their bullshit about wanting to play pro rugby and not taking the most perfect opportunity to play in a tournament free from World Rugby politics- which is a cesspit these days

An odd number of teams can still participate, just means a bye every week.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I see it more like this in terms of 2019 teams:

In:
    Force, HK, Singapore (3)

Confident:
    Malaysia, Fiji (2)

Possible:
    Japan-1 (1)

Doubtful:
    Samoa, Hawaii, Japan-2 (3)

Out:
    West Syd, NZ (2)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post

In:
    Force, HK, Singapore (3)

Confident:
    Malaysia, Fiji (2)

Possible:
    Japan-1 (1)

Doubtful:
    Samoa, Hawaii, Japan-2 (3)

Out:
    West Syd, NZ (2)
    Malaysia seems hopeful but there was a fair bit of news about Hawaii earlier in the piece and all the media seem to be including them, I dont see alot about Malaysia except for the Valke connection and most reports seem hesitant to include them. I am hopeful the make it in though. But Hawaii had the financial backing to put a pro team together by a very rich man so I wouldnt rule that out too soon. Plus there is no news in super rugby about wanting to include Hawaii, infact the complete opposite with SANZAAR wanting to shrink super rugby into obscurity with the rumours that the Sunwolves will get the chop.

Champion
    vCash
    [QUOTE=Kiap;463968]I see it more like this in terms of 2019 teams:

In:
    Force, HK, Singapore (3)

Confident:
    Malaysia, Fiji (2)

I reckon that's pretty close with Samoa the sixth side

vCash
    [QUOTE=wholetruth;463981]

In:
    Force, HK, Singapore (3)

Confident:
    Malaysia, Fiji (2)

Hopefully Malaysia is on board. If not then its gotta be Japan and Hawaii or Samoa making up the 6.

Have we got an update on the Valke connection? If that's not going ahead any possible news to suggest Malaysia is still a consideration. Its strange how none of the reports seem to pick up Malaysia at the moment but still say Hawaii and Japan.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post

In:
    Force, HK, Singapore (3)

Confident:
    Malaysia, Fiji (2)
    Okay, I'm now upgrading Fiji to "in" ...

https://www.sportspeople.com.au/jobs...ji-rugby-union

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Okay, I'm now upgrading Fiji to "in" ...

https://www.sportspeople.com.au/jobs...ji-rugby-union

Definitely look in. They basically announced the other day that they were confirmed and were going to announce something soon. Looks like it's pretty much official.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Have we got an update on the Valke connection?
    Only what was already posted a month ago when they completed an agreement with the Malaysians.

IMO the question is not so much about Saffer involvement, but what's occurring (or has occurred) on the ground in KL/Borneo.

Until news filters out from that, they don't get my ® upgrade to "in" status™.

Champion
    vCash
    Remember Alison pointed out that in this story there was no mention of Japan.
    Perhaps Nick Taylor was right but I just wish we could get an announcement

GRR, bankrolled by mining magnate Andrew Forrest, kicks off in March with the Force set to play sides from Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia for a $1 million prize.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881078432z

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Remember Alison pointed out that in this story there was no mention of Japan.
    Perhaps Nick Taylor was right but I just wish we could get an announcement

GRR, bankrolled by mining magnate Andrew Forrest, kicks off in March with the Force set to play sides from Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia for a $1 million prize.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881078432z
    Yeah Nick Taylor is usually pretty close to the mark. But there were two more articles which came out after that article that still mentioned Japan and Hawaii (albeit not from Nick), it is all very confusing, especially when one of the articles mentioned a bunch of preseason trial matches for GRR were only weeks away. No news is good news though so we can hope these announcement delays are just them putting the rubber stamp on each of the teams prior to annoucning something that hasn't been made official yet.

vCash
    I think the complications presented by this being a RWC year is probably what’s putting a few spokes in the wheel.

vCash
    It will actually benefit Fiji and Samoa in a RWC year as they will have a more professional set up at home.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Malaysia seems hopeful but there was a fair bit of news about Hawaii earlier in the piece and all the media seem to be including them, I dont see alot about Malaysia except for the Valke connection and most reports seem hesitant to include them. I am hopeful the make it in though. But Hawaii had the financial backing to put a pro team together by a very rich man so I wouldnt rule that out too soon. Plus there is no news in super rugby about wanting to include Hawaii, infact the complete opposite with SANZAAR wanting to shrink super rugby into obscurity with the rumours that the Sunwolves will get the chop.
    Very disappointing if there is no Japanese team in GRR

Senior Player
    vCash
    Dont know how true or not....

Forrest takes a hit following postponement of new rugby competition

Global Rapid Rugby has been postponed until 2020 in a major blow to billionaire mining magnate Andrew Forrest and his vision for an Asia-Pacific rugby competition.

The Herald understands Forrest made the difficult call to push back the competition for one year on the eve of its mooted March kick-off after failing to clinch deals with two of the six teams - the Malaysian and Samoan sides - slated for its first season.

The Western Force, Hong Kong and Singapore teams were understood to be ready for the season, with squads in training for much of the past month, while Fiji was on track to make the deadline.

Forrest is expected to make the announcement later today.
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...31-p50uqt.html

Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast