Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Time running out to see if Twiggy Forrest can ruck and roll

Senior Player
    vCash
    Looks like you were right JSJ

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    But I think we definitely can assume 6 of the 8 teams will include two sides from Japan (most likely incl PWK), HK, Singapore, Fiji and Force

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Nice sly dig at the RA let's not forget this is the same organisation that believed that SA will shrink down to four sides to strengthen Super Rugby. In reality SARU knew the comp was going to cut teams so were talking to Celtic Rugby for over a year to get the two teams in to the Pro 12.

Snookered by SARU and underestimated how important the Cheetahs and Kings are to their partner.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    It seems pretty obvious that while World Rugby were in their backyard, RA played along like they were all for it and not throwing any roadblocks in the way of WSR, which was great because it got the recommendation needed for it to rubber stamped, not even RA can stop that happening now.

What they can do is what they have done, which make up a few stories about sand foundations (Melbourne is a desert based on the theory) and not enough time so they can try and get their ducks in order and get Western Sydney back on side via Parramatta merger. Remember it was predominantly Pacific Island team which was to be based in Western Sydney, not a Western Sydney team.

As far as NZ goes, I'm kind of glad they are not going to be in inaugural series. I would rather it be Asian based as first mooted.

No need in my opinion for Twiggy to say anything just because these RA mouthpieces run another story out of pure fear. Last time he spoke it was happening, and once he gets it signed sealed and delivered, we will hear a whole lot more. Until then nothing has changed despite what comes from eastern states press. If he reacts every time they grind their axe, that's all he will ever have time to do.

WSR is happening and I look forward to the details sometime in November.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Without the RANZR influence to bugger it up, this WSR, if marketed in the way it has been this year for exhibition matches, is going to be exciting stuff. All the Asian teams play a brand of rugby where anything can happen on any phase, then you add Fiji to that, WOW!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Without the RANZR influence to bugger it up, this WSR, if marketed in the way it has been this year for exhibition matches, is going to be exciting stuff. All the Asian teams play a brand of rugby where anything can happen on any phase, then you add Fiji to that, WOW!
    The teams the Force played this year were far more interesting than the same old boring super rugby sides week in week out. I really enjoyed those exhibition games, more so than the super rugby games of recent years. It was really good to see the sea of blue back and pumped up about world series rugby and its future.. there seems to be so much more energy around the game these days compared the days of the super rugby grind.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Twiggy has a plan B

Roadblocks won’t stop eight-team World Series Rugby competition

World Series Rugby is expected to debut with eight teams next year despite roadblocks being thrown out to slow down expansion sides in western Sydney and New Zealand.

Rugby Australia and Rugby NSW have said they cannot support the Sydney side because the turnaround for the March kick-off is too short. The New Zealand Rugby Union has also aired the same concerns about the inclusion of a WSR Kiwi team.

But mining magnate Andrew Forrest, who is bankrolling the new competition and the Western Force, has not been deterred and is forging ahead with the tournament.

WSR was already planning to expand to 10 teams in 2020 and if the Sydney and NZ teams are not included next year two alternative teams from the Asia Pacific region are likely to be brought in.

They would join the Force, two sides from Japan and one each from Fiji, Singapore, and Hong Kong in an eight team competition battling for a $1 million prize purse.

WSR has been given the tick approval by World Rugby’s executive committee, recommending approval to its full council for rubber-stamping, subject to regulatory and governance criteria.

Super Rugby broadcast deals end in 2020 and no doubt RA are wary of any new competition moving into their landscape before they can lock away contracts.

Forrest’s Minderoo organisation said it had “parties ready and willing” to support a western Sydney team for the 2019 timeframe but it was up to RA and NSW to let it happen.

“RA and NSWRU have discussed with Minderoo the possibility of establishing the Western Sydney team in 2020 instead of 2019 to allow them to do what they believe is the required planning to ensure the team is successful and integrates into the NSW rugby system,” Minderoo said in a statement.

“Minderoo continues to work with RA and NSWRU to enable the establishment of the Western Sydney at the most appropriate time.

“We would welcome a team into the competition as early as the 2019 season if its establishment was able to occur faster – but whether that happens is up to RA and NSWRU, in discussion with the parties who are ready and willing to support such a team in that timeframe.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...-ng-b88988545z
    And this is a story from someone who is not a Rats Arse mouthpiece and who is probably closer to WSR than the Eastern States grubby hacks. Didn't Nick Taylor write the first story about World Rugby giving the thumbs up, I think that tells us something
    So, now Twiggy has called the RA bluff again. Don't they ever learn - remember a certain $70 million that was turned down and look where it has all ended.
    They really must be pretty stupid if he ever thought he would take that laying down.
    Some of you have already mentioned this but in the original plan I don't remember W Sydney or NZ being part of the plan.
    So now they will have to wait and hope they can get in later. when WSR goes to 10 teams.
    I found it interesting, if not predictable, how quickly Payten jumped on the bandwagon to write a story as a RA employee. No I'm not surprised.

vCash
    The original leak came from Nick Taylor. You only have to read Hansie's past posts in regards to what he thinks of journalists like Pandaram.

Don't see many articles from Justin Chadwick these days. Does he still work for the papers?

They really must be pretty stupid if he ever thought he would take that laying down.
    Well they are given that SARU pulled a fast one on them. Followed through on ten years worth of threats to go to Europe.

Some of you have already mentioned this but in the original plan I don't remember W Sydney or NZ being part of the plan.
    Yep it also didn't include the potential to have two Top League teams in it which the RA have not mentioned it impacting the Sunwolves who already lose players half way through Super Rugby due to contractual obligations with their company teams.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Yep it also didn't include the potential to have two Top League teams in it which the RA have not mentioned it impacting the Sunwolves who already lose players half way through Super Rugby due to contractual obligations with their company teams.
    From what I have heard, there is a distinct possibility that the Sunwolves will not have a long term future.

I can't weigh up whether this is correct because of my limited knowledge of the country but it's a viewpoint from some people with a long rugby involvement in Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    And this is a story from someone who is not a Rats Arse mouthpiece and who is probably closer to WSR than the Eastern States grubby hacks. Didn't Nick Taylor write the first story about World Rugby giving the thumbs up, I think that tells us something
    So, now Twiggy has called the RA bluff again. Don't they ever learn - remember a certain $70 million that was turned down and look where it has all ended.
    So now they will have to wait and hope they can get in later. when WSR goes to 10 teams.
    I found it interesting, if not predictable, how quickly Payten jumped on the bandwagon to write a story as a RA employee. No I'm not surprised.
    Western Sydney was only announced during the half time break of the Panasonic Wild Knights game. Most were expecting more about the tournament structure/progress but Forrest surprised everyone with an announcement of putting a Western Sydney team in Australian Rugby's graveyard. A New Zealand team was rumored much earlier and most were predicting either North Harbour or Taranaki. I am pretty sure they were part of an original plan, if not the original plan then it was within a few months of the IPRC announcement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    The original leak came from Nick Taylor. You only have to read Hansie's past posts in regards to what he thinks of journalists like Pandaram.

Don't see many articles from Justin Chadwick these days. Does he still work for the papers?

Well they are given that SARU pulled a fast one on them. Followed through on ten years worth of threats to go to Europe.

Foxsports havent even reported any of this, in typical fashion they have no idea about the state of the game and what is really going on... their rugby reporting is gutter trash considering how insightful they should be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    From what I have heard, there is a distinct possibility that the Sunwolves will not have a long term future.

I can't weigh up whether this is correct because of my limited knowledge of the country but it's a viewpoint from some people with a long rugby involvement in Japan.
    Like the Rebels the set up of the team was flawed from the beginning. If you don't get it right from the beginning it is very difficult to fix it. Especially when you are trying to win games on the pitch as well. The Brumbies were the only start up team to be successful on the pitch from the go and the Force had a very good platform to work from with a large membership and sponsorship base. Finished mid table in their second year.

The Sunwolves have the fans and the sponsors but playing a lot of their games in SA, Singapore and Hong Kong along with a very short pre season doesn't help them win games. For their first season they took to long to sign players and announce their staff.

The Sunwolves will probably fit in to WSR whether as an existing team or the players go back to their clubs and play for them in the competition. Hong Kong and Singapore having their own WSR teams will cut out the need to have a Japanese team spread out games.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Foxsports havent even reported any of this, in typical fashion they have no idea about the state of the game and what is really going on... their rugby reporting is gutter trash considering how insightful they should be.
    Still nothing up on the website.

vCash
    Considering how poor the Waratahs crowds were this year (especially the Lions and Highlanders games) that I assume the NSWRU are absolutely terrified beyond belief that if someone sets up a team in Western Sydney then the Waratards will end up losing what little support they currently have. Obviously almost no one in Sydney and North and South of the Harbour bridge care for the game anymore and if they lose the small pocket of Western Sydney fans then it's likely we will see crowds in Sydney similar to the crowds we already see in Melbourne/ And Geelong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    It's certainly something I've been thinking of, a way for RANZR to extract the money out of Twiggy that they missed out on when RA rejected the 70mill... A way to fund Western Sydney and a sixth Kiwi pro-team with Twiggy's money...
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    There's also a part of me that's wondering if there was a possibility of it being...
    "Okay Twiggy, you want our sanctioning? You take care of Western Sydney for us; we can't be stuffed with it."

I can imagine RA saying "put your money into it" in a similar way they did to the old Newcastle ARC/NRC bid.

As a matter of fact, considering how long as lot of this is taking, and that WSR has had to be vague with potential franchisees because of it; I wonder if NZRugby also held them to ransom in the same way, so they could get Twiggy to fund a sixth pro-team in New Zealand.

I'm thinking both RA and NZR have veto powers at World Rugby level, so they could scupper any talk of WR funding the involvement of poorer PI/Asian unions.

Long term, I could see how they could interpret this as a threat to their powerbase; potentially without South Africa, there is no SANZAAR, so Australia and New Zealand could see themselves losing control of the game in Australasia to billionaire club-owners, if WSR becomes a roaring success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Love the comment about “you can’t put a professional team and build it on sand.” Isn’t that exactly what the ARU did when they strong-armed the Rebels into Stupor Rugby?
    Stupor Rugby??!! Hey! You stole that off me! At least put a trademark next to it, Alison! Stupor Rugby™

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast