Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: World Series Rugby gets tick of approval from World Rugby Council

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Yeah, 'cause a side that kicks everyone's ass is just what a fledgling competition needs. The All Blacks are a great drawcard, these are not the All Blacks. Nobody around the rugby world is salivating at the thought of a visit from Manuwatu or the Highlanders.

All this will do is split the Perth and Western Sydney teams' fanbases.

Sorry to be that guy folks; I'm happy with news of the new competition, but I would have hoped Minderoo would have learnt from Super Rugby. I hope that I'm proven wrong and the Kiwis don't stack the team with Super Rugby reservists and Mitre 10 Cup Premiership talent, I hope that the whole Kiwi ex-pat rugby public in Perth and Western Sydney come to support their local professional teams in what should be a vibrant new competition; rather than come out only to support the Kiwi side when they visit and boo the locals.

I hope I'm proven wrong.
    I dont think you are "that guy". They are reasonable points. But I would like to think the sea of blue is passionate enough to turn up and watch their side week in week out with large enough crowds similar if not bigger than the World Series Rugby exhibition attendances without the need to be stacked up full of expat kiwis. If the kiwis dont want to support the Force and just want to turn up for a one off game against the mitre10 all stars then so be it. We would probably end up with a situation where once a year the stadium is jam packed, and the excitement and anticipation is unmatched in any other game due to the support generated behind the mitre10 cup all star side. It would be a similar situation to Melbourne when they got dismal crowds and then got a huge attendance for the one off Hurricanes match. Huge draw card but those fans are never going to support Melbourne(or the Force) but what they are new fans being sucked into a new comp and hopefully one day they may be stolen completly frim Super Rugby and become fanatic World Series rugby fans. This competition will need as much support and popularity as it can possibly get and the expat New Zealand population is a great source to tap into.

The only down side would be a Crusaders like dynasty. In my opinion.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    I dont think you are "that guy". They are reasonable points. But I would like to think the sea of blue is passionate enough to turn up and watch their side week in week out with large enough crowds similar if not bigger than the World Series Rugby exhibition attendances without the need to be stacked up full of expat kiwis. If the kiwis dont want to support the Force and just want to turn up for a one off game against the mitre10 all stars then so be it. We would probably end up with a situation where once a year the stadium is jam packed, and the excitement and anticipation is unmatched in any other game due to the support generated behind the mitre10 cup all star side. It would be a similar situation to Melbourne when they got dismal crowds and then got a huge attendance for the one off Hurricanes match. Huge draw card but those fans are never going to support Melbourne(or the Force) but what they are new fans being sucked into a new comp and hopefully one day they may be stolen completly frim Super Rugby and become fanatic World Series rugby fans. This competition will need as much support and popularity as it can possibly get and the expat New Zealand population is a great source to tap into.

The only down side would be a Crusaders like dynasty. In my opinion.
    SPaRTAN, I understand what you're saying, but I am concerned about this long term. After 13 years in Super Rugby and then again this year in WSR, seeing young kids in the crowd with Aussie accents wearing different NZ team jerseys and booing the Force, while their parents look on in gleeful approval is heartbreaking. I just hope it's not the "same shit, different bucket" for the next 13 years. And it's going to be worse for the Western Sydney team.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    I think I'll be patient and wait for the official announcement from Minderoo/Western Force before I comment further.
    You're right actually, words of wisdom. I should calm down a bit.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Whatever the case, I reckon the memberships are going to have a large spike in interest after today's exciting announcement!

No surprises about the timing of the above announcement.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Happy happy and since the inception of the force have never not been a member so what would life be without it. I don’t ever want to find out and thanks to the hard work and fortitude of Mindaroo I don’t have to.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Happy happy and since the inception of the force have never not been a member so what would life be without it. I don’t ever want to find out and thanks to the hard work and fortitude of Mindaroo I don’t have to.
    What are the benefits of being a member again? Havent been one since about the first 3-4 years but havent really seen any need to be a member and it's been so long now I cant remember what the benefits are.

vCash
    The overarching benefit is that is where a significant revenue stream is for the team to continue to play. I ain’t no twiggy but every bit helps me and my famlily to be able to continue to watch the game we love.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    The overarching benefit is that is where a significant revenue stream is for the team to continue to play. I ain’t no twiggy but every bit helps me and my famlily to be able to continue to watch the game we love.
    Doesn't seem like a massive benefit if it is just a donation to the club. In today's economic climate where alot of people are living week to week and have other priorities like kids to feed etc. Then this sort of thing wont really appeal to them unless they get something decent out of it. It is a tough ask to get people to part with their money if they dont see a genuine return. Especially people new to the sport or those still sitting on the fence...

vCash
    for 12 years, I was telling myself that the key benefit (apart from the obvious one of being able to watch professional rugby in WA) was that I had a good seat reserved for the time when the team "made it" and seats were at a premium.

There was also a discount on seat prices vs game-by-game purchases.

Free merch every year, and the feeling of belonging to something.

I was on the boes of my arse for the last few years and I managed to find the cashola every year. It was worth every cent.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    for 12 years, I was telling myself that the key benefit (apart from the obvious one of being able to watch professional rugby in WA) was that I had a good seat reserved for the time when the team "made it" and seats were at a premium.

There was also a discount on seat prices vs game-by-game purchases.

Free merch every year, and the feeling of belonging to something.

I was on the boes of my arse for the last few years and I managed to find the cashola every year. It was worth every cent.
    There doesnt seem to be alot of information out there about what you actually receive or what it will approximately cost. I am on the fence about it and will probably wait and see what they offer. I usually get discounted / free tickets through having kids enrolled in the junior rugby setup so it might be worthwhile getting a membership to support the cause (depending on cost etc.)

vCash

vCash

A sudden death final series means there wont be a preliminary final. It will be a Semi Final 1= 1st vs 4th and Semi Final 2= 2nd vs 3rd elimination. With the Final = Winner of Semi Final 1 vs Winner of Semi Final 2 determining who gets the 1 million dollar prize.

Unless they did it another way and rewarded the ladder winner by making them automatic Finalists with the remaining finals being Quarter Final 3rd vs 4th with the winner playing in the semi final against 2nd ( Quarter final winner vs 2nd on the ladder with the winner of that game meeting the ladder winner in the final. Personally that is too large of a break for the ladder leader to wait to play in the final and I reckon they will go for a straight 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 elimination setup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Doesn't seem like a massive benefit if it is just a donation to the club. In today's economic climate where alot of people are living week to week and have other priorities like kids to feed etc. Then this sort of thing wont really appeal to them unless they get something decent out of it. It is a tough ask to get people to part with their money if they dont see a genuine return. Especially people new to the sport or those still sitting on the fence...
    If not watching and supporting the Force doesn’t seem like much of a benefit to you then maybe you took a wrong turn on the WWW coming to this website.

Also if people are worrying about feeding their kids I would challenge that any kind of memebership for any superfluous outgoing would not be worth it no matter how many hats you get out of it.

Ps still rocking the Visor.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So there is more waiting till it goes to another committee in November. Four months is not long from approval to kick off.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    So there is more waiting till it goes to another committee in November. Four months is not long from approval to kick off.
    Yeah its worrying but I wonder if Andrew Forrest has been told it's been approved in principle but nothing can be done untill the Council sits again which is in November some time. Frustrating that things move like an iceberg in the rugby world... it is a sport that really needs to sharpen its act when commercial opportunities come about because in Rugby it doesnt seem to be too often and when they appear rather than be proactive the sport seems to drag its feet. Its refreshing seeing Forrests energy to make this happen. It would probably have been a 5 year project to get off the ground if Rugby Australia went anywhere near it.

vCash
    The glass is definitely half empty!

May the FORCE be with you!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast