Thread: Alaalatoa signs on through to 2023 World Cup

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Alaalatoa signs on through to 2023 World Cup

Today at 9:00 AM International
    by Sam Phillips

Allan Alaalatoa isn't going anywhere, signing a four year extension with the Brumbies and Rugby Australia which will keep him in the country until the 2023 World Cup.

The 24-year-old prop has taken serious strides this season after largely featuring for the Wallabies off the bench in 2017.
    His form forced Sekope Kepu out of the starting XV when the Wallabies fell to the All Blacks in Auckland and his constant presence in the 23 since that match is indicative of the esteem in which coach Michael Cheika holds the Brumbies tighthead.

He displaced Taniela Tupou in the Australian No. 3 jersey against the All Blacks in Yokohama and that job at the World Cup is now his to lose.

“I was already contracted for next year but when the opportunity came up to stay until the next Rugby World Cup, I discussed it with my family and the decision was a pretty easy one," he said.

“There’s a great future ahead for the Wallabies. We have a young squad that’s developing each year so I’m just excited to hopefully be part of this group and what it can achieve.

“There was a bit of interest from overseas which is always something you consider but for me, first and foremost, was to stay with Australian Rugby and the Brumbies.

“We have a tough camp here (in Odawara, Japan) this week and a bit of a review from the disappointing result against the All Blacks. Really looking forward to the three Tests over in the UK. It’s going to be tough but it’s something the boys are keen for,” Alaalatoa said.

In Japan last week Cheika said he views the young tighthead as a leader within this Wallabies group.

"We know it's a seed project around leadership in our team and we haven't had that generation have it passed down to them," Cheika said.

"Even though it's a young leadership team Allan is a huge part of that and he will be part of that leadership team for a long time."

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/10...-contract-2023

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Do you think the threat of WSR/IPRC is what is causing all of these long term contracts? I can't recall a time when so many players were being signed for such long periods?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    And worrying if he's signed a deal with a Wallaby top-up until 2023, too. What happens if his form drops off, or another young prop emerges and takes his Wallaby spot?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    And worrying if he's signed a deal with a Wallaby top-up until 2023, too. What happens if his form drops off, or another young prop emerges and takes his Wallaby spot?
    It's all part of creating financial ruin and fufilling the prophecy of destroying Rugby Union in Australia so that AFL and NRL can reign supreme for a century.

Phase 1 complete - destroy potential growth regions

Phase 2 Initiated

vCash
    What happens if his form drops off, or another young prop emerges and takes his Wallaby spot?
    Cut the Brumbies for "Grassroots funding"

vCash
    There won’t be another emerging young prop as he’ll be heading off to Europe to make big dollars. Why bother hanging around here for the next few years while the ARU try and get value for money from the incumbents?

These 4,5,6 year deals will surely lead to exactly the same level of arrogance and sense of entitlement as were so heavily criticised in Australian cricket yesterday.

Way to grow the game ARU. *slow hand clap*

Last edited by Alison; 30-10-18 at 18:25.
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    its pathetic

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Player
    vCash
    Complete crock of shit . A juvenile and short sighted attempt to plug a leaking bucket . Another blow to any young up and coming players....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!