Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Call To Arms to Save Australian Rugby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    And I imagine there were quite a lot of Poles happy to see the Russians too, helping them to see off those dreadful Germans....

They have zero credibility looking after anyone but themselves. Folk must really miss WA rugby the way it was in the 70's.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Brett Papworth's son wrote on Twitter to Hugh Cavill that it is really a mechanism for clubs to have their say in the running of the game which I agree with as how many more years of levy paying and disconnect can the game afford?
    I think mob have chosen the wrong front man to lead their rebellion. Based on Pappy's rants in the past, I am not sure who is worse him or Clyne. I think WA should watch the fight from a safe distance and hope that more sensible leaders emerge out of the chaos. In the meanwhile we hope WSR gets stronger and stronger.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well at the least SOMEONE in the East is doing SOMETHING! Christ knows it’s taking them long enough to step out from the inertia, and actually make some kind of move.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Well at the least SOMEONE in the East is doing SOMETHING! Christ knows it’s taking them long enough to step out from the inertia, and actually make some kind of move.
    Agree 100%. Good debate on GAGR at last about what should happen in the future.

Champion
    vCash
    Pappy and I have exchanged a couple of e-mails over his call to arms. Actually a few weeks ago we commiserated over the parlous state of Union in Australia.

1. Pappy accepts he is seen as Sydney Centric but quote: " this is only a Steering committee.If the clubs want to do this and have a voice, it will be theirs to run and be represented as they see fit.We just happen to be the people who are attempting to create a mechanism for change."

2. "We are just mug volunteers who care enough to keep fighting. If people have a problem with that I couldn't care less."

2 years ago, Pappy and I were at loggerheads over the Force. Not that he ever wanted the Force to go, in fact he couldn't care if it were the Tahs to go, his view is that the ARU had lost total touch with Grassroots and pissed the money up against losing super rugby franchises.

Anyway, over time we actually started to see each other's point of view. He still does not think RWS will succeed, but admits it's more because he hasn't focussed on it. He points out that Club Rugby is booming, people rather go to watch Shute shield than Super Rugby.

His dream would be to have a proper club competition Australia wide, create tribalism, have Soaks play Randwick and Brothers etc. Get into the Schools and Juniors, get rid of Super Rugby and so on....However, he accepts it all comes to $$$, he also accepts that his ideas and dreams very likely would not resonate in WA, or QLD, so he believes Grassroots needs to engage in the discussion and hence he is happy to be part of the steering committee.

So...We as a community can decide whether we accept his points in good faith and become part of the discussion with eyes wide open, or we just rant about the closed shop of Sydney Rugby and how badly we are treated and misunderstood.

Your choice...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Pappy and I have exchanged a couple of e-mails over his call to arms. Actually a few weeks ago we commiserated over the parlous state of Union in Australia.

1. Pappy accepts he is seen as Sydney Centric but quote: " this is only a Steering committee.If the clubs want to do this and have a voice, it will be theirs to run and be represented as they see fit.We just happen to be the people who are attempting to create a mechanism for change."

2. "We are just mug volunteers who care enough to keep fighting. If people have a problem with that I couldn't care less."

2 years ago, Pappy and I were at loggerheads over the Force. Not that he ever wanted the Force to go, in fact he couldn't care if it were the Tahs to go, his view is that the ARU had lost total touch with Grassroots and pissed the money up against losing super rugby franchises.

Anyway, over time we actually started to see each other's point of view. He still does not think RWS will succeed, but admits it's more because he hasn't focussed on it. He points out that Club Rugby is booming, people rather go to watch Shute shield than Super Rugby.

His dream would be to have a proper club competition Australia wide, create tribalism, have Soaks play Randwick and Brothers etc. Get into the Schools and Juniors, get rid of Super Rugby and so on....However, he accepts it all comes to $$$, he also accepts that his ideas and dreams very likely would not resonate in WA, or QLD, so he believes Grassroots needs to engage in the discussion and hence he is happy to be part of the steering committee.

So...We as a community can decide whether we accept his points in good faith and become part of the discussion with eyes wide open, or we just rant about the closed shop of Sydney Rugby and how badly we are treated and misunderstood.

Your choice...
    I would much rather be inside the inner circle with some say than continue down the path of exile.

I hope this starts a proper revolution and ultimately Clyne needs to go, I wonder how long this drags on before Clyne and the board resign, if they dont the infighting will surely destroy the code once and for all, especially on the East Coast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like he is keen that all clubs have a voice. So in good faith, perhaps they should ensure that each state body has one representative, and that includes Tasmania, South Australia and the NT. No-one has more or less claim to represent grass roots rugby.

Although that then begs the question what is the point of the various state bodies. They are elected by the clubs, so why is another body even required....?

Player
    vCash
    Jeremy Paul mentioned the axing of western force and the discussion on the administration and how you only give Twiggy the billion dollars man 30 minutes. Liked him as a player and like him as an advocate for rugby unless proven otherwise.

Player
    vCash
    Oh on Billand Boz on foxsports

Player
    vCash
    Just had my message on BillandBoz read out agreeing with Jeremy Paul.
    JP is totally right we at the Western Force continue to feel dudded and are thankful for the gusto Twiggy puts into rugby in WA. The administration needs to be cleaned out as its imploding rapidly. Brendon Canon’s opinion piece in the Daily Telegraph says it all ‘Rugby’s Rapid De-Clyne’

Frustrated Force fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Brendon Canon’s opinion piece in the Daily Telegraph says it all ‘Rugby’s Rapid De-Clyne’
    Hi Canno.
    Stop stealing Bakkies corny nicknames. :

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by shasta; 03-10-18 at 21:39.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Jeremy Paul mentioned the axing of western force and the discussion on the administration and how you only give Twiggy the billion dollars man 30 minutes. Liked him as a player and like him as an advocate for rugby unless proven otherwise.
    He is one of the few that has the balls to say what he thinks.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Sounds like he is keen that all clubs have a voice. So in good faith, perhaps they should ensure that each state body has one representative, and that includes Tasmania, South Australia and the NT. No-one has more or less claim to represent grass roots rugby.

Although that then begs the question what is the point of the various state bodies. They are elected by the clubs, so why is another body even required....?
    You are right, but the State bodies with a super rugby team have 2 votes and without one gets one at RA AGMs etc.

So... Pappy says every state should be invited to partake on an equal basis in being part of his steering committee.

Personally I think we nominate our President to represent grass roots on this committee. The President knows Community Rugby, he/she represents community rugby on the State board, he/she knows each club president and is therefore best placed to speak for clubs on Pappy's committee.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Then we are hearing very different things. Or fail to recognise that the turkey also participates in Christmas dinner.

What Papworth said was "If the clubs provide the imprimatur it is most likely that in the inaugural year the governance will consist of one representative from each of Queensland, NSW, NSW Country, ACT and WA plus Brett Papworth. Thereafter democratic elections will determine the composition."

So those democratic elections...they'd be every club person in Australia for every position? It would have to be, if that is what is going to determine the composition rather than have it predefined. So no promises on the composition of the board after that first election, and of course after the clubs across Australia have agreed to call it their new representative body. Based on what is being proposed, as it is being proposed, it is unlikely we would even see the previous composition of "administrators from the heartlands of NSW, Queensland and one from the other states went on to the National Body" that they miss so much.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    You are right, but the State bodies with a super rugby team have 2 votes and without one gets one at RA AGMs etc.

So... Pappy says every state should be invited to partake on an equal basis in being part of his steering committee.

Personally I think we nominate our President to represent grass roots on this committee. The President knows Community Rugby, he/she represents community rugby on the State board, he/she knows each club president and is therefore best placed to speak for clubs on Pappy's committee.
    Just be very careful with these smooth talking boys for the east. They have conned us once already.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast