Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Sony Tablet S - Operating System

  1. #1
    Veteran Ecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,891
    vCash
    5004000

    Sony Tablet S - Operating System

    Hi there Geeks

    I have a Sony Tablet S which says it had the most up-to-date OS installed. I wish to install a particular app but cannot do it.

    I gather the tablet is no longer supported, being so incredibly old. I also there is some way of still doing stuff, quaintly called "rooting".

    I gather things but have no idea what to do, how to do it and if I should even if I could.

    Discuss

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,871
    vCash
    5000000
    If your device does not support a version of android that the app requires then you are screwed. Tablets only cost around $150 these days depending on screen size so I recommend you upgrade your device.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    15,965
    vCash
    5678000
    Well I was thinking of junking my Lenovo tab. But if any geeks answer Ecky, could you also think on this: when I boot the thing I get a dialog box saying"Google Play services keeps stopping - close app?"
    Do that and it reappears before I can do anything else. Maybe mine's already rooted.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David


  4. #4
    (formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    14,234
    vCash
    282778
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Hi there Geeks

    I have a Sony Tablet S which says it had the most up-to-date OS installed. I wish to install a particular app but cannot do it.

    I gather the tablet is no longer supported, being so incredibly old. I also there is some way of still doing stuff, quaintly called "rooting".

    I gather things but have no idea what to do, how to do it and if I should even if I could.

    Discuss
    Looks like it might be too old to update to any thing recent. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sony-tablet-s

    A new tablet may be in order...

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

  5. #5
    (formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    14,234
    vCash
    282778
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well I was thinking of junking my Lenovo tab. But if any geeks answer Ecky, could you also think on this: when I boot the thing I get a dialog box saying"Google Play services keeps stopping - close app?"
    Do that and it reappears before I can do anything else. Maybe mine's already rooted.
    Sounds it maybe a factory reset?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

  6. #6
    Champion SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,871
    vCash
    5000000
    Darren, what do I spent my vast fortunes of vCash on? I'm drowning in riches here.

    Btw if you ever need a loan hit me up

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    15,965
    vCash
    5678000
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Sounds it maybe a factory reset?
    That dialogue box reappears within a second or two. Can't get to the settings. To complicate matters, it happened while away on hols and I had locked most apps. Rooted?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    6,110
    vCash
    9112664
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Hi there Geeks

    I have a Sony Tablet S which says it had the most up-to-date OS installed. I wish to install a particular app but cannot do it.

    I gather the tablet is no longer supported, being so incredibly old. I also there is some way of still doing stuff, quaintly called "rooting".

    I gather things but have no idea what to do, how to do it and if I should even if I could.

    Discuss

    Can't do it due to lack of space or because the appstore says the app is incompatible?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

  9. #9
    Veteran Ecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,891
    vCash
    5004000
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Can't do it due to lack of space or because the appstore says the app is incompatible?
    incompatible

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    6,110
    vCash
    9112664
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    incompatible
    new tablet then (or a different app that is compatible with old tablet)

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

  11. #11
    Veteran Ecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,891
    vCash
    5004000
    Thanks all. While you have been informative, it's not the news I was hoping for

    ...and the app in question is a referee coaching app. One of a kind. Dagnabit. Technology - who needs it?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    15,965
    vCash
    5678000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post

    ...and the app in question is a referee coaching app. One of a kind. Dagnabit. Technology - who needs it?
    Should be available in Braille if you don't want to splurge on a new tab. You could consider sending 3 copies to Glen Jackson and his two buddies after yesterdays NPC final, even though Auckland overcame them in the end.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David


  13. #13
    (formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    14,234
    vCash
    282778
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That dialogue box reappears within a second or two. Can't get to the settings. To complicate matters, it happened while away on hols and I had locked most apps. Rooted?
    You should be able to factory reset before or loads up. Something like this : https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo+Ideatab+A1000+Wipe+Data+-+Factory+Reset+(Hard+Reset)/24304

    Search 'hard reset' and the model of tablet.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

  14. #14
    Veteran Ecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,891
    vCash
    5004000
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Should be available in Braille if you don't want to splurge on a new tab. You could consider sending 3 copies to Glen Jackson and his two buddies after yesterdays NPC final, even though Auckland overcame them in the end.
    Steady on ol' chap: it's a ref coaching app; not a reffing app. Looks like you could provide a coaching report to Jacko.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    15,965
    vCash
    5678000
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    You should be able to factory reset before or loads up. Something like this : https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo+Ideatab+A1000+Wipe+Data+-+Factory+Reset+(Hard+Reset)/24304

    Search 'hard reset' and the model of tablet.
    Thanks Coach!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 09-05-17, 22:22
  2. Rooted Tablet
    By shasta in forum Geek Speak
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-13, 21:15
  3. Review - ASUS NEXUS 7 Android Tablet
    By .X. in forum Geek Speak
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-09-12, 06:44
  4. What operating system do you prefer
    By pieter blackie in forum Geek Speak
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 21-07-10, 21:42
  5. Sony Digital Video Camera Recorder
    By The Lone Hydrangea in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-08-08, 09:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •