Thread: Test rugby facing 'ruin' unless changes made, fears World Rugby's Agustin Pichot

vCash

Test rugby facing 'ruin' unless changes made, fears World Rugby's Agustin Pichot

Nice mention towards the end of Billionaires aligning with the governing bodies effectively. I assume he is meaning Andrew Forrest and the disgraceful way the RA have treated him.

Test rugby facing 'ruin' unless changes made, fears World Rugby's Agustin Pichot

Last updated 09:54, September 13 2018

World Rugby vice chairman Agustin Pichot wants a Sydney meeting this month to help map out a proper future for the game.
    GETTY IMAGES

World Rugby vice chairman Agustin Pichot wants a Sydney meeting this month to help map out a proper future for the game.

World Rugby vice-chairman Agustin Pichot has given a dire assessment of the sport, saying the international game is under threat and facing ruin if urgent action isn't taken.

He wants unions and clubs to come up with another 10-year blueprint before next year's World Cup in Japan, starting with a crucial meeting in Sydney later this month.

It seems hopes from a meeting 18 months ago that tried to sort out a global calendar through to 2032 have dimmed with Pichot declaring fresh thinking is needed.

The All Blacks remain the international game's drawcard but World Rugby are desperate to see the workload on players ...
    PHOTOSORT

The All Blacks remain the international game's drawcard but World Rugby are desperate to see the workload on players ease through a better global calendar.

"If you ask me as a businessman, the business side of it is not working," Pichot told The Guardian.

"If you ask me as the playing side, it's not working. Is the international game under threat? I think it is. Look at the balance sheets of some nations and you can see exactly where we stand.

"By the 2019 World Cup we need to have a blueprint for the next 10 years. On a scale of one to 10, I think we're four out of 10 now [in terms of finding a solution] but before we were not even on the chart. We need to push that needle from four to at least six or seven. I'm not going to be an accomplice to rugby's ruin."

Pichot, a strong advocate for the players, fears that they are the ones who will be hurting most.

"My view is that players cannot carry on playing as they are now. You cannot have them playing 30-odd competitive club and international games just because you want bums on seats," Pichot told The Guardian.

Ad Feedback

"I have been a professional player so I understand how it goes but you have to take care of the athlete. The first principle is the players' welfare because they inspire everyone, both us now and the next generation. That is important for the growth of the game."

Pichot said as a businessman he wanted "a safe business model and for the international game to be respected".

"The growth of the game is very big for me; I like to see emerging countries develop. If rugby wants to be big and a sound business, we cannot behave like an old-school organisation."

Pichot said there was a need to regroup in Sydney and work out how wealthy club owners could align better with national bodies to ensure a proper calendar.

"The biggest problem – in business and in sport – is egos. I don't have that problem," he said.

- Stuff

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    A lot of veiled references there as well Spartan,

The references to the business model, straight out of Twiggy's playbook, The development of emerging countries, also a problem that WSR solves, the swipe at ego....aimed right at Clyne.

I think he's going to be an advocate for WSR, knowing Pichot's international career, and comparing it to Brett Robinson's it's clear who to back in that stoush.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    A lot of veiled references there as well Spartan,

The references to the business model, straight out of Twiggy's playbook, The development of emerging countries, also a problem that WSR solves, the swipe at ego....aimed right at Clyne.

I think he's going to be an advocate for WSR, knowing Pichot's international career, and comparing it to Brett Robinson's it's clear who to back in that stoush.
    Yep Brett Robinson could learn a thing or twenty from Pichot.

Those two seem to be doing the opposite to their careers. Pichot is enhancing his reputation by having the best interests of the game at heart and for encouraging development around the Rugby world. And Robinson is just destroying his reputation by being a Clyne puppet and doing everything in his power to destroy Australian and Western Australian rugby and by putting roadblock after roadblock in the way of Andrew Forrest and developing Rugby in countries where it doesn't get alot of exposure and basically for having sour grapes that they couldnt eradicate the Force from existance!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I think you are reading into it. The issues around an international season and club v country have been allowed to drift a bit, and are only getting worse as the inevitable creep has set into Australia starting to pick overseas players like Tomua'a. It is not clear who all is supposed to be meeting in Sydney, but they will have the Devils own job getting anything useful out of it. Credit to any of them that actually try though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!