Thread: Mitchell to join Eddie's England as defence coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Mitchell to join Eddie's England as defence coach

Today at 9:38 AM International
    by AFP

Former New Zealand head coach John Mitchell is to take charge of England's defence after the Rugby Football Union paid South African province Blue Bulls a reported £200,000 ($260,000) in compensation.

The 54-year-old -- who guided the All Blacks to the 2003 World Cup semi-finals where they lost to hosts and bitter rivals Australia -- fills the vacuum left by Paul Gustard, who took over at Premiership side Harlequins after England's tour of South Africa in June.

Mitchell is no stranger to English rugby. He coached the England forwards under Clive Woodward in the late 1990s and had two spells with Sale -- as head coach and then as director of rugby -- and was an assistant coach with Wasps.

"I will use all my experience and focus to bring the necessary clarity and confidence to the players from a defensive perspective," said Mitchell, who was executive of rugby at the Bulls.

Jones said Mitchell would be an asset to England.

“Defence is a key pillar of our game and John is an experienced coach,” said Jones.

“He’s coached the All Blacks, USA Rugby and a number of Super Rugby sides so he will bring a wealth of experience and add to the coaching mix we have here.”

Mitchell was the inaugural coach of the Western Force but left in controversial circumstances, with reports of a player revolt. Mitchell's reputation as abrasive saw the same scenario unfold at the Lions in Johannesburg in 2012.

Mitchell will have to hit the ground running as England face a tough series of Tests in November and head coach Eddie Jones is under pressure to turn results around after a poor year so far.

Scott Wisemantel will continue his role as attack coach, after working with England on the tour of South Africa.

The 48-year-old Australian was recently backs coach for Top 14 club Montpellier and worked with Jones when he was head coach of Japan at the 2015 World Cup.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/0...-england-jones

Fancy appointing a new Defence Coach one year out from a World Cup, what do they think they are going to achieve by doing that

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    England go with Mitchell, palmares listed above

We go with some bloke called Simon Raiwalui, a mate of Cheikas from down the pub

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    England go with Mitchell, palmares listed above

We go with some bloke called Simon Raiwalui, a mate of Cheikas from down the pub
    Or, alternatively, England went with a coach who's failed at most of the positions he ever held: took the All Blacks to 3rd in a World Cup, leaving because of 'difficult relationships'; didn't do too well with Waikato; had one good season for the Force (maybe 2, in 5 years); won a Currie Cup with the Golden Lions but got sacked due to player dissatisfaction; lasted only a couple of months at Sale, citing 'personal reasons'; "turned down" the Scotland job; was beaten by Eddie Jones for the England job; and signed a 4-year deal to coach the USA and left after 18 months under a cloud of player dissatisfaction and poor results.

Australia have gone with the ex-general manager of Racing 92 and is currently coaching at Stade Francais under Heyneke Meyer. SF are 4th in the Top 14 (OK, after 3 games!)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    I think that Mitchell does all right when he's not in charge overall, he's done good work with England before.

Having said that, after the last campaign, I would have thought England needed an attack coach, rather than a defence one.

Here's a question, what would the Wallabies be like with Jake White in charge, but with an excellent attack coach in partnership with him?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Probably no different than with Jake white and a fence post, but I might be giving the fence post too much credit.

C'mon the

vCash

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I think that Mitchell does all right when he's not in charge overall, he's done good work with England before.

Having said that, after the last campaign, I would have thought England needed an attack coach, rather than a defence one.

Here's a question, what would the Wallabies be like with Jake White in charge, but with an excellent attack coach in partnership with him?
    To be fair I dont think Jake Whites style would work very well these days, not in the era of all out attack phase play. It isnt like Jake White's world cup was anything to brag about, it is known as the easiest World cup draw of all time. His team fell into the easy side of the draw and due to some dubious decisions in both the All Black and Wallabies game they didnt have to encounter anyone of merit in the final. They got Fiji and struggled against them, then the Argies who were back then pretty awful against anyone other than France. And ofcourse the team they pants in pool play, England in the final, a team that was utterly terrible and that final should probably have not been anywhere near as close, especially had that England try been awarded.