Thread: Stirring, impromptu haka tribute after Kiwi Roger Tuivasa-Sheck’s Dally M award win

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Stirring, impromptu haka tribute after Kiwi Roger Tuivasa-Sheck’s Dally M award win

PerthNow
    September 27, 2018 7:34AM

ROGER Tuivasa-Sheck’s fellow countrymen led an emotional tribute to this year’s Dally M winner at the conclusion of the ceremony.

Unprompted and unscripted, Warriors hooker Issac Luke jumped from his chair and broke into a traditional Maori haka in honour of the very first New Zealand Warrior to win the prestigious award, which is the equivalent of the AFL’s Brownlow Medal.

He was soon joined by fellow Kiwis Jamayne Isaako, Esan Marsters, and Jordan Rapana as the room came to a standstill.
    Jazz Tevaga, the interchange player of the year, was up on the stage with Tuivasa-Sheck and other members of the team of the year but left the stage, took off his jacket and joined in with his fellow New Zealanders.

"That’s just crazy. Where I’m from back in New Zealand there is a special moment for me," Tuivasa-Sheck said.
    Jordan Rapana takes part in the Haka as well.

"Back home when something happens, the haka is performed to bring up a special occasion and just to be receiving on is a big honour.

"To have Bully (Issac Luke) a close friend of mine do it for me and a close group of friends there was truly special for me."
    Broadcaster Fox Sports ensured that they captured the emotion as the event came to an end and praise started flowing on social media.

Tuivasa-Sheck was also crowned fullback of the year for 2018.

He was joined in the 2018 Dally M team of the year by Blake Ferguson (wing), Joseph Leilua (centre), Cameron Munster (five-eighth), Brooks (halfback), Andrew Fifita (prop), Damien Cook(hooker), Josh Jackson (second row), Jason Taumalolo (lock) and Tevaga (interchange).

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...-ng-b88973509z

I'm all for the Haka remaining part of what it has always been with All Blacks, but IMHO is was another occasion where it is not being used for it's intended purpose and is starting to where thin and losing it's meaning and the respect it deserves. It's starting to become as unwanted as Aussie Aussie Aussie Oih Oih Oih

From https://www.newzealand.com/au/feature/haka/

The haka is a type of ancient Māori war dance traditionally used on the battlefield, as well as when groups came together in peace. Haka are a fierce display of a tribe's pride, strength and unity. Actions include violent foot-stamping, tongue protrusions and rhythmic body slapping to accompany a loud chant. The words of a haka often poetically describe ancestors and events in the tribe's history.
    Today, haka are still used during Māori ceremonies and celebrations to honour guests and show the importance of the occasion. This includes family events, like birthdays and weddings.
    Haka are also used to challenge opponents on the sports field. You may have seen a haka performed by New Zealand’s All Blacks before a rugby match? You’ll probably agree that it’s a terrifying sight to behold!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I thought it was great sign of respect for one of their mates who had accomplished something pretty awesome. It means a heck of a lot more than an Aussie Aussie Aussie Oih Oih Oih, culturally.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Agree with TIF.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    The major problem I'm having with the haka is that it's turning into issue of political correctness

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?