Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Time running out to see if Twiggy Forrest can ruck and roll

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Looks like you were right JSJ
    Talking to a mate over few beers tonight, he commented that if the lawyers got into this thing, potential onwers/operators of the Western Sydney team could go after a "restraint of trade claim". I am no lawyer and nor is he, but to a layman this does look like restraint of trade by NSWRU trying stop a "competitor" starting up in their back yard, purely own the flimsy grounds

There won’t be a World Series Rugby team based there next year,” Hore said of the proposal to base a WSC franchise in western Sydney. “There is a lot of work to be done around western Sydney and no-body is saying no to that. I think it is just making sure it is done in an effective way. Our whole focus is on unifying the game so anything we do needs to be tied to our new governance model and has the full support of the rugby community. Otherwise you just end up with another fracture.

“That is still open for discussion but everyone is of the opinion it could all be too quickly. And of course you have 2020 on the horizon and the renegotiations of where rugby will be after that.

“We had one meeting with his (Forrest’s) representatives. Everyone is of the agreement that you can have a professional team built on sand. It just doesn’t work. So all the other variables that make a team like that sustainable and even potentially whether it will go ahead at all…..it needs further discussion.

To try to turn around and get a professional team in place by next March … nobody has got the resources, probably outside of Twiggy’s group….at the end of the day, we have to look after 100,000 rugby players in our own state with everything else going on. It’s a lot of work.”

Anyway from the Nick Taylor piece in The West, it sounds like Twiggy is going to let it go and move on with more teams from elsewhere. We dont need anymore court cases.
    However if RA, NZRU and SANZAAR pressure Japan into blocking multiple Japanese teams from joining WSR on similar grounds, whose knows? If there are 2-4 top Japanese teams playing WSR, will they still be required to release their players to the Sunwolves playing in Super rugby at the same time as WSR?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    The Brumbies were the only start up team to be successful on the pitch from the go
    That was because when they were set up, all the teams were in the same boat taking their first steps into professionalism. Had they been delayed by a few years, they would have been playing catch-up and IMO would have struggled in exactly the same way the Force and Rebels did. Should they ever do the right thing by the NRC, I doubt they'll learn the lesson either.

The Sunwolves will probably fit in to WSR
    Always thought that a good possibility. Hard enough for a country like Australia to be in two different competitions, but it is a circumstance of their own making. IMO Japan would be best served by multiple teams playing in a 'local' competition, in which they can be a senior and equal partner. Coming out of hosting a RWC, I think they would be much better served by that than by SR.

vCash
    Talking to a mate over few beers tonight, he commented that if the lawyers got into this thing, potential onwers/operators of the Western Sydney team could go after a "restraint of trade claim". I am no lawyer and nor is he, but to a layman this does look like restraint of trade by NSWRU trying stop a "competitor" starting up in their back yard, purely own the flimsy grounds
    Yep I have always said there is little way possible for them to do that and particularly from the point of the SRU who have little money along with players not on contracts.

Not sure if Sanzaar can stop the Japanese given that they aren't a partner of SANZAAR and the Sunwolves have had to let some of their players go due to their clubs. Yamada is a good example. He was one of the top try scorers in the competition but couldn't play the following season due to his club contract.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    It's certainly something I've been thinking of, a way for RANZR to extract the money out of Twiggy that they missed out on when RA rejected the 70mill... A way to fund Western Sydney and a sixth Kiwi pro-team with Twiggy's money...

Stupor Rugby??!! Hey! You stole that off me! At least put a trademark next to it, Alison! Stupor Rugby™
    Soz Chibi!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Talking to a mate over few beers tonight, he commented that if the lawyers got into this thing, potential onwers/operators of the Western Sydney team could go after a "restraint of trade claim"...........

There won’t be a World Series Rugby team based there next year,” Hore said of the proposal to base a WSC franchise in western Sydney. “There is a lot of work to be done around western Sydney and no-body is saying no to that........

Anyway from the Nick Taylor piece in The West, it sounds like Twiggy is going to let it go and move on
    Given that it was pretty much a lay down misere that the clowns in the Moore Park circus would run obstruction, I would not be surprised if the whole NZ/GWS gambit was a decoy. When they looked up from their collective navel gazing a certain clever ex-scrummie had bolted down the short side carrying a big ticked box under his arm.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Given that it was pretty much a lay down misere that the clowns in the Moore Park circus would run obstruction, I would not be surprised if the whole NZ/GWS gambit was a decoy. When they looked up from their collective navel gazing a certain clever ex-scrummie had bolted down the short side carrying a big ticked box under his arm.
    Those clowns did WA with their Alliance agreement decoy last year and shot off down the blindside with our team under their arm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Welcome to the conversation. I said that the day after he announced it

C'mon the

vCash
    I know a while back there was some talk of Japan looking to expand the Top-League into eastern Asia, but it was put on the backburner once the SunWolves came along. I wonder if WSR and the Top-League could be a combined competition? Something like the two leagues in Major League Baseball, with separate pennants, maybe crossing over in the finals.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    It's kind of funny, I thought RA/NZR were concerned about losing players overseas. I can't see many players feeling the need to stick around with less Super Rugby teams, major question marks about the future of Super Rugby itself, and WSR now not being able to offer a source of income to anyone outside of Perth.

vCash
    I know a while back there was some talk of Japan looking to expand the Top-League into eastern Asia, but it was put on the backburner once the SunWolves came along. I wonder if WSR and the Top-League could be a combined competition? Something like the two leagues in Major League Baseball, with separate pennants, maybe crossing over in the finals.
    I hope not. What could be a goer is for X number of Top League teams be included in WSR. JRFU already have a promotion and relegation set up for regional teams to qualify. Perhaps this could be expanded into a full national comp with entry to WSR if the JRFU sees benefit in it? As usual, season timing and climate are difficult issues.

vCash
    I was thinking of a cross-over finals, maybe the top two or three each leading up to a finals. It would possibly give us different Japanese qualifiers every year. Plus, if a deal could be struck, the weekly WSR highlights show could feature footage from both leagues, to build brand awareness of the Japanese teams, so fans would have a level of interest in seeing the finals series.

IPRC + Top League >>> World Series Rugby finals.

Winners of the pennant head to the World Series, hmmm, has a ring to it.

But of course, the seasons would be out of sync.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Particularly dumb is that a lot of contracts are up due to the RWC. Players who know they won't make it will seek a release. Jaco Kriel hinted there will be a big exodus from SA so he signed his contract with Gloucester early.

I was thinking of a cross-over finals, maybe the top two or three each leading up to a finals. It would possibly give us different Japanese qualifiers every year. Plus, if a deal could be struck, the weekly WSR highlights show could feature footage from both leagues, to build brand awareness of the Japanese teams, so fans would have a level of interest in seeing the finals series.

IPRC + Top League >>> World Series Rugby finals.

Winners of the pennant head to the World Series, hmmm, has a ring to it.

But of course, the seasons would be out of sync.
    Well the Top League have moved their season to finish in January to accommodate the Sunwolves and WSR will start in March. No overlap.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    The RA talks about centralisation but yet doesn’t have the gonads to put a stop to this. This is also the body that turned down 50 million and the Chairman and vice Chairman thumbed their nose at Twiggy. I used to have a lot of respect for Brett Robinson but like Eales he has ruined it by being involved in this fiasco.

They need to tell the SRU that it is going ahead and the presence of a western Sydney professional side will actually benefit your clubs as juniors can represent the area they are from.

This is the only chance that Rugby has of going in the area with money as the sport is up against AFL which has unlimited funds. Now they have blown it and the sport may not have the chance again.

Once again they have not shown enough steel and made another wrong decision. They need to go before the game goes.
    I put this to Brett Mackay on The Roar who seems to be of the opinion that the SRU put the RA up to making this decision.

vCash
    I put this to Brett Mackay on The Roar who seems to be of the opinion that the SRU put the RA up to making this decision.
    How does the whole SRU and NSWRU thing work, does one oversee the other, or is this just another example of some bureaucratic sham system.

Hore from NSWRU seems to be doing the bulk of the talking

vCash
    The SRU is basically an independent branch of the NSWRU that is run separately. The SRU's role is basically to run the Shute Shield competition and to ensure it is viable.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast